OP
OP
John Winter

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now I have a few questions for you Mr. Winter, if you dont mind. being over the pond, do folks over there casually use the F- word ? I guess y'all use the word ( no offense meant ) shag ? and if so where does the word shag originate ? can you give a context to how it was used and why ?
if it is to offensive please PM. thanks.

Mike

Hi, Milke
Expect a PM ...

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Hi, Milke
Expect a PM ...

Perhaps it can be equated to the use of the word beaver here. Frank...- five star.png STILL LIFE 5 028.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
John Winter. Awesome was popular in the 1980's. One of those words that pops up anywhere from a year or two after another popular one. Some even decades apart through history..
Cool,epic,gnarly ect..

Last edited:

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember we have rules on language, substituting characters for letters to bypass censor still violates our rules...

Not directed at your post BC, another post was deleted and 2 edited..

Apologies. I was not trying to bypass the filter... I actually didn't know there was one! I followed previous examples, thinking it was the norm. I edited my post.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've read every post on four pages and I can't believe nobody has mentioned --- well ----- I reckon I'm a dirty old man ---- perhaps it's cold in the UK, and the ladies are bundled up all the time, but here in Oregon when the weather is fair, there is only one word to properly describe certain female forms, and that is AWESOME.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey there John Winter, I worked for a British company for over 20 years (JCB), and had the pleasure of working with many Brits, as well as visiting there on many occasions. I can't disagree that "awesome" is overused here per the British context, and would have to comment that the term "brilliant" seems to be overused there, per normal USA contexts. Would you agree?
Toodles, redbeard

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I don't get it Frank :icon_scratch: ???

Mike

In my younger days, beaver was a slang term that referred to a certain part of the female body.
I hope that slips by. Perhaps shag was derived from this. Frank...- five star.png

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this show was on Network television...so might be OK. I say this, as my daughter tells me I have a potty mouth at times...

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just want to say that John Winter is an extremely knowledgeable detectorist, writer and a good friend. Trust me he is not out to sell anyone's books. He has a lot he can offer here and will be a real plus to the forum.

Personally I don't have any feelings one way or another regarding the word "awesome". The word/expression that I find somewhat annoying is "sweet"....

Last edited:
OP
OP
John Winter

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Dick. Where do I send the cheque (check) ... same address?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread