sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????
?
I am having a problem with my mxt pro and I think this question has been asked before.I was hunting yesterday in relic mode got a nice signal non ferrous and when I brought it out the ground it was a piece of iron.This has happened a lot lately.The coil is a detech sef 8x6 coil .I have tried everything and makes no sense to whats going on.I have ask whites by email and never received a response,the mxt pro was traded to me for my mxt 300 that they could not fix.Out of there excellent customer care they sent me the mxt pro.I have had the detector sent back twice for similar problems and the detector was recalibrated and sent back to me.I have tried different coils and had the problem happen with them.I think I have a few months left on the warranty yet but I don't think I will have a new detector sent since they have done this already.Damn near sold it on ebay couple months ago for what ever I could have got very frustrated and now do not know what to do.Any suggestions? vanzutphen

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an MXT and never had that problem, don't know what to tell you. I know White's are good people and will make it right.

Sandigger2

Mar 25, 2012
Ventura County,So Cal
Detector(s) used
DFX, PIDF,CZ 21,F5,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'd ask your question directly on the Whites factory forum. Factory people monitor it and are very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
First off, the ID is an 'educated guess' based on metallic content and size. It is not a God given fact!
Second all steel metal is an alloy, not just iron.
Third put the stock coil back on. It was designed for it. Why would ask Whites about someone eases coil?
Now think about it! Frank...- five star.png
111-1 profileblk.jpg

OP
OP
S

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey frank it does it with the stock coil that it came with and I have 3 other whites coils besides the 8x6 sef.I will say the sef is the best coil I have used even on my mxt 300 and pro.I hunt 2 different sites 4 miles apart and never happened before until I started detecting at this other property.Whites said after I sent it back twice that it was a calibration problem.??????????????????????????????????????/vanzutphen

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi sutphin; Couple of pointers. First is that you say you are hunting in the RELIC mode. The RELIC mode WILL sound off on iron. The majority of RELICS are IRON. Second is that you may be in an area that has a high rate of frequency interference where you are searching. Radio Interference does throw off your detector. Lastly you could check for high ground mineralization ok. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might be experiencing the wrap effect. That's where a rusted iron object will wrap around from the -95 to the +95 and sound of like a high tone target. I sometimes have that happen with my M6.
It usually a real rusted target with a strong halo and moist soil.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Hey frank it does it with the stock coil that it came with and I have 3 other whites coils besides the 8x6 sef.I will say the sef is the best coil I have used even on my mxt 300 and pro.I hunt 2 different sites 4 miles apart and never happened before until I started detecting at this other property.Whites said after I sent it back twice that it was a calibration problem.??????????????????????????????????????/vanzutphen

What precisely is the problem? Is it the fact that it IDed it as non iron and it turned out to be iron? How deep was the iron? Your ID looses accuracy below 6" or so. I usually dig everything anyway unless I have dug that ID# before and it proved to be junk. Frank five star.png

OP
OP
S

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
By golly we have a winner here.Frankn this is exactly what is going on with the pro.ID ,say maybe between 4 and 6 inches.But I have experienced this problem at home ground also and that was less than 4 inches.I have had this problem a lot.That is why they recalibrated the detector twice and said that was the problem.Detector was fine when sent back but damn it finds more iron than coins and even put coins on the ground and it did this off and on.Maybe the ole gray mare aint what she use to be?Or maybe after 7 years with the mxt im still not finished learning it.Man this one location had camps all over it and I know for certain that I have missed a lot because of getting tired of the iron signal.THANKS FRANKN,VANZUTPHEN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread