Markham Collector says Dentists Acid Can is to Melt Teeth and Collect Gold Fillings

arob

Nov 27, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Markham Collector says Dentist's Acid Can is to Melt Teeth and Collect Gold Fillings

Carl Parsons from Markham Ontario has a tall, heavy steel can with a ten pound iron lid that he says is a Dentist's Acid Can. I believe him. But this explanation is disputed by folks who believe this piece is a Brewer's Mash pail that belongs in an apothecary, and not a dental office.
carlparsonsbesideacidcan1.jpg

In Carl's estimation, the can is from the 1890s and was used for the caustic reduction of teeth to liberate gold and silver tooth fillings. That's why the lid is so heavy! And the can is tall and acts like a smoke stack to cool down and contain the chemical fumes that issue from the noxious brew. The bottom of the can is slightly pear shaped to best contain the acid mash which decomposes the old teeth, but not the gold and silver fillings. The handles are there so that at the end of the month, the dentist could carry the can outside and dump out the caustic liquid and hopefully find lots of shiny precious metal bits on the ground with little or no trace of the original teeth to which they were once attached.

However, in the 'brewer's mash pail' camp, on the other side of the fence...

The bottom of the can is round and this would support the mashing theory. Also the tall can has many distinct gradations on the side that could be volume indicators which would also make it useful as a brewer's mash pail, and the sheer size of the can supports the idea of making beverages and not reducing teeth to soluble dust- there is no need for a dental office to have such a big can! honestly there can't be that many fillings...?

The heavy iron lid makes the dentist's acid can theory and the brewer's mash of fermenting liquids equally plausible.

my own Dumpdiggers blog about the dentist acid can puts it firmly in the dentists acid can camp, without even mentioning the controversy 'brewing' around this queer antique.

Have you ever seen anything like before? What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have my doubts using this can for acid considering acids strong enough to destroy teeth might be too strong and would eat the cans bottom out...might be wrong though.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, I have read a true storie of a murderer dumping a body in acid filled vat to hide there dastardly deed, but they were caught by using the only remaining part, there teeth. I also agree with the statement above that metal is never used to store acid. it is usually kept in glass containers.
Just my thoughts. Frank five star.png
111-1 profile.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread