Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you remember these?
With a fill-up, you received a weekly presidential token at Shell gas stations back in the 70s. Each were to be inserted into it's appropriate slot in a cardboard display. I've found 5 over the years. Each is worth less than the time it takes to dig 'em.
Recently I dug another, I thought. Most were size of quarters. This one is large cent size. Still, I throw it in pouch and continue on. I then find a 1914 Barber dime! A first for me, so I'm elated!
Once home, I carefully clean and encase my Barber, totally forgetting bout the token.
So yesterday, I get my gear together for a Sunday hunt. Finds pouch still has token in it. I then clean token to reveal an 1864 Lieut. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant political campaign token! I still can't believe it...
A bit of research revealed, only 200/300 of this die-variety were minted!
Long story short... check and clean ALL finds.
Good luck to all.
Peace

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember the Antique Car Coins from SUNOCO in the 60's

I find them occasionally

Vintage 1968 Sunoco Antique Car Series Coin 1915 Packard Twin Six | eBay

& have found the Presidential Medals with my Detector also But wasn't aware Shell put out any I never found one of these

Untitledqq.jpg Untitledaa.jpg

Vintage Shell Oil Company's Mr President Game Token James Polk | eBay

Last edited:

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good story CincinattiKid. Sound advice too, and I'll add, always check those flat button backmarks too! Good huntin

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember the old Gasamat tokens. They were the original prepay for gas. You had to buy tokens and then put them in the pump to get gas.

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember the Shell oil President coins. They came in aluminum with a gas purchase and if you collected them all you could trade them in for a bronze set. Something to that effect any way. Seems to me that these where mid 60's though.

JimK

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all!
xr7ator, sorry for no pics, but I posted from a 3g phone. Pics are nearly impossible. I was trying to covey my ignorance in assuming a find and not readily cleaning it.
Peace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions