deep treasure cache.... what could this grayish-white subtance be?

cache-cow

Greenie
Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoping some of my treasurenet friends can help me out there. I followed up on a lead (me and a friend and partner) on a buried cache.
At least 40 years. Got a hit on my garrett gti 2500 and began to dig. I came across 12 buried metal fence posts laying side by side, alternating cement ends
at about 18 inches. We removed them and rechecked with my instrument, got STRONG signal. continued to dig, by now the hole is 5x5x approx. 3ft deep.
The soil changed at 2ft from dark black jack to light clay. Continued to get good signals with my garrett 2500 AND starting to see mixed soil (Dark and light)
By now we are getting excited AND tired! So we spring for a mini excavator. I must tell you now I'm not in the habit of throwing away money so this move is not without
good cause. The Place we are digging is IN AN OLD GARDEN AREA!!!! kid yall not. WE get down to about 9 ft STILL getting signals and mixed soil! Max depth of mini
excavator so we break out the shovels...... AGAIN!!! Get down to 13.5 ft and come across a grayish-white substance. MY partner has a 2 box fisher gemini system
very reliable, checked the hole, HIS MACHINE PEGGED!!!! I put my treasure hound 2 box on my garrett and boy it was singing!! at 13 ft! We thought it would be
the smart thing to stop and find out what we are about to dig through. We think it might be cyanide or some poison. We feel somethings right below it there is soft soil
and mixed soil down where we are. I'm scared, nervous, and excited all at the same time!!!! ANY INFORMATION on old tresures and booby traps or poison
will be greatly appreciated. Just Know we are going to see it to the end what ever that might be (at about 20 ft) pray for us, this is real!!!!

mickael

Jul 14, 2014
France
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - Tesoro µMax - lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wish you luck!!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where are you?

You originally hit/found these metal fence posts at 18" .... rechecked... got another hit with same machine....dug to 13 ft. and still getting strong hit? How deep can that 2500 originally go from the surface?

Take soil sample in to be tested.

OP
OP
C

cache-cow

Greenie
Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in south louisiana
with my two box system connected, about 10 to 15 feet. But remember, my partner has a fisher gemini system that hit as well.
I think his ole 2 box might be better than my new 2 box!:)
ok, soil... We have a lot of clay in the soil in my area (not very mineralized)
As you travel north in our state, the gets highly mineralized kinda red and sandy dirt.
Also the white substance is not the soil but is IN the soil, in clumps and patches. how do i know? Im a plumber and I used
my probing rod and I can hit the substance, move over 6 inches, miss it, move again and hit it ALL OVER THE 5 x 5 x deep hole! Also Im using rubber gloves while handling the stuff. thanks for your reply.
Any more info would be very appreciated.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Could as mentioned be needing a test. You are quite deep or I would be guessing lime or hardwood ashes and you are digging a privy. Beyond a few feet..... it would need a comparison to other soil layers in area. Anything buried beyond shoulder deep would be safe from me without awful solid proof of a reason. A detector in a hole can read to the sides too.

OP
OP
C

cache-cow

Greenie
Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
funny! will definitely keep you posted, friend

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you're digging inside a buried metal cistern or metal tank? Hope you find something besides a "hit" on your detectors after digging ridiculous depths and renting or buying earth moving equipment.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thirteen feet? If somebody had a fifty pound cask of gold coin and wanted to bury it in a hurry, it would be shallow. If somebody wanted to bury it and they had all the time in the world, then 99.9999% of the time, it would STILL be shallow, rarely deeper than the arm's length. A lot of good deep treasure was thrown into crevasses or natural holes such as springs or man made stuff like wells even crap filled privies. Or whatever. Try a test hunt all around the hole in a hundred foot radius just to rule out mineralization "hot spots" that might be fooling the machines. If everything around seems cold then you probably are on to some serious metal. Keep going it sounds like a very interesting project. Good luck and dont forget the pics.

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what concerns me , is the depth you guys are digging. any depth over 6' should be shured. a cave in can happen in a split second. with no warning. i was caught in one at four feet. i was on my hands and knees working on a gas main and i can tell you even four feet of overburden you can no breath with the weight of the soil. if you are going to continue digging slope all the edges of the hole out. and keep all the dirt you remove away from the edges at least four feet from the edge. there are pages on the web on proper trenching procedures. at 13' i hate to say it you will not make it out...

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what concerns me , is the depth you guys are digging. any depth over 6' should be shured. a cave in can happen in a split second. with no warning. i was caught in one at four feet. i was on my hands and knees working on a gas main and i can tell you even four feet of overburden you can no breath with the weight of the soil. if you are going to continue digging slope all the edges of the hole out. and keep all the dirt you remove away from the edges at least four feet from the edge. there are pages on the web on proper trenching procedures. at 13' i hate to say it you will not make it out...
I agree. I'm in safety management and you hear about it all the time. I have heard about guys dying in cave-ins that just buried them up to below their chest; everytime you try to breathe the dirt puts more pressure on you and you can't move. Having a buddy there won't help either besides to watch you die. Sorry to be morbid, but I would hate to hear about anyone dying doing the hobby we all love. I wasn't listening to my own advice and had a clump of dirt about the size of a stove fall down a foot onto me while digging a privy and bruised my side. Anyways good luck and keep us posted you could have something very interesting!!

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I think I would get a 3-4' probe and test the bottom of the hole. It must be something very special if it was hurried that deep.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree. I'm in safety management and you hear about it all the time. I have heard about guys dying in cave-ins that just buried them up to below their chest; everytime you try to breathe the dirt puts more pressure on you and you can't move. Having a buddy there won't help either besides to watch you die. Sorry to be morbid, but I would hate to hear about anyone dying doing the hobby we all love. I wasn't listening to my own advice and had a clump of dirt about the size of a stove fall down a foot onto me while digging a privy and bruised my side. Anyways good luck and keep us posted you could have something very interesting!!

You have to be morbid otherwise people wont listen to you.Sometimes they still dont listen,and they end up paying dearly for it.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OK here's my thoughts. First off, if you are in Louisiana at 13 feet down, why aren't you standing in water?
This sounds like Oak Island II.
Now for the grayish-white substance:
1- It's way to deep for a privy.
2- Platinum, raw
3- ordinary clay with some iron oxide
4- Decayed uranium, those rubber gloves won't save you, your dead!
I think you passed the iron bars that said keep out.

There is no way a 2500 with the 2 coil mod will go 13'. You are reading from the side at the top
possibly some more posts within the max 3' pickup of that detector. Probe the area around the top of the hole.

Just my experienced thoughts, Frank...- five star.png
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"There is no way a 2500 with the 2 coil mod will go 13'. You are reading from the side at the top possibly some more posts within the max 3' pickup of that detector. Probe the area around the top of the hole."

My thoughts exactly Frank.... :occasion14: There picking something up possibly from the sides.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a hatch down there!

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I would get a 3-4' probe and test the bottom of the hole. It must be something very special if it was hurried that deep.

I agree, make a probe out of 1/4" ~3/8" round bar.
Make sure the object is below your 2box and not horizonal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread