maybe a little extra monie

MRDUKE

Mar 25, 2007
well where i live there always a lot of steel cable laying around from logging ,any way i read somewhere that thy take old cable cut it to length put it in a forge and then thy hammer it in to Damascus steel and then sale the blanks for say one foot lengths for 20 dollars each , might be a way to make a little extra money for maybe a new M D or a new sluce or such. at least if your out there looking for treasure anyway ok maybe not but it,s a thought anyway.

T

TreasureTales

That's what I like to see, a treasure hunter who is always thinking! I don't know about the Damascus steel, but I do know that some lumber camp relics go for some pretty good money. Are there any axe heads, saw blades, ox shoes, mule shoes, tin plates or cups or knives buried around where the cable is? Or how about an old pair of Levis? The oldest pair of Levis found to date was sold to Levi-Strauss for over $25,000 if I recall correctly. The canvas pants were found in a mine shaft in CA several years ago. Wish I had been the lucky person to find those! Anyhow, how about some old dumps around those lumbercamps? Or some of the coins spilled by the jacks when they were drunk and fighting with each other?

Post pictures if you can, please. Always fun to see the material mentioned. I've seen lots of cable from mining as well as lumbering. Never thought it was worth but maybe a penny a pound for scrap. Live and learn.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wouldn't be at all surprised. My favorite belt knife is one a friend made out of the coulter steel from a broken farm plow. That's the small blade ahead of a plow that rips up the sod and small roots. Rings when I tap it with my finger. Something about old steel seems to give it a different characteristic.

I've seen some beautiful knives made out of old railroad spikes, but I wonder if that isn't too soft a metal.

Seems like it will take $20 of time and effort to saw old cable into one foot lengths. Maybe with a big honken leverage bolt cutter??

I once came across an ancient oil rig in Pennsylvania that had MILES of steel rods running from one large steam pump to the various well heads. Turns out it was part of a historic site in Allegheny Forest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread