Will a Bounty Hunter IV practically pay for itself?

Toasterz1201

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2014
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on a low budget because I don't have any thoughts of doing anything big (just local parks and beaches). Originally I thought "Well, if I find $5 everywhere I go and I'm buying my metal detector with a coupon for $65 that's only like 13 trips!" Anyways my friends think otherwise. I live in a medium size city with a few beaches and I was wondering does anyone who has a little experience have anything to say on weather or not a $65 dollar metal detector will pay for itself.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if you put the time in hunting it should . but do not expect to find $5.00 every time you go out .. But then if you go out and find a nice gold ring it should pay for its self with some cash left over ..

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well , sure you'll gain the amount spent over time - but I really wonder if you are very excited to get into this ? I'm not implying
that you should get an expensive detector - I just think that most of us are way more into the thrill of the hunt than concerned about
when or whether we will pay for our detector with cash value found .

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got over $2,000 invested in three detectors and accoutrements that go with them, and I've been doing this for about 40 years, admittedly mostly for artifacts, and so far I haven't come close to paying for them. I don't sell any of the good stuff I find, if I did I don't think it would pay for the the three detectors anyhow. If you are buying expecting to pay for even an inexpensive machine, I think you are going to be disappointed. Granted, you could luck out, and find a gold coin or a large diamond ring, but there is a reason that type of stuff makes in on the banner. It don't happen that often. I have found stuff important to me, but nothing of mine has ever been on the banner.

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on a low budget because I don't have any thoughts of doing anything big (just local parks and beaches). Originally I thought "Well, if I find $5 everywhere I go and I'm buying my metal detector with a coupon for $65 that's only like 13 trips!" Anyways my friends think otherwise. I live in a medium size city with a few beaches and I was wondering does anyone who has a little experience have anything to say on weather or not a $65 dollar metal detector will pay for itself.
Hello Toasterz1201, welcome.

First of all, I like your optimism! It should be tempered with a bit of realism and patience. At $65.00 w/coupon, the detector would probably find shallow coins/jewelry but, most likely lacks some of the important items on a detector such the ability to discriminate (block out unwanted metals, iron etc.) and adjustable ground balance, which lets the machine adjust to heavy mineralization of soils, for better performance. Even with more sophisticated detectors, a $5.00 avg. per trip is a lofty goal. Enjoyment of the hunt, and patience are important factors to be considered! GOOD LUCK!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It could be a yes or a no. Depends on your luck and progressive ability.
I have been at it over 40 years and have paid for my equipment many times over.
two summers ago, I was searching a 200 year old back yard and found a ring that paid for all my equipment once again.
You never know when your number is coming up! Frank five star.png
ruby gold ring 700.jpg

dusty1530

Aug 14, 2013
Brownsville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got over $2,000 invested in three detectors and accoutrements that go with them, and I've been doing this for about 40 years, admittedly mostly for artifacts, and so far I haven't come close to paying for them. I don't sell any of the good stuff I find, if I did I don't think it would pay for the the three detectors anyhow. If you are buying expecting to pay for even an inexpensive machine, I think you are going to be disappointed. Granted, you could luck out, and find a gold coin or a large diamond ring, but there is a reason that type of stuff makes in on the banner. It don't happen that often. I have found stuff important to me, but nothing of mine has ever been on the banner.

I hhave over $1,000.00 in one dector and I know I will never pay for it but I do enjoy the hunt also I don't always come home with a lot of clad . I usaly come home home with about a $1 to $2 in clad

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I hhave over $1,000.00 in one dector and I know I will never pay for it but I do enjoy the hunt also I don't always come home with a lot of clad . I usaly come home home with about a $1 to $2 in clad
You paid a $1000.00 for your AT Pro .. ?

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So far I have found enough clad to pay for 1 detector and 1 of my PP's since march. I get out maybe 8 hours a week. Most clad I have found has been in parks (the grassy areas) and ball Fields (grassy areas around stands and concessions ). got 2 more detectors and PP's yet to go.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you hunt parks, playgrounds and school grounds, you will likely pick up a couple of dollars in clad each trip. So, if you regularly detect you should get your detector money back family quickly.

OP
OP
T

Toasterz1201

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2014
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its Toasterz1201 again! Thank you all for all of your input. From reading all your replies I have come to the conclusion that if I put the time and effort into it I will probably pay for my detector, but if not the hunt is worth it! Thank you again!:treasurechest:

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When people ask me "Has your metal detector paid for itself?" I unfailingly answer, "It doesn't have to ... I already paid for it."

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Toaster, I began with a little $29.99 detector from Radio Shack. I found enough in my yard, a place that we rented, to pay for the detector in just a few months. I counted wheat cents as 3 cents and silver coins at 10 times the face value. After I decided that I had paid for the detector, I spent $209.99 for a Bounty Hunter 840 'automatic'. I believe that I have paid for it at least once; probably twice. I have bought several other detectors since then. I now have 2 Bounty Hunter 840s, a Bounty Tracker II, a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, and a Bounty Lone Star. I haven't been out with these detectors much due to health problems.
Finally, if you buy an inexpensive detector and use it 'wisely', you'll probably pay for it in a year or two. As earlier said, a lot depends on your location and how much knowledge you have of the area; and then especially the amount of time you spend using the detector.

ItsSawGood

Greenie
Sep 27, 2014
West By Gawd Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Texasred above, as Sheryl Crow says in her lyrics, "its not having what you want, It's wanting what you got.." BH T IV can't be beat for the money, imo. It's all in what you do with it and how you plan. Learn the settings as others have provided on here and the tones given and you'll know what to dig and what to ignore. Its up to you to take it (location, location, location) so you can help it help you. :thumbsup:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Minelab Musketeer Pro the I paid $250 used for (two coils) and that had paid for itself in about four years. I used to hunt my lunchbreaks at a local park and fairground that was beside my place of work.

My F-75 is still paying itself off and may take another six or seven years . . . unless I hit something good.

But I enjoy it and it is a much better investment than cigarettes or lottery tickets.

cammobunker

May 27, 2008
NW Ar-kan-saw
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Mojave, Cibola. Deteknix Pinpointer. Mark I Mod 0 eyeball, too.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pioneer 101 has paid for itself several times over. Of course I did only pay $5 for it at a yard sale...leads had pulled out of one of the battery terminals. Ten minutes soldering it back together and it was good to go.

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
This reminds me of the blonde who received a call from the company that had installed her new vinyl windows a year earlier and was demanding payment."Duh!" She told the collector,"your salesman said they would pay for themselves in a year."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread