Just Found, A Cannonball?

Big Bad Brian

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While combing through antique stores in Northern Arizona this weekend I came across an iron ball. The clerk insisted it was a cannonball. Price was good so I thought I'd risk it and buy the thing. It has an interesting casting mark that looks a lot like a fish.
Anyone have thoughts about what I bought? It weighs about 6 pounds and measures 3 1/16" diameter. See the enclosed photos.
Thanks
Big Bad Brian

Attachments

• CIMG2262.JPG
    CIMG2262.JPG
    477.1 KB · Views: 117
  • CIMG2265.JPG
    CIMG2265.JPG
    372.5 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't think so, 6 pounder should be 3.58 dia.
Yours is 1/2" smaller.
It does almost match the 4 pounder though..
3.12" dia
Does it weigh 4 lbs or 6?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The casting mark looks raised,you cant have that on a cannon ball.The close tolerances needed and used would cause it to jam in the cannon barrel.Bad news for the gunners.....BOOM.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome aboard TNet. To me, the casting mark isn't right, I don't think it's a cannon ball. Perhaps CannonBallGuy will see this and answer you. He is the #1 expert on
cannon balls among other things. My swag is you probably have a shot-put or milling ball. To make sure CannonBallGuy sees this, why don't you re-post this on the "What is it?"
forum, along with the pictures. He'll give you the straight scoop.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think thats a casting mark. I thinks thats the stem from where it was poured and ground off.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont think thats a casting mark. I thinks thats the stem from where it was poured and ground off.

Unless the ball went unfinished it still cant be there.If it was there during loading of the cannon the ball would most likely jam in the barrel putting the gun out of commission.If by some miracle it didnt jam and the gun was fired it would jam coming out and the cannon would blow up

OP
OP
B

Big Bad Brian

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weighed it and checked size

Don't think so, 6 pounder should be 3.58 dia.
Yours is 1/2" smaller.
It does almost match the 4 pounder though..
3.12" dia
Does it weigh 4 lbs or 6?

Using a Letter Scale the best I can tell, it weighs 4.5 lbs. And is 3.11" dia. using the Stauret dial calipers. Found this in Flagstaff, AZ so it's probably an old milling ball.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread