May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Diamonds: The Greatest Myth Ever Sold

published by Tom Sullivan on Sat, 2014-10-04 09:21

Sut Jhally breaks down the diamond myths for Morgan Spurlock's film: "The Greatest Movie Ever Sold"

I recall seeing a black and white picture of natives on their knees with a tin can around their necks picking them up.

I'll take a ruby or emerald over diamond any day!!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup , it's high time people wake up and realize that the vast majority of diamonds are massively over priced because of the monopoly
that has had a stranglehold on not only the mining , but also the distribution of them for well over a century . White diamonds under
a full carat are VERY common !!! ( I too would much rather have a ruby , emerald, or sapphire .)

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You may be successful with the opposite sex when you have an emerald or ruby to give her, but trust me, a diamond works wonders and that makes it worth its weight in gold...source: old age and experience...

ole miss rebel

Feb 22, 2013
North Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But, isn't the high value of a diamond the result of AFTER it is cut?
Not anyone can shape a diamond.
I agree though, it's not that valuable straight out of the ground.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marketing, propaganda………this is but one example of how we are manipulated……as for a woman who feels a diamond is necessary or that a diamond reflects the degree of your love……perhaps, another woman is the answer.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You may be successful with the opposite sex when you have an emerald or ruby to give her, but trust me, a diamond works wonders and that makes it worth its weight in gold...source: old age and experience...

Frankly, Austin, I'm not fond of women who prize diamonds so dearly. My source is old age and experience as well. I prefer girls who prefer my affections over any bauble.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup , it's high time people wake up and realize that the vast majority of diamonds are massively over priced because of the monopoly that has had a stranglehold on not only the mining, but also the distribution of them for well over a century.

I have a marketing degree. When I was in college, we studied De Beers and their skulduggery. They've had a long history of price fixing, human rights violations, blood diamonds - and the list is a long one.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't eat or drink diamonds. They don't keep warm or cool. They can only be looked at. I've never seen a diamond that I would rather keep than have the money in my pocket that it will sell for. I wouldn't sell a diamond for less than what I thought it was worth; but if I could sell it for a decent price, I would.
I have a set of rings that belonged to my wife before she died. She wore them very few times after we bought them. She still wore her old set. She was buried with the old set. I haven't kept the newer set because of their sentimental value because there is none. I just haven't had the chance to sell them at a decent price. Everyone wants a much bigger diamond than these rings have.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not fond of women who prize diamonds so dearly. My source is old age and experience as well. I prefer girls who prefer my affections over any bauble.

I have a marketing degree. When I was in college, we studied De Beers and their skulduggery. They've had a long history of price fixing, human rights violations, blood diamonds - and the list is a long one.

Bingo...Higgy wins the cigar

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
When you are 'mining' for affection, a diamond is an effective 'tool'.
Don......

By trying to buy affection what do you end up with.Nothing but fake.:laughing7:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what happens when one entity has total control, greed is never a good thing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread