MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure you all have seen this already, but isn't ironic that the boys mother is a archeologist who studies paleo indians. Further more, being a waterman myself who frequents this area very often myself fishing from the surf, clams shells don't hit your leg like the boy described, let alone stone arrowheads. I call BS on this, everything sounds too convenient.
Boy finds 10,000-year-old arrowhead on beach

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah....looks like a fluted Clovis.

The article keeps referring to it as an "Arrow", awesome reporting job.

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I misread that, however I still call BS

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of it do you think is BS?:

1. Not really what they say it is?

2. Didn't really find it in NJ?

3. Didn't really find it himself?

4. All of the above

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe 2 definitely 3, also in the article it states that the mothers father collected arrowheads.

Last edited:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
That part makes it interesting to me mucky! maybe grandpa wanted to get his grandson interested in the hobby of hunting artifacts ? maybe he took his grandson hunting them, and they aint exactly easy to find. maybe the boy got discouraged ? possible I'd say, maybe had his daughter drop one right there to where grandson would see it, then sensationalize it by reporting the *find* I could see that happening, because it wasn't until I was a grown man that pops said he buried mercs, Morgans and other coins all over the yard for me to *find*..it worked still detecting all these decades later!

Mike

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad used to do that with round balls and wheaties growing up in our yard, since I come from a ball busting family, he would do it for the reaction. .lol

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calling a 10 year olds find BS....Oh dear what ever next....AWESOME.

SS

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame. On top of that whatever happened to NJ' s antiquities laws that I and every detectorist has to follow?

Last edited:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
That part makes it interesting to me mucky! maybe grandpa wanted to get his grandson interested in the hobby of hunting artifacts ? maybe he took his grandson hunting them, and they aint exactly easy to find. maybe the boy got discouraged ? possible I'd say, maybe had his daughter drop one right there to where grandson would see it, then sensationalize it by reporting the *find* I could see that happening, because it wasn't until I was a grown man that pops said he buried mercs, Morgans and other coins all over the yard for me to *find*..it worked still detecting all these decades later!

Mike

Guilty as charged...with coins and arrowheads...proud owner of a 9 and 12 year old. I intend to come clean the day after the stop believing in Santa Claus.....

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For reference to what I am talking about:
NPS Archeology Program: NADB—Permits

Since LBI is considered to be a state park, it would fall under ARPA. That is why this story is absolute BS. Unless, the kids mom is playing Monica Lewinski with Chris "Crispy Creme" Christi.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What, just if, it's not planted!?
And parents actually planting coins to basically force their children to enjoy MDing? Seems like the overly zealous "sport parents" who's kids have no interest in athletics.
Peace

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And parents actually planting coins to basically force their children to enjoy MDing? Seems like the overly zealous "sport parents" who's kids have no interest in athletics.
Peace

Even if it is planted, they still have to follow NJ's ARPA Law, hell, I had a court battle 20 years ago when I found four 4lber's on my own property, and the opposing lawyer stated those items belonged to the state (I Won). They get all hellbent over cannonballs from 300 yrs ago on private property, but some kid finds an arrowhead thats over 10k years old on state park land, no questions asked just a pat on the head saying nice find kid...WTF!
So now for spite, in open daylight I should hunt directly near the soldiers barracks in jockey hollow. The kid set the precedent.

Jockey Hollow/Fort Nonsense or Bust!
FTNonsense.jpg JH.jpg

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Peace

Well, when I potty trained my dog, I had to pretend like I wanted to go outside...

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Number 1. I'm guilty of planting points for my grand kids to find. Number 2, I found a point in the surf one time, I don't know how long it had been there, but it was worn smooth. Looked like some rock hound with a rock polisher had cut and smoothed it out, hardly any evidence of ever having been flaked. Can't show a picture now, because I gave it to Mom and I think my brother might have got it, anyhow it's gone. Trust me, being in the surf any time at all it isn't coming out cherry looking. Number 3, how often do your feet and legs get bumped by something when you are wading in the surf. Never is my best recollection. Funny story, and true. I planted some points along the creek for my grand kids to find. Rained that night, water came up and most of my points were gone. However all was not lost, they found several points that had washed in with the high water.

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Number 1. I'm guilty of planting points for my grand kids to find. Number 2, I found a point in the surf one time, I don't know how long it had been there, but it was worn smooth. Looked like some rock hound with a rock polisher had cut and smoothed it out, hardly any evidence of ever having been flaked. Can't show a picture now, because I gave it to Mom and I think my brother might have got it, anyhow it's gone. Trust me, being in the surf any time at all it isn't coming out cherry looking. Number 3, how often do your feet and legs get bumped by something when you are wading in the surf. Never is my best recollection. Funny story, and true. I planted some points along the creek for my grand kids to find. Rained that night, water came up and most of my points were gone. However all was not lost, they found several points that had washed in with the high water.

I fully agree the only thing that bumps me in the surf are spiny dogfish, bunker and big fat old stripers. I have stepped on things such as old ordinance such as ww2 munitions and scary as it sounds an old grenade. Lol

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
You had me convinced it was bogus. Not 100% convinced, but probably 90% convinced.

Then, I read the linked article. The admin said they had another one washed up around 20 years ago.

Now I am 90% convinced it is real.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions