Sunray pinpointers

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have a question for those with Sunrays mounted to their detectors.

Do you use it in motion or pinpoint/no-motion settings from the control box. I have been considering adding one, and I guess it never occurred to me that I might constantly be having to switch both to the pinpoint "coil" and also toggle the unit over to non-motion. I never do that now as I "X" to pinpoint with the coil in regular motion mode and switch to my Merlin handheld once the spot is narrowed down and I lay the detector aside.

Do the Sunrays work in a "motion" mode if you just wobble them over/in the hole?

rayray3

Jan 17, 2006
Northern WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab EX2, Ace 250, Garrett pinpointer
I have one for my Minelab EX2 and I have only used it on about 5 outings and I i would get one tomorrow if it broke. It finds the little things in the dirt. I'm doing Civil War relic hunting and Ive gotten the tiny balls that they use with the regular musketballs and I would not be able to find those without the sunray probe.
What Ive read and found out is that you get more depth by waving it around than just moving it around. Someone used the term "Scribble" is the best way to move it. I never use it in the pinpoint just in detect. Works great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread