Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a terrible way to go!Bears are very rare around here,but I go to West Va sometimes where they are pretty populated.If it is not hunting season and I am not armed, every once and awhile I will give a hoop and a holler while in the woods to make my presence known.Last thing you want to do is sneak up on one,especially if they have young one's.All a cub has to do is let out a little yelp, and Big Mamma is acomin.
I have seen 'em in Amelia, Dinwiddie and Chesterfield. I hear they love going up and down the river lowlands and can have a wide range. I would say careful is better. Good luck out there friend!

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what I carry anytime I am in the woods. Too many hostile critters up here.

Is that a Taurus? This is what I carry whenever I hunting remote locations, it's especially deadly with rattlesnakes. .yea yea karma, I knew her
brown_kobra.jpg

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could you not afford enough steel for a real barrel?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you had a pic of a snub nose 44 mag

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have encountered many many bears up in Northern New Jersey area and they always run when encountered by humans. I have walked up to them in the dark in route to my hunting stand during Bow season. Many a times in the dark and and light within 10 yards! But they run! I carry a bow and arrow a knife, I also carry a flare gun and I've carried my Glock 40 a few times but I'm worried that I may get caught with the gun and receive jail time! (5 years)

View attachment 1057746

The state of NJ has allowed hunting of bears within the past 10 years, this was my second bear!

View attachment 1057757

Last bear I ran up a tree!

Last edited by a moderator:

ecoast

Sep 12, 2013
The Highlands of NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, V3i, DeepTech Vista SMART, ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have encountered many many bears up in Northern New Jersey area and they always run when encountered by humans.

with all due respect-- no; they do not always run, especially when they are conditioned to humans.

other day a women down the street was taking groceries from trunk, came back out for next bag(s)---bears already got in there.

the more they get accustomed to interface/contact, less likely you are going to shoo them away, and that's why they are dangerous

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
and that's why they are dangerous

Who us or the bears ? like us they are just trying to survive, its instinct, we want to go into their domain..either bring a gun, or end up bear turds.
I think anybody that feeds wild animals should be shot, for they are hurting not only the animals by making them lazy for food, hence not shying away from people, and in turn people become food.
I'm not a animal rights guy either, just the irony of these situations bothers me.

BigCountry

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stupidity of people in NJ knows no bounds, this is the lady who harasses hunters. .may one day one of these bears maul her

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stupidity of people in NJ knows no bounds, this is the lady who harasses hunters. .may one day one of these bears maul her

although Animal rights nuts like that irritate me, what she said about black bears is
pretty much true. but I do wonder if she is twice the size of the Bear,
Or had an armed Friend beside her..
she had Pretty Steady Hands & was obviously convinced that bear would not
become irrational. I walked up to one already, that close ... but I wasn't calm inside
when it stood up on it's back feet, till it come back down & Turned & walked in a Circle & sat down.

Last edited:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that a Taurus? This is what I carry whenever I hunting remote locations, it's especially deadly with rattlesnakes. .yea yea karma, I knew her
View attachment 1057699

TAURUS? Are you deliberately trying to provoke me, Mucky? :laughing7: That's a Ruger Alaskan. I won't own a Taurus. I bought two of these a few years ago, and gave one to my son. :thumbsup:

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TAURUS? Are you deliberately trying to provoke me, Mucky? :laughing7: That's a Ruger Alaskan. I won't own a Taurus. I bought two of these a few years ago, and gave one to my son. :thumbsup:
Lol just messing with you, couldn't read the inscription on the barrel. .

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
although Animal rights nuts like that irritate me, what she said about black bears is
pretty much true. but I do wonder if she is twice the size of the Bear,
Or had an armed Friend beside her..
she had Pretty Steady Hands & was obviously convinced that bear would not
become irrational. I walked up to one already, that close ... but I wasn't calm inside
when he stood up.

I think this is also the lady who dopes up the bears to be placid. I have run into so many bears it's unreal. Only twice have I feared for my life. Once was when I was in my teens I was trout fishing on the Flatbrook and my dad hand gestured and mouthed bear, looked behind me it was less than 10 ft away..The other time I was hiking harriman state park with my dog and I saw this monster 700 plus male clicking his teeth. .

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...but I would still take my ed brown .45 over most handguns made

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw that story and thought, damn, who would have thought? I live in bear country, but haven't had any major problems. One tried to get in the front door once and the grandson went out and chased him off. There was one out in front of the place where I work the other night, tryin to get in the trash, a big rascal, and I went out and ran him off. This time of year, they're really focused on packin in the calories, so they may have some extreme behavior. I don't know what that guy did that provoked the bear, and maybe there was something wrong with the bear. Most of the folks I know who have had bear encounters in the woods have said 'You be cool, and they'll be cool'. My son walked up on a young grizzly up in Wyoming and that technique worked for him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread