AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone "Give back" for future MD'ers...?

So, I have these Mason jar, full of clad that I have found. Not a massive amount in monetary value but it kinda looks cool!

I think I will take it out and bury it.

I just hope that in many many many years someone manages to get a coil over it and has a nice surprise.

If I have a few coins in my pocket, I will often toss them into the local bush or vegetation. My wife asks why, and I say - "giving back to future MD'ers.."

If I ever build anything, inside or outside, I ALWAYS bury something in the structure, to be found in the future.

Am I crazy? :dontknow:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a shame that the clad probably won't last as long as the old coins we find. Look at a new penny after a few months in the dirt. But, I do applaud your idea to give back. I have a lot of "keepers" that don't go into my display frames so, one day I may spread them out for the future MDers. Hack, since I have no one to leave my good finds to they may be returned to the earth as well!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi BVI; I admire your tact. PECE:RONB

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I seed the dry sand on one particular stretch of beach with foreign coins. There are a lot of young hobbyists that scour the sand. Gives them something cool to find instead of the common zincoln. As for the few adults that scour the dry sand, well, my seeding slows them down and keeps them out the the wet lane where I'm scooping.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I would bury a mason jar full of pull tabs.

But that's just me.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got 3 mason jars full of rotted zinks that the bank refuses to take, and actually, I don't blame them. Gives me an idea of what to do with them.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Sounds like throwing money away. Something my father taught me not to do when I tossed a penny out the car window as a kid. Better to givei it to a charity. On the other hand I have thought about butrying a tin container on the beach with a message in it. Perhaps with instructions to write your name and date found and rebury. I wonder how many names you would get in a year?

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I seed the dry sand on one particular stretch of beach with foreign coins. There are a lot of young hobbyists that scour the sand. Gives them something cool to find instead of the common zincoln. As for the few adults that scour the dry sand, well, my seeding slows them down and keeps them out the the wet lane where I'm scooping.

Clever. Clever and devious! I like your style, Double D. 8-)

I can actually cite some similar feelings. I hate golf. I hate football. I am so happy that millions of people love these things, because it keeps them off the lakes I like to fish.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just last weekend I found a nice 12 and a half cent token on saturday then on sunday went to a private piece of property located inside Glacier National Park and showed token to the caretaker when I got home I realized I must have missed my pouch and dropped it. I could probably go back but the thought of someone else finding it and getting the same thrill is good enough for me.

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like your style BVI....nothing wrong with burrying a mason jar of coins for future hunters. Lets say twenty years from now your on this forum showing us all your treasure finds and a new detectorist comes on all excited about finding a mason jar full of coins from near your area = way cool !!!

(we'd have to bury them in containers because they'd never last alone in the dirt.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread