deep treasure cache.... what could this grayish-white subtance be?

OP
OP
C

cache-cow

Greenie
Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thoughts and advice
The pit is stable, I have a sump pump at lowest point in hole, the river is low thank GOD and we have a 20x30 tarp (gable form) over the hole
Also have a high velocity fan pointing down into the hole. I get some seepage but we kick the pump on and clear it out.I'm 52 years old and been in
construction since 16. Been in a lot of holes for other reasons, but its still a hole.Taking it slow, can't put as much time into project as i would like
cause i still have to make a living. So, one evening at a time, one shovel at a time, one day at a time!!!!
p.s. the walls are stable, and slanting outward as you go up. I will post pics as soon as I learn how to.

Covet all yalls thoughts and prayers,
CACHE-COW

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey if you can think of it, how about a couple pics of your operation, CC? Sounds like a fabulous adventure you are on! I'm kind of excited about finding out what you are getting into!

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably don't want to here this, but the two-box is not the right tool. My suggestion is to throw it in the nearest garbage can and buy a pulse induction machine with a large coil. I know that hurts. And like others have said, hope you know how to dig a hole properly. A good rule if you don't want to get buried alive is to slope the sides at a 45 degree angle. Sure, some soil is better to work with, but if you don't know then use extra caution. Anything four foot deep or over needs extreme care for cave-ins and air quality. That means someone should be hole watch and have the person tied to a rope so you can pull them out without getting in the hole. I know a guy was working in a three or four foot ditch when one wall caved in. He was crippled for life.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Probably don't want to here this, but the two-box is not the right tool. My suggestion is to throw it in the nearest garbage can and buy a pulse induction machine with a large coil. I know that hurts. And like others have said, hope you know how to dig a hole properly. A good rule if you don't want to get buried alive is to slope the sides at a 45 degree angle. Sure, some soil is better to work with, but if you don't know then use extra caution. Anything four foot deep or over needs extreme care for cave-ins and air quality. That means someone should be hole watch and have the person tied to a rope so you can pull them out without getting in the hole. I know a guy was working in a three or four foot ditch when one wall caved in. He was crippled for life.

signal_line,
What ticked you off on 2 Boxes?
Just about every type of detector has it's place, if you know how to use it.
A 2 Box will go over 6' with no problem and while doing that will ignore the junk that will drive a PI crazy. A 2 Box will scan sideways over 6'. You can scan a wall while walking beside it.
It's all in usage of the proper detector for the job.
As you can see My detectors all have different jobs, but they have all more than paid for themselves and continue to give.
Frank...- five star.png 111-1 profile.jpg

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider my self anexpert with 2 box machines, actually writing a book about it, and wish to come and do some testing there, u might dont want me there because u can to keep the location secret i will understand that, im not looking to have any part on your finds, if u are interested just get a hold of me, or burnt news papers or any flamables inside the hole like every 2 feet, this will neutralize most chemicals there, make sure to let the area vent for a few after burning the area and keep digging and doing the same every 2 feet

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Good thoughts and advice
The pit is stable, I have a sump pump at lowest point in hole, the river is low thank GOD and we have a 20x30 tarp (gable form) over the hole
Also have a high velocity fan pointing down into the hole. I get some seepage but we kick the pump on and clear it out.I'm 52 years old and been in
construction since 16. Been in a lot of holes for other reasons, but its still a hole.CACHE-COW

You have some famous last words there.

Shore those sides! And them fans need to move some air too. Today's OSHA designates a trench or hole as a confined space at four feet deep. Do you have a hole watch for when you're down in that hole? Even a safety lanyard tied to a wench won't pull your butt out of a 13' hole when the walls collapse.

There's something dangerously and dreadfully wrong with this picture here. Maybe the crew who digs your corpses out of that hole will find that cache.....

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, every time someone is on to something great, they only dig one shovel full a day :icon_scratch: ...I hope we get some pics.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shhh, man! He's diggin'! :laughing7:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just came across this. grey material is usually human remains. As a young man I was horrified when talking with a grave digger at a funeral.

OP
OP
C

cache-cow

Greenie
Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok guys, its cache-cow,
Everythings fine, im still alive. Pulled out of the pit to shore up the sides. 2.5 to 3 feet left to uncover larger area of white substance.
One other thing puzzles me though, After i break through part of the "stuff" with my probe (4 footer) the soil is loose, very soft. So
what i am about to do is make a 10 foot probe out of a copper grounding rod i had for my house. I'm remodeling it myself, gonna
move in it one day if i live. Man i got a patient wife!!!!! anyway, my thought is.... whatever was at that depth (15 ft) has sunk deeper, hoping to
hit it with 10 foot probe. If my next post is in ALL CAPS its because my rod went CLUNK!!!!!! cache-cow

OP
OP
C

cache-cow

Greenie
Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey Casca,
can you describe the material you are talking about? Was it in the shape of a human? or did it look more like calcified rock? or sediment?
By the way, my tn friends, I checked the substance for conductivity. none

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

olstinker

Apr 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a resident of south La. there is only 1 term to describe a 13' hole. Its called a lake. Anything below 3 or 4 feet is gonna start filling with water.

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
See my PM to you.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH