Medal of Honor - Please Help!

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several

IN THE TREASURE CORNER - MEDAL OF HONOR

Bill Shaffer's story: He found a Medal of Honor, it was taken from him under false pretenses, and now he has a chance to get it back.

But he needs your help!

The missing clue that may win the day for Bill's case is a photograph that was printed in a treasure magazine 30 years ago. Do you have a copy?

Listen to Bill's story at In the Corner with Dan Hughes, and if you can help, buzz me at [email protected].

Thank you!

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Dave, that's the big problem - he can't remember the magazine or the date. The only way to find it is to page through what you have, looking for the photo of his Medal of Honor.

Ouch!

---Dan

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; On the Medal of Honor there is ALWAYS a number on it that can be sent to the Dept. of Defense and they will be able to tell you "EVERTHING" you need to know about the Medal. I will look for that issue myself. I do remember reading about it. That Medal "BELONGS" to the owner and his Family PERIOD. Us Folks here have a Duty to try and locate that issue and get that Medal back to it's rightful owner. This is a serious call out to EVERYONE here ok. I'll be looking starting tonight. Good Luck. Keep us Posted. PEACE:RONB

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI; Suggestion: Contact ALL the Treasure Magazines and ask them to Research their articles for the one your looking for. They will have that info for you ASAP. They keep a complete list of every article that has ever appeared in their magazines ok. Good luck. Keep us Posted. PEACE:RONB

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi; On the Medal of Honor there is ALWAYS a number on it that can be sent to the Dept. of Defense and they will be able to tell you "EVERTHING" you need to know about the Medal. I will look for that issue myself. I do remember reading about it. That Medal "BELONGS" to the owner and his Family PERIOD. Us Folks here have a Duty to try and locate that issue and get that Medal back to it's rightful owner. This is a serious call out to EVERYONE here ok. I'll be looking starting tonight. Good Luck. Keep us Posted. PEACE:RONB

Good post Barker.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In Dan Hughes recording (referenced in post #1), the publication of the specific treasure magazine was between 1980 and 1985; that should help narrow the search. My problem with this is that Bill Shaffer, supposedly, only has a pic of the medal and has no other information; information that would ID the medal as the one he found--like the number of the metal found on the back side--as 'Barker' mentions above. If Shaffer could ID the medal he found--if placed in a group of similar medals--let me know how he could do it.
Don......

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI; If the Medal has been mixed in with other finds it will still stand out. Itv is VERY distinct. Also the Magazines do have the files of EVER Article that has EVER appeared inn their magazines. A foot note is that back then Western & Eastern Treasure Magazine was actually split into two publications. - Western Treasures Magazine and Easern Trwasure Magazine until they became united ok. I'm still looking ok. PEACE:RONB

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My point was if it were mixed in with other CMoH medals, how could you tell it apart from just looking at the obverse side? I doubt there is any differences on the face (obverse) side of the medal. Therefore, with a pic of only the obverse and not knowing the number, I don't know how you will be able to rightfully claim any of the CMOHs as the stolen one.
Don...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread