Lets talk about, what makes something valuable !!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, :hello:

Sure silver is fun to find, but its not the most valuable thing in the world. :icon_scratch: The value of a silver dime is under $1.50 for most silver. Why is this ?? ??? I'll tell you. Age does not make something valuable. Its rarity, a 1944 D merc is not rare at all but its old. :dontknow: In fact its one of the most common silver dimes you can get. :BangHead: However a 1916 D merc is very valuable because of how rare it is.:thumbsup: You may not find silver but that copper medallion from 1944 is worth much more than a freaking Merc because of its rarity. Sure a merc is beautiful coin and fun to find but not something that has a real monetary value. My point here is simple, "just because what you find is made out of copper does not mean its not valuable." Its likely more valuable than a common silver so be happy with these finds. :headbang: I hope this helps !! :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soft sledge, used for wood working !! :thumbsup: We all know family heirlooms are priceless yes... :headbang:

Very cool !! 8-)

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
That depends. I live in rural Mexico. There are indeed many properties where there is no water. What they do is pay a tanker to bring in water, every so often. It becomes just a basic expense of living.

At present, yes, in the US a property without water probably won't sell at any price. But if it becomes normal as it is here, people will adapt.

Have you followed what is happening in parts of California? :D Kids going to school in dirty clothes because parents have no water to wash clothes?

In my house we do get city water. Our water tax runs around $30 a year. We get aroound 50 gallons of water a day. Once we adapted, that is plenty for two people. As much water as possible gets recycled. Rinse water from the washing machine gets used to flush the stool, so we don't use fresh water for that. Also that can be used to wash the car or scrub the floor.

I visit places here where all the roof water is channeled into tanks, and it adds up over the year. We do sometimes put barrels under the roof drains but we don't have enough storage for all of it.

Have you read the book series DUNE?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
What makes things valuable you ask?
The answer is old but simple, " beauty is in the eye of the beholder" or we could say buyer. The value also lies there in. Frank...- five star.png
AAgreek vase.jpg priceless

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, rarity determines the value...the less examples of an item, the more its worth.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I find it and I like it a lot and it excites me and is a keeper for me...."It's Valuable" to me....no matter what anyone else thinks :laughing7::occasion14::thumbsup::headbang:

Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lady Pirate wins again.
My first "dug" clad dime is now framed and priceless to me. Took me darn near 10mins to locate it. Didn't even know what a pinpointer was back then.
Monetary value is great, but the finds that actually have meaning have become my best.
Peace

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
If I find it and I like it a lot and it excites me and is a keeper for me...."It's Valuable" to me....no matter what anyone else thinks :laughing7::occasion14::thumbsup::headbang:

Yep, like I said, the value lies there in. Everyone has there special likes.
Even the knuckleheads!
A A harley chopper.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If value is in what someone is willing to pay... :icon_scratch:One person can think something is worth $25 but five other people would say its worth $50.. So that does not work. (Again we all know certain things we admire or heirlooms are priceless.) :dontknow: I'm just saying this so people have a better idea what and why antiques, collectible, coins and the things we find have value. I'm not talking about the teddy bear your mom gave you as kids and I'm not talking about the price of rice in china. Supply and demand is based on rarity. Something with large supply is worthless. Like Ferbies or Pokemon cards. They made millions if not billions of them and only the rare ones are worth anything. I just wanted people to understand what they think they may find has no value is in fact IS valuable.. Lol, great replies thanks for commenting. :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH ! :hello2:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My top three... if ya care...
#1. Production amount - How many were produced.
#2. Availability - how many are available for purchase/sale.
#3 Condition - what condition is the item in and compared to known examples how does the item compare/rate.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for me .knowing how bad a deserving person whats something,and being able to give it to them would make something more valuable to me

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Riding, let alone owning the bike from easy rider...priceless!..hell I'd be proud just to have that painting on my wall.

Mike

Actually, that bike served as the model for the two that were built for the movie. The movie bikes were actually cheap copies. I think they were panheads and the painting ( stripes) were just straight lines. One bike was destroyed in the final cut. Fonda kept the other. The one in my painting was a true show chopper with a knucklehead. I painted a lot of Harleys for the local Harley dealer. Frank...- five star.png

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Value is based on need or want, real or perceived.

You're in a desert. You're out of water. You haven't drank anything in 36 hours. I appear with a hundred dollar bill and a bottle of water. I will give you one of these two things, but not both. Which will you pick?

That's value in a nutshell. Everything is worth exactly the worth that we assign to it. That value can and will change based on conditions. In the above example, if you were on your front porch enjoying a cold glass of iced water and I made that offer, you'd take the hundred dollar bill. If you were a somewhat evil person back in the desert, you might kill or incapacitate me and just take both of them. Everything is relative when value is concerned.

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'll take the 100 bill and buy a few cap fulls of water from you for a few bucks... :icon_scratch: Cause if I drink the water to fast I'll die... :dontknow: :laughing7:

Thanks everyone for the replies !! :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread