Considering a 3rd machine

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Sov XS and an AT Pro. Both serve me well. Honestly, I love the Sov even with it being heavy and no depth info.

I have been considering/upgrade getting a 3rd gently USED machine. The Sov GT, E-Trac, or Explorer SE Pro are my front runners. The GT because it is the slightly upgraded version of my XS, the E-trac because of its info and programmability (even though I have a Mac... I know, put WinXP on the backside), and the Explorer because it is a simpler version of the E-trac and is a little cheaper.

I hunt coins, relics, jewelry, in dirt, sand, and saltwater. I am not stuck on any brand. Budget: $600-800.
So which would you go with OR what other machine would you recommend?

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My F75 has become my most used machine....with its 5 inch coil you can hunt even the trashiest of sites......just another machine to consider.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can find an E-TRAC within your budget, BUY IT! If not, save you loot til you can buy an E-TRAC.
Initially, I didn't think much of E-TRACs, til I had one in hand and spent a few hours w it. Simply wonderful.
I'm never opposed to additional detectors. I still want more. ;)
Do yourself a favor and at least spend an outting w an E-TRAC. No harm done if you don't like it. Still, try an E-TRAC.
Very good luck to you.
Peace

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My choice would be an e-trac too. From what I have seen they are great detectors. Out of my price range though. I have seen them as low as $800 on Craigslist.

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
There's a few etracs for sale in the 700-800 range on another forum....You need to go (finds) It....If you cannot locate the adds,shoot me a message.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on what you want it to do. The Minelabs are good coins and relic machines. The Fisher F75 goes deep. I have a nice used Explorer SE in the Tnet classifieds.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
The f75 not only goes deep...I really think its a fast machine for seperation right?I haven't had a chance to try one.i used an Explorer SE..my 1st minelab..What a great machine.I put the newer coil type on the one I had.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure bout an F75. Haven't used one ..yet.
But, I do have exp w its lil bro, the F70. Blazing fast. Deep too. Light as a feather.
Peace

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would get an E-trac, but they are hard to find used under $1,000. The Etrac is a great detector and I think it goes a little bit deeper than the CTX, but with my experience with the CTX, it is a little frustrating to use. The Etrac will get you ready if you ever upgrade to a CTX.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Sov XS and an AT Pro. Both serve me well. Honestly, I love the Sov even with it being heavy and no depth info.

I have been considering/upgrade getting a 3rd gently USED machine. The Sov GT, E-Trac, or Explorer SE Pro are my front runners. The GT because it is the slightly upgraded version of my XS, the E-trac because of its info and programmability (even though I have a Mac... I know, put WinXP on the backside), and the Explorer because it is a simpler version of the E-trac and is a little cheaper.

I hunt coins, relics, jewelry, in dirt, sand, and saltwater. I am not stuck on any brand. Budget: $600-800.
So which would you go with OR what other machine would you recommend?
Personally to be honest I would give serious consideration to a Fors CoRe....

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
considering a 3rd machine. over the yrs I have had at least a dz machine. I still have 6, 3 for the water and 3 for land detecting. Been thinking about letting a couple of them go can only used 1 at a time.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another endorsement for the F70.

It can be had for between 4 and 5 hundred, gently used... and it is super fast recovery, and very deep (even with the sensitivity down).

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the F75 deep and fast now you can get the new upgrade put in the older 75's that should be a real beast :occasion14:

OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well... Yesterday I got a good deal on a nice used E-Trac. It should arrive next week. If it doesn't suit me (or breaks my arm off), I'll have a hard look at the F75.

Thanks for all the advice! Now... where is my Koolaid?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done! I think you will be very happy.
Andy Sabisch's E-TRAC Handbook was extremely helpful to me. My E-TRAC was my first Minelab product. I usually detect using a modified version of his coin program and have recently had great success.
The "flute" tones initially disturbed me. Not true now after app 150hrs in the field. I love the small tone changes that once overwhelmed me.
Many E-TRAC users swear by "two tone ferrous". Be sure to give it a try.
Looking forward to your thoughts when you receive E-TRAC.
Congratulations!
Peace

OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the IM that my E-Trac was at the post office. Since my company is closed today, I called and had them hold it for pickup. Got home, assembled it and started playing. It's has a few scratches but overall is in great shape. It still has the screen protector on it. Since it's raining, field trials will have to wait. Time to start reading and learning.

My thanks go out to Richard at Backwoods Detectors on the great deal and quick delivery!

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally to be honest I would give serious consideration to a Fors CoRe....

That's quite a statement from you TH, a Minelab guy. I remember your post on using the Fors the first time, certainly made me think about it too.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's quite a statement from you TH, a Minelab guy. I remember your post on using the Fors the first time, certainly made me think about it too.
I was highly impressed with the Nokta Fors CoRe.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Choice of machine depends on what your objective is for that tool, where you plan to hunt and budget of course. In my case, first was the Minelab Safari; second was the Excalibur II and third was the XP Deus. I like them all for different reasons and uses.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread