MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious, what makes your reel different? I've only used Elcheapo's so I have nothing to compare.

When thousands of dollars are on the line to win, last thing you want are gear issues when you have a tournament winner on the line, been there done that. .

That being said, Van Staal reals have a water proof gear casing and saltwater isn't gear friendly. Try dunking your Penn, Diawa, etc. In saltwater and sand and if you forget to freshwater rinse your gear, you have a 50/50 chance of your reel being shot..is that a risk you would take with a 50+ lb striped bass on your line?

Last edited:

cammobunker

May 27, 2008
NW Ar-kan-saw
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Mojave, Cibola. Deteknix Pinpointer. Mark I Mod 0 eyeball, too.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, lots of people give up because they have unrealistic expectations. I just do this for fun. It's a hobby. My girlfriend was using a BH pioneer 101 (tracker iv) on the beach in Aruba and that thing was like a vacuum cleaner on coins. Is it a great relic machine? No, and it's not intended to be. It's a low cost entry level detector,and has probably introduced many thousands to the hobby,many of whom stayed with it. Gotta start somewhere!

OP
OP
D

DAA1234

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2014
Arnold, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, start small and go up from there. If you don't like it for any reason you're not out a lot of money.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I KNOW why I am not successful in getting access to good places to hunt. It's not a lack of research, rather an over abundance of pigmentation on my behalf. That is about as PC as I can get.

Is that you, Al Sharpton?

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do believe you have to be an individual that has a burning desire inside you to not give up! We all want to find something of historical or significant value! Patience is very much a quality to have in metal detecting. Getting to know your machine takes a lot of time and trial-and-error. Researching an area is also time consuming. Spending lots of time Researching and area only to find out the owner of the property bans all metal detecting can be a huge slap in the face. The search continues always....time of year, location, climate, family matters etc.....I have not given up nor desire to even after not finding anything for weeks at a time! I'm into finding historical items from the past (coins, rings, civil war relics, etc.). For me, some of my best metal detecting finds are when I find absolutely NOTHING! Just the experience of getting outdoors around nature is rewarding in itself! Count me in on the non-quitter team!

Fay5844

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2014
Fayetteville
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 350 Whites pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi i would love to have i friend to MD with

i'm in Fayetteville i have a garret 350 and pinpoint

my phone number in 910-627-5966 Thank's Text or call me i'll be there

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember starting with an ACE 250 and reading all the semi slams about my "yeller feller". I did get the distinct feeling that there was a hierarchy in detecting and your status was measured by the machine you used. But that never stopped me and I worked that little Garrett until it cried uncle, and I made some really nice finds with it. But I moved on and got stronger detectors, and it does make a difference. You notice it immediately with depth, pin pointing accuracy etc.

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was pretty fortunate to start finding items with my first machine, people starting now i think would get frustrated rather quickly,... in my area anyway. ..ive been thru every park, school, church, etc..etc within a 60 mile radius. A few good home sites will keep a select few interested, but im sure most of them wind up on craigslist.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My only regret in this hobby was that I didn't start sooner. This is my first year and have been having a great time. I started with a Bounty hunter. Found enough clad to move up to a F2 and then a F5. I always liked fishing so detecting is a natural for me. Both require patience and persistence. And like fishing, Learning your equipment, researching the best spots, and sometimes just blind luck will pay off. I have met so many nice people on this forum. I was invited on a hunt the other day with a local detectorist and had a great time. We spent more time relating stories than we did detecting. Not many hobbies where you get to do it in great locations, meet like minded people, and sometimes a little cash in the pocket. And always a great story to tell. I don't know what I am gonna do when the snow flies here in Montana.:sadsmiley:

chriskellyco

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Sep 30, 2014
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Garrett AT Pro/Ace 350, Minelab CTX 3030/E-Trac/Excal II, White's Coinmaster GT, Nokta FORS CoRe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I realize this is an old thread but just wanted to input my two cents...lol I mean, a higher end machine will help but at the same time it's user experience, wisdom and knowledge all combined at the same time. For example, I was at Daytona Beach yesterday (found a pretty nice stainless steel ring, nothing crazy though) and this lady was just having AT it with an old Bounty Hunter she said she'd purchased at a garage sale. She had a 14k gold ring, clad, a gold plated hoop earring etc. Funniest part, she's waiving that thing around like crazy, at an angle, way too fast, just horrible sweeps ya know? Yet, she was killing it!! Don't get frustrated folks, do research! Go to the library or google search which schools and parks are the oldest in your area. Where are the construction areas you can go to? (with permission) I know I was able to get to a street that had been paved with bricks in the 1930's. I saw them digging them up, got permission to detect there and walked away with 2 silver dimes and a bunch of wheaties. Not to mention a broken gold brooch. That was my first month detecting with an entry level machine. Keep on trying, dig when it dings.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, and they are not bad detectors, they have ID id, and go fairly deep, I found a coin spill of a 1904 barber dime, a 1919 Buffalo Nickel, and an almost uncirculated 1915d wheat cent in my first week of detecting, that was with the Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202. Right now I have a Technetic T2 SE, I liked the hobby and even though I didn't find anything after the pocket spill I didn't quit. On around July 23 2013 it all turned around, after I quit hunting playgrounds, and had my first taste of colonial finds, it was a huge colonial button. Since then I have only metal detected at colonial sites, typically the woods where old houses and farm fields used to be. Of course, you can't go to any woods, you have to look at town records, old maps, check old documents of your town in the library. If you do your research right you will know the history of the place you are detecting, for example, did you know the area I found my first button had many cabins in the early 1700's, then in the early 1800's someone had a farm there until the 1950's. Since then I have found around 25 colonial buttons, 5 colonial shoe buckles, a beautiful 1700's whiskey barrel spigot, many more various colonial relic (just look at my signature below my main post),a 1655-1658 Louis XIV French Liard, a 1723 Wood's Hibernia Halfpenny, a dateless king II King George II young head Half Penny (1727-1740), some large cents from 1803-1838, and extremely rare 1861 New Brunswick Half Cent with less than 5,000 known. Anyways, don't think you will find something great right right away if you metal detect, chances are you won't. For me it is great just to be outside, and able to relax, knowing you may find something great. Most likely if you metal detect, at some point you find something great.

One year ago I would only dream of finding half of what I've found this year. I year ago I thought that finding a would be impossible, but this year with patience I have found a few large cents, and this beauty.

In case you are not a coin collector the value of large cents is based on their grade, if you have a worn 1803 large cent it may be worth $30, where as if you have a large cent in the condition of the one pictured it may be worth $800+, of course that is without the corrosion.

1803.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread