OP
OP
John Winter

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMHO. What isn't awesome is someone from another country who comes on here promoting their blog and trying to sell their buddies books. But that is just my awesome opinion.
I wondered how long it would be before there was a personal attack instead of a continuing debate on the subject. Am I to assume that because I come from the UK that I am not welcome on here? My post wasn't a criticism, but just a comment on how we use language in a different way.

Contrary to what you say, I didn't come on here to promote my blog or sell books. I have made about 25 posts since I arrived and only three of those have been related to my blog. I have helped people with identifications, taken part in discussion, asked questions, started threads, and generally contributed in a positive way to the forum. During that time I have given 8 'likes' and received 19 in return.

If your view is representative of subscribers in general, then I will happily sling my hook. Please advise. Also for your information before posting anything I asked Administration if it would be okay to give the occasional link to my blog. The answer was positive.

I realise that I have ruffled feathers on here and for that I apologise. It wasn't my intention.

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Frankn.... The word is used not only to describe an object but it comes from the person's point of view. What they've seen and done thus far personally. Hell if I found a single common 1800's coin on this old wagon trail instead of horseshoes THAT WOULD BE AWESOME for ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I'd tell the world also about it.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My post wasn't a criticism, but just a comment on how we use language in a different way.

Can't speak for everybody else, but I took no offense to your post. Just curious, if you were strolling along a beach in the British Isles and stumbled onto a Spanish gold doubloon, what would your first words be? For me, it would be "HOLY !", not 'awesome'.

U.S and U.K. - two nations separated by a common language.

Last edited by a moderator:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wondered how long it would be before there was a personal attack instead of a continuing debate on the subject. Am I to assume that because I come from the UK that I am not welcome on here? My post wasn't a criticism, but just a comment on how we use language in a different way.

Contrary to what you say, I didn't come on here to promote my blog or sell books. I have made about 25 posts since I arrived and only three of those have been related to my blog. I have helped people with identifications, taken part in discussion, asked questions, started threads, and generally contributed in a positive way to the forum. During that time I have given 8 'likes' and received 19 in return.

If your view is representative of subscribers in general, then I will happily sling my hook. Please advise. Also for your information before posting anything I asked Administration if it would be okay to give the occasional link to my bog. The answer was positive.

I realise that I have ruffled feathers on here and for that I apologise. It wasn't my intention.

You ARE welcome here, John. Always. :occasion14:

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bloody awesome

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
There are some different meanings to the same word like 'bully'. I believe in England it stands for friend while here it means a tormentor. Frank...- five star.png
079.jpg Hay, you could take this either way. lol

OP
OP
John Winter

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you mean BUDDY, Frank?
A bully is a bully wherever they are ...

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Do you mean BUDDY, Frank?
A bully is a bully wherever they are ...

Back in the 40's my father had a friend from England who use to use the word 'bully' all the time, even the term bully, bully as a remark. I ask my father what he meant. He told me 'good or friend, just like buddy.
Maybe the words change even over there. Frank...- five star.png
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=2]AWESOME! :([/h]

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May I be permitted to say that I think that 'awesome' is a word over-used on here and has a lot of its original meaning. I've just read a post where a couple of people have described buttons as 'awesome'. They are NOT 'awesome'. My mates unearthing of 85 gold Celtic staters might qualify as 'awesome', but then I am not so sure. The Grand Canyon is truly 'awesome' (for example). This is 'awesome' BBC News - Jersey hoard: Archaeologists unpick 70,000 coins

Sorry guys, this is a word that grates on my tender Limey sensibilities. What word are you going to use when something truly 'awesome' is found?

<-----

I felt compelled to comment on this thread, as the word in question is the basis of my pseudonym here. For me, this name is a play on words and it means to describe how I feel about gold prospecting.

I have to say that I like this topic. It's a depature from the normal thread. I have always been interested in foreign language and culture. I regularly incorporate phrases I have learned into my day-to-day language with people I am close to. One of my favorite British phrases is 'dirty stop-out' (one who stays out late). It makes me laugh every time I think of it. It also confuses anyone I say it to! German phrases are often used in America by those with an interest or where there is a popular culture hook. 'Danke', 'Bitte', 'Sehr Gut', and even 'Auf Weidersehen' while not common, are not rare either. I'm in California; parts of which are a true cultural metling pot. The language spectrum is wide here. You might say AnNyongHasaeo!, Konichiwa!, Dobre-Dehn! here and end up in a conversation. This is a fact that I treasure.

To answer the original question, I tend to use 'awesome'. After all, I am an American on the West coast :) I find myself in less trouble if I use this instead of 'holy :censored:', or ':censored: yeah' as it keeps the ears of the little ones more virgin :D. Oh, ':censored: fantastic' or ':censored: amazing' tend to be phrases I use. *ahem* ... :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
John Winter

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for your comments, AuSomeness.
I like the play-on-words in your username.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Now I have a few questions for you Mr. Winter, if you dont mind. being over the pond, do folks over there casually use the F- word ? I guess y'all use the word ( no offense meant ) shag ? and if so where does the word shag originate ? can you give a context to how it was used and why ?
if it is to offensive please PM. thanks.

Mike

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember we have rules on language, substituting characters for letters to bypass censor still violates our rules...

Not directed at your post BC, another post was deleted and 2 edited..

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use awesome a lot, personal expression of my happiness for fellow T H 'ers and their finds!

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May I be permitted to say that I think that 'awesome' is a word over-used on here and has a lot of its original meaning. I've just read a post where a couple of people have described buttons as 'awesome'. They are NOT 'awesome'. My mates unearthing of 85 gold Celtic staters might qualify as 'awesome', but then I am not so sure. The Grand Canyon is truly 'awesome' (for example). This is 'awesome' BBC News - Jersey hoard: Archaeologists unpick

Sorry guys, this is a word that grates on my tender Limey sensibilities. What word are you going to use when something truly 'awesome' is found?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-28900555

Awesomely wicked cool, how awesome is the awesomeness of the English language, pretty awesome huh?..lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions