Rock22

Sep 9, 2013
Erie Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I am still really new to this detecting stuff so I could use some help. I live on land that was once farmland but is now woods. The land was bought in 1835 and the house built on it in 1840. My home is in about 150 yards behind the old farm house along a bluff that I have found a great bottle dump site. I have been detecting it for about 5 years now but no good finds. I have old maps from the 1930s that give me an idea where the cattle trails led from the barn to my spot but have found only 3 coins in all that searching and they were all from the mid 1940s. Is it possible that the earliest people that lived here just didn't have much so nothing hit the ground or am I doing something wrong? I am just disappointed and ready to give this hobby up. The people that 1st lived here in 1840 were traveling this stretch of land enough to dump that garbage so I will assume that some coins would have fallen out along the way. The bottles range in age from 1850-1920 so where are the coins? Im not in this to get rich,I just enjoy history and cant find coins. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it was me, I would be searching were I thought the yard to the old house would be or even your own yard. I would also look for the barn or any other out buildings. Thinking of places were people in quantity worked and gathered. For example maybe every year they had a family gathering right beside the old house with picnic tables and such back in the 1800's. Also people didnt have money back in the day like we do today and it was covetted more. Location is everything, you have to hunt for the spots that many people were. Even in the woods could be clues to what once was. Sounds like you have to just find the sweet spot. You didnt mention how much acreage this area is or detector being used, both factor into you question. Sometimes those nice old coins are 10" DEEP nice old coins.

OP
OP
R

Rock22

Sep 9, 2013
Erie Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a little over 8 acres and my neighbor that lives in the old farmhouse has about the same. The family once owned close to 100 acres back in the 1880s but that was mostly land where cattle roamed. My detector is a Whites classic IDX.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottle dump alone sounds great.
Try to locate the privy, out house.
The coins are there. You just gotta get your coil over 'em.
Attempt a grid search too.
Good luck
Peace

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try with NO discrimination... or in pinpoint mode. Dig it all...maybe you are nulling out... are you finding anything at all? if not prolly bad coil... or check all connections and batteries.

Last edited:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Search the bases of old trees and around any spots that look like landmarks for the property.

Hendo0601

Jul 30, 2014
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What always trips me up is woods...I see them and I'm like "there ain't nothin in there it's woods! Who loses crap in the woods?" Then I have to tell myself that 100 years ago that probably wasn't woods....it was probably open and has since been reclaimed by the woods after decades of neglect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions