Best Relic Hunting Foot Wear?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just Wondering What Others Consider the Best Boots for those long Days of Relic hunting.
In best 'I mean Price , Comfort , Durability , Overall Quality.

I usually wear Cleats of some kind their great for hunting Hill Sides , Climbing in & out of Creek Beds
And other Ravines but I would not dare walk across a old log ' Fallen Tree' & it's a pain to cross creeks using the slippery Rocks.
Also their great for Digging out the first couple inches of dirt over a Target.

Soo
Any Type of boot I get Must have a Good Cleat'ed bottom + be able to provide track'son on rocks and such..

The Cleat's still work good on Short Hunts and for around $5 a pair ( Used) - Works for me .
but
For those 6+ hour hunts like yesterday , They just Wont Cut it.

Thanks for any opinions.

Oh and watch out in those Hardwoods ; Those Large Acorns Hurt..Lol
Was also Carpet Bombed by the Oak's All day Yesterday. The Squirrels are loving it.

Davers

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't tell you what is the best boot. But, I am thinking that in some parts of the country you would want protection from snakes also. Here in Jersey where we love I don't have to worry about that. But woods hunting I have a pair of mid high timberland boots that I love.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I usually just wear trail hikers, like Merrells, although I just picked up a pear of Guide Gear 8 1/4" waterfroof boots for the winter. The price of boots is shooting up. I ordered these for $44 and they are now $54. I got them because the specs were right and most of the other boots are hovering around $100 on Sportsmans Guide site. I do have a pear of snake proof boots, but they are kind of high for some more casual usages. Frank five star.png
Misc-3.jpg Misc-3.jpg

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snakes not a problem around here ..( ill likely be bit next time out).

The ones I see that would meet my needs run from around 100$-300$ & if I pay over 150 they better last Quite a Few years 'of normal wear'

Suppose "you get what you pay for"

Davers

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flip flops:)

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm partial to these ... :headbang:

Attachments

• thT279H38Q.jpg
    thT279H38Q.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 107

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just Wondering What Others Consider the Best Boots for those long Days of Relic hunting.

Good topic, Davers! :icon_thumleft: I think boots and clothing are gear also. Look at it this way: You can have the hottest detector, a sweet GPS, the best digging tools, and do the most-thorough research, but if you are freezing cold or drippy hot, or your feet are wet and hurting, then you may miss that one last swing over the find of a lifetime.

I have a pair of LaCrosse Burly boots that I love in the Fall and Spring. They are so comfy and warm! Great in wet grass. Alternately, for other times in dry but cool weather I wear a pair of 8" Redwing leather boots. Fit like a glove. Finally, for lawns and parks I like my Keen low hikers. I love the shoes! Such a great sole, and I love the way they have a little extra rubber toecap, which is actually quite nice when you are on your knees a lot. They dont get the typical worn-out look.

These are what I wear, and while I am certainly not as seasoned an MDer as a lot of you, I have had a lifetime of outdoor sporting and wilderness travel. Footwear IS gear, and should be considered as much!

Was also Carpet Bombed by the Oak's All day Yesterday. The Squirrels are loving it.

Haha! I can definitely relate to that! I have a couple aluminum boats turned over outside my shed - under the oaks. I'll be working outside and periodically hear a loud bang! :laughing7:

TheHappyCanadian

Sep 14, 2014
Vancouver
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Garrett AT Pro
Deteknix Xpointer
ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anything not steel-toed as I found out last night :(

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok

Ditto here in LA (lower Alabama). During the 2-3 days temps get below 40 degrees, I might throw on some tennis shoes.

Come-on

From Dothan - Mobile I,m pretty sure you have several nights where the temp gets down
into the 20's per , year.

Do yall have the Big Eastern Diamond Back's Like they do in SE Georgia & Fla?

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anything not steel-toed as I found out last night :(

I hear ya..

A couple pair's of the Cleats I wear [ tho not the metal Baseball type] have metal in them somewhere
& with low discrimination set on my machine ( Esp, The Tejon) . They will make the machine tone.

Now I wonder about Metal eyelets .:icon_scratch:
Davers

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good topic, Davers! :icon_thumleft: I think boots and clothing are gear also. Look at it this way: You can have the hottest detector, a sweet GPS, the best digging tools, and do the most-thorough research, but if you are freezing cold or drippy hot, or your feet are wet and hurting, then you may miss that one last swing over the find of a lifetime.

I have a pair of LaCrosse Burly boots that I love in the Fall and Spring. They are so comfy and warm! Great in wet grass. Alternately, for other times in dry but cool weather I wear a pair of 8" Redwing leather boots. Fit like a glove. Finally, for lawns and parks I like my Keen low hikers. I love the shoes! Such a great sole, and I love the way they have a little extra rubber toecap, which is actually quite nice when you are on your knees a lot. They dont get the typical worn-out look.

These are what I wear, and while I am certainly not as seasoned an MDer as a lot of you, I have had a lifetime of outdoor sporting and wilderness travel. Footwear IS gear, and should be considered as much!

Haha! I can definitely relate to that! I have a couple aluminum boats turned over outside my shed - under the oaks. I'll be working outside and periodically hear a loud bang! :laughing7:

Thanks For the interest & great post higgy.

Footwear is Def, gear IMO also ,Heck I was wondering if I should post this under "Tools"
but figured i'd get more reply's here.

Being Featured on " lifestyles of the Po & Broke"

A high end pair of Shoes or Boots Will be a Good investment.

Just looking the other day I amazed at the Diff, styles & Price Ranges

I,m Really rough on footwear , So I usually get my shoes From my Dad ( who gets a new pair every other month, if needed or not) or used but for Boots I want a new pair So they can conform to my foot overtime..
I have lots of wants & many needs ; this boot thing is becoming a need a I get Old.:thumbsup:

Davers

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Flip flops:)

Me too! :laughing7
Although I STILL have problems holding my Margarita while swinging the coil.....:occasion14:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear boots in areas that might have snakes, or if its wet, or muddy. But most times, Im just rocking some New Balance, since Im on my feet all the time. The boots are great. But I noticed if Im hunting on hillsides or slopes, they tend to start hurting after awhile...I tried the flip flop thing before in the summer...it was No bueno's

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No flip-flops as I can't stand anything between my toes, but for (dry) summer hunting, even in the woods, I like to wear good sandals, cool and comfortable but securely strapped on. Since we do have rattlers and moccasins around here I wear boots when in the more marshy areas to stay drier and safer. Don't have enough hills locally to worry about cleats.

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when i buy new sneakers, my old ones still get the most use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread