Metal Detectors & Money

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
Metal Detectors & Money

I see a lot of posts where people are hoping that their detector will find enough money to pay for itself . I like to hunt as a hobby & it never entered my mind to wonder if my deer rifle was going to pay for itself . Same goes for my muzzleloader , varmit rifle , shotguns & pistols . Actually I have several guns , a boat , fishing poles , atv ect . Never once did I hope any one of these things was going to pay for itself . Same for my detector . I buy & use these things for enjoyment . I'm just curious how many of you are wondering if you'll find enough money to pay for your detector . I haven't found enough to pay for gas & batteries & probably never will . Does it worry me , well now I'm looking for a camping trailer so I can travel around & detect different places & stay here & there for a few days at a time . HH

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Re: Metal Detectors & Money

All of mine have paid for themselves over and over just by getting out and enjoying nature. If I was to do it for the exercise, I could have saved $hundreds$ and just started jogging around the blockI never sat down and calculated on paper that I need to find $76.81 more in clad to justify to the wife that the clean sweep coil is what's really needed to fill the coffer or that $49 digger would really help get those coins that's mired in some heavy clay soil.
It's just nice that it's one of the hobbies that pays for itself in all kinds of ways. JMO. HH!

NorCal 6er

Aug 24, 2006
chowchilla, ca
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, GMT, XLT, Fisher C$, Gold Bug 2, 1225, 1220, Minelab SD2200v2

I started MD back in the late 60's, first MD'er about 40+$ lots of money back then have had 4 since then the last one w/extra coils and stuff would cost to replace about $1500.
never once did I think about finding enough money to pay for itself I get enjoyment of finding stuff, if its a penny I hope for a wheat, If its some miners thing I hope its in good shape just to look at and share.
I like doing the research then go and see what I can find, not for the money just for the joy.
some of the stuff I find I give away if somebody else likes it.
still looking for my first gold coin, that I would keep forever.

Thats the problem now days, people only think of money.

HH
Joe

NorCal 6er

Aug 24, 2006
chowchilla, ca
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, GMT, XLT, Fisher C$, Gold Bug 2, 1225, 1220, Minelab SD2200v2

just wanted to add all the coins I find go in my grandkids piggy banks

HH
Joe

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250

I've only been MD'ing for about a month now. It's a new hobby for me. I've found maybe $3.00 total in clad after a total of 15-20 total hours of swinging the detector. I only bought my MD for $50.00 used. If I never find enough to 'pay' for the MD, I don't care. The true value (to me) of this hobby is the fresh air, rain, sunshine, snow, frozen ground, mud, wind, and everything else mother nature can throw at me. I truly love being outside experiencing these things and this hobby gives me an excuse. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I know she sees how happy I am after I come back and how much happier I am even the day or two after having been out. This is an addiction I have with being outside. My job keeps me inside most of the time, so this is just one more thing to do outside in the elements. I also like fishing and hunting too. All outdoor hobbies pay for themselves with the experience. I hope to teach my children that too.

OP
OP
WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250

By the way after rereading my post it didn't come across exactly like I intended . Out of the things I listed as toys for my enjoyment only two of my guns , the fishing poles & the metal detector were purchased new . I'm also looking for a used camper . If I hadn't been afraid of getting a metal detector that didn't work properly I would have bought that used also . The point I was really trying to make was for me life is about enjoying myself & being happy . I have never believed money could buy happiness so I don't worry about justifiying the price of my toys . HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I was bitten by the detecting bug, I at first worried about finding enough to pay for my batteries. As experience grew so did my finds and I soon forgot the dollar amount I was collecting and just enjoyed being out doing it. Soon I sold the bassboat and bought a small van camper for traveling to all the beaches. I never thought about if the fish I caught would pay for the time spent.

rumme

Apr 2, 2007

HECK YAAAA....I am hoping I find enough goodies to pay for the cost of my new metal detector { $379.99}| . For those who say that they could care less if they dont find anything worth monetary value in this hobby, does that mean you would be happy to find bottle caps and pull tabs everyday for the rest of your life ?

Just because a person would like to find some goodies to help pay for the cost of their metal detector , doesnt mean that they also worship money or feel money is the only important thing in life. I put money in my 401k plan and im hoping it will make money...that doesnt mean everything in my life takes 2nd place to money.

For all of those who claim they dont do this hobby to find money/goodies/valuables..Ill make you a deal....Once I start hunting with my new detector, come on out to my hunting sites and dig all the holes for me and when you find things worth monetary value, give those things to me :o :o ;)..

Ill be the 1st to admit that if I start this hobby and dont find things that have some monetary value, I will be severly dissapointed. I have no desire to spend countless hours a year digging holes in the ground with hot sun or cold wind beating down on me, only to dig up other peoples litter. Think about it :}

ernie

Jun 11, 2004

hell if my detectors could pay for themselves i would be a millionair.i still have thirteen and sold more than that in my detecting years.i just love getting out and love the machines.not to mention the friends fresh air etc.

rumme

Apr 2, 2007

so I wonder if people would be willing to get into this hobby and spend hundreds { or thousands} of dollars on equipment and countless hours a year knowing ahead of time that all they would ever find/ dig up was worthless nails, bottle caps and tin foil ?

Reality check :

I dont think most people would continue on with this hobby or become interested in it, if we never found anything worth value. Spending time and money on equipment to dig up rusty nails doesnt make much sense IMHO

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Anyone who comes to metal detecting with the idea of becoming rich does not stay long. Metal detecting is a hobby for most. For most it provides fun, exercise, and just plain good times. If we look at all we do, with and for metal detecting, we may be able to say that metal detecting does pay for itself and the opportunities it provides to experience life are well, "PRICELESS", to quote a popular credit card company. Remember to enjoy you next detecting outing.

Ed D.

rumme

Apr 2, 2007

I certainly dont plan to get " rich" off of a $379.99 investment in a metal detector. I do however expect to eventually find items worth value all of which will help me to recoup my inital cost of venturing into this hobby.

Anyone that would try and tell me they would continue to do this hobby on a time consuming basis if all they ever found was rusty nails is full of bull..IMHO...

we may not expect to find that gold piece or silver dollar, but the thought of getting lucky and finding such a item is alot of what drives people into this hobby and keeps them there.

I figure I spent $379.99 on a detector...if after a year of learning the machine and searching several times a week, all year long, if I havent recouped at least half of my purchase price for the detcetor, I will be severly dissapointed and probably sell my detector. I certainly have many other hobbies I could enjoy more then diggin up nothing but junk and rusty nails without ever getting some type of payoff with a good find.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rumme,

I think you are missing the point of some of the post. We are saying that you get out of detecting what you will. I get a lot more than money. I enjoy the research before and after the hunt. I belong to a club and enjoy the interaction. I would rather find an 100 year old Indian head penny worth 15 cents than dig $3.00 in clad. If you would place a little more emphases on the whole detecting experience you may find it all more valuable. If you are in it for the money, I still wish you luck. May your coil pass over much $Silver$ and $Gold$.

Ed D.

rumme

Apr 2, 2007

maybe....but then again, here is a question directly from the 1st post that started this thread :

quote :
" I'm just curious how many of you are wondering if you'll find enough money to pay for your detector ..

end quote...

so im basically replying to that question and stating my opinion that most people would not be doing this as a consistent hobby unless they thought they would find worthy items sooner or later. I would have never entered this hobby if I only thought nails and bottle caps would be the payoff for hours worth of time and digging. I think its safe to assume this is also the case for most others in this hobby or thinking of entering it. If people just wanted to dig for junk and were happy with that, {and exercise} , they could buy a cheap shovel or garden trowl. No need to spend hundreds of dollars on a metal detector and read a 40- page instuction manual :}

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

I have been doing this for 43 years and I had friends in the past who MD. They usually didn't last long as they quickly became bored. Well I stuck with it and put the hours in. When I did find a valuable item I would show them and presto they would become interested again. Same story- They quickly gave it up again and went on to other pursuits.

Perhaps it is just a "weeding out" process. Just look on E-Bay to see the incredible list of machines from people who are getting out of the hobby. These people couldn't pay for their machines. This hobby is not for everyone. It requires incredible patience, stamina, persistence and out and out luck. It just does require the "right stuff". The people who have listed the enjoyment out of the hobby at the top of the list will prevail. If you view finding something of value as a "bonus" instead of as a requirement you will prevail.

When I was coin hunting and found 3 IH's I would be thrilled and they would end up in my collection. For me spending 3 hours searching and $20 in gas to find items worth 3 cents is well worth it to me. I have little free time and what little l have of it is valuable to me.

George

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro

Whether I find enough to pay off a detector, I more than get my money back with the comraderie I have with nature and like minded friends.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000

I've only been MD'ng less than a year. I know I will never find enough treasures to pay for my DFX or all of my equipment. That doesn't bother me in the least. I just retired two months ago from a very stressful federal govt job that cost me 4 heart attacks and a quadruple bypass. During my recuperation time, it dawned on me that money isn't everything. Oh it definitely paid for my DFX, but it couldn't give me the peace and quiet that MD'ng gives me....or the excitement of finding a "treasure" on the beach. Years ago I dreamt of becoming a history teacher....and, after 4 years in college studying to be a history teacher, I decided to give up the quest. But....I never gave up on history. I still love the burning desire to know the how, when, where, and why of something. Last year after getting my White's DFX, I went to Rehoboath Beach, DE and found 3 Greek 20 Drachma coins in the beach sand. My MD'ng addiction went sky high! How did they get there, what was the story behind how they got there? So, now I am retired. I no longer have a stressful job. But, I have found a wonderful hobby....and one that just might keep me alive for many years to come. God willing and the creek don't rise. ;D

rumme

Apr 2, 2007

Agreed, money isnt everything...then again, your gonna need it to buy a metal detector ::) ::)

unless someone knows a place where they are giving them away . If so, Im looking for a free Valquero by Tesoro ;D

cj5wagomando

Greenie
Mar 5, 2007
bay area, ca

Most here probably don't do it for the money. This just seems to be a hobbie that has the chance to pay for itself if one is finding valuable (in monitary terms) objects. With fishing for example the possibility of you equipment paying for itself is not going to happen unless you are selling fish you cought out of your driveway after the fishing trip. (which one of my old neighbors used to do).

enjoy

Jonesin

Apr 1, 2007
Mckeesport, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

I hunt, fish and MD, and never once have I though that this sport/hobby was going to make me money. You are always looking for the BIG one, but if you don't find it, you tell yourself "I'll get em next time". If I was only in this for the money, it would be like a job and I already have one. One of best finds was an old tootsietoy truck and I had one just like it when I was a kid. As Ed D. said "priceless"

Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread