Getting started

Sep 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello guys!
this is my first thread so bear with me, basically i really want to get out there and start detecting and finding some treasure!
but im not sure what the best way to go about it is and im talking the basics, e.g starter kits, first detector, good places to start.

any help would be much appreciated! and i look forward to getting started into a great hobby

thanks!

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings UnchartedChief, welcome.

My first suggestion would be to visit sites for beginners. Learn about the types of detectors, coils, and basic technology of the hobby. From there, you can make an informed decision on the metal detector that will best fit your preferences, as to, types of targets to be sought, land based, water based, or combination of locations you will be detecting. It's not rocket science, but, knowledge is very important in making informed choices in equipment. Look at sites, selling different brands of detectors. Learn about what they can and can't do compared to others. Don't rely on the choices of others! Good Luck!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Before you start any hobby, you have to deside what your goal is in that hobby.
Detecting varies widely. Most start off as basic park hunters and get great satisfaction in listing their finds such as coins. Others go into Relic hunting most of these seem to like Civil War finds the most. Some use their detectors to prospect for gold nuggets,etc, still other love to research ghost towns and hunt them, then there is the group that researches caches hidden in the past and left unclaimed. This is my endeavor. Ops, almost left off the beach hunters. Yes a lot are combined.

Now the detectors and tools vary. There are many types of detectors. Some have display screens some just 'sound off'. Some are specialized while others generalized. some will go down many feet. Most of these will not locate a small item. Some are waterproof.

I can't list a detector or tools until you decide what your goal is.
Frank...- five star.png
111-1 profile.jpg

Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome UnchartedChief!
I can only and to what the great locater, and the esteemed Frankn have said...
BUY A PINPOINTER!
Watch as many ytube vids as you can before purchasing a detector. Also, try to test every detector you can.
Many here will help guide you.
Very good luck!
Peace

OP
OP
U
Sep 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys this is very interesting stuff! and as for my goals i would probably steer towards relic hunting and maybe with experience also dabble in beach hunting, so i would like to know what would be good for he relic side of hunting.
thanks for the replies and look forward to more!

Sandigger2

Mar 25, 2012
Ventura County,So Cal
Detector(s) used
DFX, PIDF,CZ 21,F5,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome to the forum Uncharted chief. At the bottom of the forum listings there is an area to look up detecting by State.
If there is a club near you, go to a meeting and tell them your new and most clubs will be very helpful. It's a great place to meet others near you
and often try different detectors and maybe even borrow one or buy a used detector and get hands on training. Some clubs have beginners classes.
Good luck and move slowly on buying until you feel comfortable with what direction you're going. It will save you money for sure. HH

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You are in luck! Relic hunting and beach hunting can both best be done with a PI (pulse induction) type of detector. Since you are just starting, I would suggest you get a used (good brand) simple to operate unit. ie Turn on and go. Like my 14 year old Whites Surfmaster PI which I am still using.
You don't need fancy controls or a readout screen since in both types of hunting, every target is dug or scooped. You need a good shovel for relics and a good long handled scoop for the beach.
Check out A M Leonard for the shovel. For the scoop, I got a S.S. hand scoop from Kellyco and added a long handle. Frank...- five star.png

Tool shovel-700.jpg
All steel 14 years old!

Tool scoop-700.jpg
SS basket, conduit handle, rubber covered.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread