Dont Throw Away those Old Tin Cans!

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't Throw Away those Old Tin Cans!

ORIGINALLY POSTED IN THE UK

When I was a kid growing up in the 1940’s new toys were few and far between, but we were quite resourceful and spent many happy hours with old, throw-away tin cans. For example, we made holes in the bottom, fitted with string and used them as stilts. What a racket we made clanging up and down the street! Now, we’d probably be issued with an Anti-Social Behaviour Order (ASBO) for disturbing the peace!

I can’t remember all the games we played, but several involved the humble tin can. They played a big part in weddings too. When was the last time you saw the happily married couple’s car clumping and clattering down the road with half a dozen cans tied to the bumper?

In an age when children must have the latest toy, I sigh and remember how things used to be and how innocent we were. We are told never to look back, but when you do, you often realise that those were the Good Old Days! But what’s this got to do with metal detecting?

Fast forward 60 years or so and that little boy has become a metal detectorist...and not a very successful one at that, because he has renewed his acquaintance by collecting more than his share of tin cans. Except now, he doesn’t regard them in quite the same way. If you are anything like me, you utter an oath and sling them unceremoniously into the nearest hedge. Good riddance!

Imagine my surprise then when I came across an archaeological paper from the States that made strange reading (for me, anyway). Sharon Waechter had made a special study of the ubiquitous old tin can and had extracted information from their construction on both the age of the archaeological (sic) deposit and the activities that went on there. Check out her story here: CAL FIRE Archaeology Program: Cans

From the type of lid, seam type and measurements she has gained insight into social history of the time. Large piles of coffee, evaporated milk, cooking oil and tobacco cans probably represented the kitchen area of a major work camp. Fragments of tea and opium tins found at sites were occupied by Chinese. The wide variety of fruit, vegetable, canned meat, baking powder and coffee tins might be a household dump. And so on; you get the drift. No matter what the context though, remember that large scale canning didn’t begin until the late 1820’s.

Don’t get me wrong - this is a learned piece of work that goes into great detail of how the seam is soldered and size can provide clues to the age of the can...and much more. We’re spoilt in the UK, don’t you think! You may not be a winner of the detectorist lottery jackpot, but you can make an extra effort to the archaeological cause. Collect all your old tin cans and take them to your local Finds Liaison Officer (FLO) saying just how important they are. No emails of complaint please, I’m only joking!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool lesson in canology!. Interesting subject matter. I see old cans scattered all over the mountains in the mine camps. One time with a metal detector I came by a pile of cans in a wash. They were all buried under the fine sandy gravel. It was an untouched trash heap full of old cans and lots of complete unbroken bottles from maybe the 1870's to 1890's as that is the date this mining camp operated. Never thought the old cans could be a clue in dating things other then they were old cans. Good reference:thumbsup:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a teen in the 70's, "tin cans" were on their out. We cherished them though, as they were much stronger than the new aluminum cans.
We would use 7 tin cans, 6 of which had tops and bottoms removed w a can opener. The 7th, only the top was removed. All cans were then duct taped together forming a tube. A small hole was punched into side of bottom can, in which we squirted lighter fluid. We then pushed a tennis ball down tube, just above hole where lighter fluid was squirted. This ensured compression. ;) Then put a flame near the small hole... and BOOM! The tennis ball would be shot upwards outta sight!!!
Please NEVER try this as this is very dangerous. But as teenagers, we thought we were invincible.
My thoughts and reflections on tin cans.
Peace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread