DutchDiggers!®

Aug 29, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hi tec fans,

i got a question for yall..

i have a Garrett ADS III master Hunter VLF/TR and i bought it back in 1982!
awesome machine and still my main teccie!

now i know it came back then with the 5.5 Khz deepseeker coils..but 2 of m broke, so i have just the 12 incher left!
recently i bought a groundhog (small disc) deepseeker coil but it has no sticker on it with the amount of Khz!
i heard the groundhogs were 15.5 Khz machines n everybody says on the internet that those coils of 15.5 Khz dont work on a 5.5 Khz machine!

now..i got the disc on my ADS III..n it works perfect!!! haha
got it groundbalanced to the max n it runs a coin at 6 to 7" deep! :headbang:

is this groundhog maybe NOT a 15.5 Khz coil or is my ADS III NOT a 5.5 Khz machine?

and most of all...can my ADS III break by using a different Khz coil on it...even if it works?

pls help me out here guys...can NOT lose my GRAMPS!

tnx,

GK,
DutchDiggers!®

Last edited:
OP
OP
DutchDiggers!®

DutchDiggers!®

Aug 29, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cheers bro! :)
but im kinda new here...how do i contact this fella? lol

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I had both, the Groundhog I bought for my wife. All THREE have been gone for years now :)

Now as for the detectors, they were great! And they'd still be attractive today, I'd love them in a minute :)

My brain is groggy along with my eyes this morning, but I dug this info up "elsewhere", but you can Google "garrett ads deepseeker schematic" and come up with the same info.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Garrett Master Hunter ADS VLF-TR Groundhog and I think the only real difference between it and the Deepseeker version was the Groundhog runs at 15 kHz and the Deepseeker I believe was at 5.5 kHz, and I think both used the Co-Planar coil design. The Groundhog and Deepseeker coils though are not compatible used between these machines.

I'm not sure why Garrett made both machines so similar but I suspect to give the Coin and Nugget Hunters a choice. The 5.5 kHz leaning more towards those hunting coins and the 15 kHz for those looking more in the direction of prospecting for Gold nuggets. The operating instructions as I recall for both are pretty much the same. I'm unsure of what size coils were available for the Deepseeker but I have for my Groundhog three coils from the smallest, 4.5", to a large 10.5" and that rascal can get a bit on the heavy side after a couple hours of swinging it.

You need to get yourself a nice pair of volume controlled mono/stereo headphones (may one day have a them for them to be compatible with a newer detector) that will help you save on battery life and to hear and help interpret sounds a world of difference better. Other than these machines being to some, very stone age, in the right hands and with a willingness to learn Ground Balancing and what the Sounds of your machine are telling you, these Old Timers can still be wonderful machines as metal is still metal and iron and minerals in sands, soils, and rocks, are still iron and minerals today as yesterday.

------------------------------------------------------------------

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Roger!! early bird gets the worm..Good Morning.
Mike

Good morning Mike! After years of 0400 hrs rising, it is engrained in me..... I found him a coil on eBay :)

Hope that helps him! He can always send that beast to me :)

But then, I'm here to help = Do no harm as you walk through life...

Roger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread