AWESOME!

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May I be permitted to say that I think that 'awesome' is a word over-used on here and has a lot of its original meaning. I've just read a post where a couple of people have described buttons as 'awesome'. They are NOT 'awesome'. My mates unearthing of 85 gold Celtic staters might qualify as 'awesome', but then I am not so sure. The Grand Canyon is truly 'awesome' (for example). This is 'awesome' BBC News - Jersey hoard: Archaeologists unpick 70,000 coins

Sorry guys, this is a word that grates on my tender Limey sensibilities. What word are you going to use when something truly 'awesome' is found?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry dude, but your post is not AWESOME!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sorry guys, this is a word that grates on my tender Limey sensibilities. What word are you going to use when something truly 'awesome' is found?

Super awesome.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry but AWESOME is in the eye of the beholder.
Have an Awesome day now.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome would be anything spectacular in my eyes, not everyone has access to ancient gold or roman relics. to each his own perspective of what is what

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May I be permitted to say that I think that 'awesome' is a word over-used on here and has a lot of its original meaning. I've just read a post where a couple of people have described buttons as 'awesome'. They are NOT 'awesome'. My mates unearthing of 85 gold Celtic staters might qualify as 'awesome', but then I am not so sure. The Grand Canyon is truly 'awesome' (for example). This is 'awesome' BBC News - Jersey hoard: Archaeologists unpick 70,000 coins

How about "off the chain"?

Wayne

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UNBELIEVEABLE stands far and above awesome!Of course all"yanks" know the kings english is a mess anyway. Case in point,first "limey" I was stationed with ask me if I wanted to "go get pissed",well,my buddy slugged him! 'Thought he wanted to fight!LOL

Wade

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry John Winter, but you may detect for the wrong reason.
I recently found a simple button that I've been searching for, for 5yrs. A local button at that. I now consider it to be one of my best finds; EVER! It's totally AWSOME!!!
Peace

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry but the grammar monitors are off on sabbatical. Check back in a couple of years and awesome may have been banned in favor of "epic ", "keen" or "wizz bang".

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
John Winter: "Awesome" is American vernacular that evolved from the surfer culture in California in that 1970's. As with most fads and trends, they originate in California and migrate eastward, but its just that - vernacular. Since the population of this forum is primarily American, it is understandable that you will probably encounter a lot of it. One thing is for certain over here - we can definitely find a lot of ways to describe something! :laughing7:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome is in the eye of the beholder…….and so we have the option of not reading whatever posts contain words offensive to Limey sensitivities…...

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uber awesome.

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
John Winter said:
May I be permitted to say that I think that 'awesome' is a word over-used on here and has a lot of its original meaning. I've just read a post where a couple of people have described buttons as 'awesome'. They are NOT 'awesome'. My mates unearthing of 85 gold Celtic staters might qualify as 'awesome', but then I am not so sure. The Grand Canyon is truly 'awesome' (for example). This is 'awesome' BBC News - Jersey hoard: Archaeologists unpick 70,000 coins Sorry guys, this is a word that grates on my tender Limey sensibilities. What word are you going to use when something truly 'awesome' is found?
just for you buddy, I said someone's find was awesome today!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
You can't take anyone seriously if all they can think to say are platitudes. Back in the John Denver
years people went around hollering FAAR OOUT! Now it's AWESOME DUDE!

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandfather had a hammer like that, and it was used to knock the lids off milk cans at his dairy farm, and yes, gramp was AWESOME !

thommo59

Mar 6, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets change "BANNER" to "AWSOME"

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

John, what you fail to realize is the word is directed from the point of view of the viewer. It is mainly influenced by what he has seen in life so far. The words use is not only a reflection of the object, but also the viewer.
Hay, jest an American view. Frank...- five star.png
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread