The looks of a detector...

jeffinflint

Feb 10, 2007
I know the looks of a detector is about least important thing, but it does make you wonder who is designing these things. For instance, the new Fisher F75 is supposed to be a great detector, from what I am hearing, and I will probably get one to check out. However, it is one terrible looking machine. The color scheme and logos look ridiculous. Who designed that thing? The same people that came up with design and color scheme of the Fisher I.D. Edge? Again, not a bad machine, but it looks like crap. These designers should keep it simple, functional, and inconspicuous. Not just picking on Fisher, because the EXII is also a great detector, but the design sucks. You would think if a company is spending millions on research and development, that they would spend a little time and money refining the final product.

davesx

Aug 27, 2006
essex, england
Hi jeffinflint,
I agree,up to a point, that goes for almost everything cars,
clothes,houses etc even people.

You don't know if you'er going to like something or someone until you get to know them.

HH
Dave.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, I was just wondering this the other day... the designs of most metal detectors are kinda awkward and outdated looking. It'd be cool to see newer designs and maybe also incorporate a function for switching to different LED display settings. LED's are low wattage and may make for a pretty sweet looking detector. Just an idea...

Bran <><

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The looks of a detector...

Dirtry fingernails. Unkempt hair and a filthy hat from adjusting the brim or the headphones with dirty hands. Always walking around looking at the ground. Squinty eyes from walking around in the sunlight and then trying to peer into a dark hole. Knobby knees. Right arm longer than left . . .

Oh, you mean the instrument?

Yeah, the F75 is an odd looking bird. Still, The Saab of the 60's and 70's was an ugly car that I wish I had one of. I have yet to see a picture of it, though, that isn't from a rear quartering and further compressed shot. What's it look like from a full side angle? And how much do you really see when it's under your arm? If they had enclosed the coil instead of making the dead-fish ribs it would have helped, too. Still - makes for a lighter coil and folks seem to desire that.

As the Pennsylvania Dutch say: "Kissing wears out, cooking don't." Proof will be in how it does in the kitchen, not how the wedding photos turm out. ;)

And the nickname that stuck for the A-7 Corsair II?

exhibits_planes_a7_1.jpg

Short Little Ugly F . . . eller. But not quite feller. But the pilots loved 'em.

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
The one that was on e-bay for 450.00 or whatever was in Thailand . I read the listing , also it was that sellers 1st listing . O sales , O feedback . Probably a scam .

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To a certain extent, I don't care what the machine looks like as long as it performs....BUT...I think the designers are just stupid to produce a detector with a flamboyant color scheme. Inconspicuous is best. I will not buy a machine that calls attention to what I do. Otherwise property owners that I've gotten permission from get bothered by tattlers that have nothing better to do. Fisher is my favorite machine for relics. I swear by them. But shame on them for the looks of the easter-egg colored screen on the I.D. Edge model! You'll go batty just lookin at it. The rest of the color scheme is fine. If it were easter egg blue all over I'd pass that machine in a heartbeat! But my main concern with Fisher detectors is that the construction of them just seems to keep getting flimsier and shoddier. The machines look like they'd break if dropped. My trusty old 1266-X is made well...out of fiberglass, METAL rivets, and hard, tough plastic. These new models could very well be great machines, but they just look to flimsy in my book.

Regards,

Buckleboy

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the cobra beach junk-net UGHHHHHH made for people to buy that this bad as snakes detectors are cool

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit that I hate the fishbone looking coil of the F75. Maybe it's performance would grow on you.. Like having a ugly woman that makes you forget she has a paper bag over her head.
As the Pennsylvania Dutch say: "Kissing wears out, cooking don't." Proof will be in how it does in the kitchen, not how the wedding photos turm out.
I can't see bragging about how good a detector is if it looks like it's a reject from a Chinese sweat shop with dragon eyes or cobra fangs on the control panel.
As for the construction of the new Fishers, this is what happens when a company is taken over by a larger company like First Texas that makes Bounty Hunters. Things are outsourced to the lowest bidder and you start getting lower quality products. (read-JUNK)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I don't know if being taken over changes much in the first few years. I have worked for three companies that were hostilly absorbed by much larger corporations (one three times in the 17-1/2 years I worked there) and we stayed small. Just had our profits diverted, paperwork increased, and it became difficult to squeeze capitol for upgrades or replacements as machines aged. One was a very hostile take-over and we were absorbed for our few valid patents, our customer base, and the factory (that was old enough to have supplied Mathew Brady with emulsions for the Civil War) was closed and bulldozed and is now a flat field. Another Kodak moment. >:(

A very good chance that First Texas will keep Fisher intact as their top end detectors (I hope). Ford bought Jaguar but the Jaguar line is still a top end unit. Never have been known for reliability, probably actually have improved that way. They'd be crazy to gut Fisher just when they have a new and seemingly winner of a detector on the field. And ALL companies go with the lowest bidder. Don't kid yourself. As long as you keep the specs. up and quality up it doesn't matter. I don't know enough about Fisher to know if they do it all in-house. I'm thinking Bounty Hunter may have made the Fisher housings for some time. I think the Teknetics T2 (made by Bountey Hunter but marketed by Teknetics) and the Fisher T2 share a lot of components.

http://www.tekneticst2.com/faqs.sstg

Bounty Hunter itself was bought up by First Texas in 1999 and has improved (IMHO) since then.

From the side the F75 isn't so bad looking (I'm interested enough I asked for images from owners and got some). Plastic doesn't scare me. It's light, moisture proof, doesn't dent or chip and is rugged enough when used within it's limitations.

My only involvement here is that the F75 seems to be a heck of a detector. I'm swinging a Minelab and like it very much. And I also have a soft spot in my heart for the small guys - having been through it myself.

Attachments

• F75 Sideview small.jpg
    F75 Sideview small.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 189

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i have th t-2 same package differant programming, first time i saw them i thought they were ugly now i have one i love it. light, comfortable, excellent display, pounding it in the weeds and trees the coil stays set in place much better than my whites had, great depth and audio. would like a smaller coil for a supper trashy park, and need the 4 ft. of snow that just fell in Marquette to melt so i can try it on some of my older sites

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread