I need your advise

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandson turns 4 next month and I thought about getting a little detector since he likes to dig up my targets,but they are so expensive.I just looked on amazon and walmart.com and to my supprise there's some in the $40-50 range.Since I'm just starting out myself I don't think I would be a very good judge of these products so I'd like someone more experianced to point me to something(really cheap ) that will last him a couple years to see if it takes with me then at a later date think about a better one.I don't want it to be just "a toy" but rather a "tool" for him.Any ideas guys?Bounty huntes,VLF, and wildgame intovations are the ones I'm seeing but I don't feel competent enough to even choose a mdel.
Thanks all.

Wade

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Compadre

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest a Bounty hunters. I'm not familiar with the others

But from looking at the pic of wildgame intovations 50 Dollar detector online it definitely
looks like a toy.
Yes Looks can be Deceiving but Bounty hunter is a more familiar Name.

no matter what, at that price you do get what you pay for .
but it should be good enough for him to learn on

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see Terry Beat me to the Draw, Tesero may be a Good alternative choice to at least look into.
They are light

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All Tesoro models find stuff, but in my honest opinion, the age of four is still a little too young. Not old enough to catch the significance of it, but just happy to be spending time with grandpa. Just my opinion. Don't mean anything by it. My grandson is 3.5 and I'll take him fishing, but detecting - no.

Sandigger2

Mar 25, 2012
Ventura County,So Cal
Detector(s) used
DFX, PIDF,CZ 21,F5,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
He may be a little young for a detector, but let him use your pinpointer in the plug or for surface finds. Makes a sound and will hold his attention.
An inexpensive functional pin pointer is available at Harbor Freight.HH

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yea, I would hold off for a year or two before getting him a detector..this coming from a guy who resigned from coaching 4 year old T-ball kids:BangHead:

be2019

Oct 18, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son is 7 and goes with me all the time, however he is the "pin pointer guy" because he isn't really strong enough to swing for very long, and he's a big kid for his age. Digging is another challenge for him, but give him a fanny pack with pennies and trash to carry hes one happy camper.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be nearly guaranteed to find something on your local Craigslist for $25 or so.

Often one of the nicer Bounty Hunter units.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please don't buy a BountyHunter and/or shop at Walmart. You can get better products at Harbor Freight. I don't recommend that either.
Just get a cheap Garrett or Tesoro.
Good luck.
Peace

thumper

Nov 25, 2005
clifton forge virginia
Detector(s) used
radioshack discovery 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bounty hunters work just fine. For a child to learn on it will be great. I myself have 2 bounty hunters and an at pro. I still use.the bounty hunters in the tot lots

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son is 7 and goes with me all the time, however he is the "pin pointer guy" because he isn't really strong enough to swing for very long, and he's a big kid for his age. Digging is another challenge for him, but give him a fanny pack with pennies and trash to carry hes one happy camper.
Yeah, he might have more fun using a pin pointer in the hole you dig...Garrett Pro Pointers are fun to use.

OP
OP

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey y'all! Thanks for the replies! I kind of thought my thread had died so being very busy trying to get wood in for winter I haven't checked in on it.This is all pretty good info for me.My biggest fear is if I start him out too early he might loose interest and not continue in MDing.Any thought on this?

Wade

billyjoe42

May 10, 2007
Placer Co, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, White's M6, Gray Ghost Amphibians, Sun Ray Gold, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wade, Applause for including grandson in your interests :notworthy:. I have learned to go with the flow of my 7 yr-old grandson's changing interests. Some days he likes pinpointing, then going to Home Depot, then "organizing" my toolbox. Sometimes, just throwing rocks in the water! Enjoy these times, my friend.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will take my grandkids detecting with me at the park or beach. When they get bore with detecting they will play in the play ground while I detect and they will come back over to me later to see my finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread