need help from military site detectorists

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there,

I've never detected these areas before. Do you dig every signal on these sites? I'd love to find some musketballs (and buttons obviously). Do lead balls ring in the penny/dime range due to the size? Or lower on the scale? I use a Garret 350 so I don't have the value of ATPRO's wonderful numeric scale. :( Any advice on military site detection would be immensely appreciated. HH!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would dig everything Diggitydig. If you're hunting a campsite you'll want to find iron and lead of course,you.you don't want to miss a cannonball do you? I use a Minelab 505 X-terra and yesterday a .69 caliper Civil War bullet rang up a 27 which usually proves to be a Pulltab. I was shocked but it could have been straight up in the hole,who knows? I wish you the best of luck. I've found high tones more than numbers unless they're minus iron target ID numbers are worth digging and finding out what it is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DiggityDiggity

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Coily! You boosted my motivation. Makes sense to dig all iron now. I better pop some IBU and stretch my back out 'cause it'll be taking a beating.

I'm fascinated with military relic hunting, just never was able to do it. In your expeditions, have you ever found soldier art? Like figurines made out of ammunition, or etched drawings on metal objects? etc.. A piece of soldier art is on top of my MD bucketlist. :)

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In upstate NY you should have access to many areas that saw battle. I know some fellow military collectors who solely collect carved lead bullets. I personally haven't found anything like that but often dominoes and poker chip game pieces were carved from lead in the boredom between skirmishes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread