Vancouver
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Garrett AT Pro
Deteknix Xpointer
ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
went out yesterday evening with the wife to do a sweep of a local playground, so we dressed for the cooler weather and brought a flashlight. Three hours later we had found some clad, pulltabs, hairpins, and misc. junk. As it started to get darker I asked her to hold the flashlight up so I could see the screen better. I also shortened the shaft so I could get a better view of the readout and sweep closer to myself. Suddenly with each step I was pinging a large steel object 8 inches away, coming in so strong that it made me stop, sweep again, only to find it had disappeared.

twenty minutes of turning the machine off and on, shaking sand off the coil, and telling my wife to move the flashlight away, she says to me, "wait, are you wearing your work boots?" me: "yes, why?" her: "aren't they steel-toed?" me: "yea, they're my only comfor- oh for ******* sake!" Each step was pinging and then sweeping over my foot confirmed it. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Last edited by a moderator:

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't feel like you are anything special, you've just joined a rather non exclusive club.

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the two posters above, been there, done that. Don't feel bad.

fliermartin

Sep 11, 2014
southeast wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATgold and Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep I don't know how many times i've been usin my pinpointer on a handful of dirt only to find my wedding ring lol

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know how may sweet shallow silver signals I chased halfway to China only to find soda cans. And don't get me started on the digging I did when my propointer started falsing.

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
grabbing a handful of dirt and running it in front of coil, keep getting a silver reading but nothing in the dirt...10 minutes later figured out I had my ring still on. getting strong signal in hole with pin pointer but finding nothing over and over...trowel sitting at edge of hole...swinging detector for 15 minutes with it tuned off..keep finding surface coins...hole in my pocket...

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It's part of the learning curve of detecting.
Let's check, steel toes, ring on your finger, your digging tool to close, loose coil wire waving around, and the most evasive of all, digging in the center of a barrel hoop or wagon wheel rim. I think I got most of them. Frank five star.png

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't there an I.D. card for this club. Sign me up.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So..I get my shiny new AT Pro this spring..just about attacked the Fed-Ex man ripping the box out of his hands, and as I had already had a bunch of great sites lined up, I set off in search of untold wealth. FIRST spot..late 1800's farmhouse. As I had installed the batteries at home and gave it a quick test run with some surface coins, I knew it worked. Sooo...I fire that gem up, and proceed for 20 minutes trying to hunt with the detector going absolutely bonkers! bing bing bong grunt grunt bong..etc..and numbers flashing everywhere. I change batteries..twice. Turn it off and on..re-read the manual..ugh!! So frustrated, got my new machine, at a great spot..and my machine is crapping out. So..my friend and Mrs. Homeowner cruises over to see why I'm on the porch and not in the yard..and also reminds me that the electronic underground dog fence is on...... ddf

dusty1530

Aug 14, 2013
Brownsville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So..I get my shiny new AT Pro this spring..just about attacked the Fed-Ex man ripping the box out of his hands, and as I had already had a bunch of great sites lined up, I set off in search of untold wealth. FIRST spot..late 1800's farmhouse. As I had installed the batteries at home and gave it a quick test run with some surface coins, I knew it worked. Sooo...I fire that gem up, and proceed for 20 minutes trying to hunt with the detector going absolutely bonkers! bing bing bong grunt grunt bong..etc..and numbers flashing everywhere. I change batteries..twice. Turn it off and on..re-read the manual..ugh!! So frustrated, got my new machine, at a great spot..and my machine is crapping out. So..my friend and Mrs. Homeowner cruises over to see why I'm on the porch and not in the yard..and also reminds me that the electronic underground dog fence is on...... ddf
:laughing7:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay I'll admit that I'm a full-fledged member of The Royal Order of Steel-Toed Idiots. :laughing7:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, :laughing7:

Most of us have experienced something like that but... :dontknow: The way you told your story was brilliant !! :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will admit to being a victim of my own footware in the past!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's part of the learning curve of detecting.
Let's check, steel toes, ring on your finger, your digging tool to close, loose coil wire waving around, and the most evasive of all, digging in the center of a barrel hoop or wagon wheel rim. I think I got most of them. Frank View attachment 1061848

Ditto on the barrel hoop hate those with a passion !!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You are NOT an idiot. You just learned a valuable lesson that will make you a better treasurre hunter...

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya also don't hold a sand scoop too close to The detector, you'll be going around in circles wondering why your picking up a signal on the left swing but nothing when you turn and search the spot! Done that!
Sometimes I just can't get out if my own way! Lol!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Ya also don't hold a sand scoop too close to The detector, you'll be going around in circles wondering why your picking up a signal on the left swing but nothing when you turn and search the spot! Done that!
Sometimes I just can't get out if my own way! Lol!

I learned the scoop thing the hard way. I now carry it on my shoulder so it won't trip my PI.
Hay you can't even carry the shovel with a 2 Box. It has to be at least 6' away, on the low detector setting. Frank five star.png
Tool shovel-700.jpg Yea, it's all metal.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have leather uppers now when I hunt. Noob wife was detecting a ache for me when the machine nulled over a dug area. So she runs her wedding band over the coil to see whats going on. Of course I know that sound I came running down the hill, not missing any cactus. I get around the boulder and she is laughing.........made trips way out in the desert and the wrongs shoes cut it short.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's see now....The learning curve had me wearing steel toes, checking finds under the coil wearing a watch, looking down while wearing a hat and nailing my head on the end of a kids playground 2x4, having my hat/glasses/headphones yanked off by branches, digging in my sweaty ears with grubby fingers and getting an ear infection etc. Ya, I had a few rough patches along the way. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread