So my new Time Ranger metal detector arrived today...my brain is killing me

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
after reading this instruction manual 3 times thru...Sniff mode, blanker mode, discrimination mode, presets, sensitivity, ground balancing..etc..etc....

HOLY COMOLY.....

This is for a Time Ranger by Bounty Hunter and Im kinda of confused with this...

ecspecially because it has 3 presets all of which reject different types of metal. The 1st preset is the lowest discrinmination which rejects iron and foil but then it says that gold will often fall into the iron/foil category on the I.D function. If thats true, why on earth would anyone want to reject that specific area of metals ? The 2nd and 3rd presets reject even more styles of metals.

I guess my best option is to go into preset mode 1 and then manually overide the reject on the foil so it will accept foil. But should I also accept iron ? Or does gold usually register in the foil I.D target range and not iron ? ..

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rumme said:
after reading this instruction manual 3 times thru...Sniff mode, blanker mode, discrimination mode, presets, sensitivity, ground balancing..etc..etc....

HOLY COMOLY.....

This is for a Time Ranger by Bounty Hunter and Im kinda of confused with this...

ecspecially because it has 3 presets all of which reject different types of metal. The 1st preset is the lowest discrinmination which rejects iron and foil but then it says that gold will often fall into the iron/foil category on the I.D function. If thats true, why on earth would anyone want to reject that specific area of metals ? The 2nd and 3rd presets reject even more styles of metals.

I guess my best option is to go into preset mode 1 and then manually overide the reject on the foil so it will accept foil. But should I also accept iron ? Or does gold usually register in the foil I.D target range and not iron ? ..

If you are at a park where everyone chews gum you may find not discriminating out foil will keep you from finding anything. Narrower ranges to notch, or half-discriminating can give you some control, as the foil may produce a less definate tone. Generally, foil breaks up in one direction if you "X" over it.

Recommend you dig EVERYTHING for the first few months to get a feel for what the detector is saying. That's true of any detector.

If you want iron - go for it. Dependson what and where you are looking. If you're on a battlefield site - by all means run all metal. If you're in a park or picnic pavilion, you may get sick of digging nails and rusty whatzits.

OP
OP
R

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
thanks for the reply...most of my hunting will be on my 2 acres of land , wooded areas and pasteurs located in Arkansas { Searcy area} so I guess accepting foil would be a good idea because I should run into alot of that...but iron may be a pain in the butt to accept it...but if gold falls under that category, I guess it has to also be accepted and dug for when it registers.

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
By using the disc/target & accept & reject buttons you can program your machine to not disc out anything .

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't give you Tips on the Timranger,
But I can give you tips on Manual Reading.

after usaing the detector for about a week,
Go back & read the Manual again.

After a Month of use Go back & read the Manual again.

After that it won't hurt to read it again any time
you have a question.

You'll find it is more easy to understand what they are saying once
you understand your Machine.

This goes for any Detector.
Especially if it's your First.

Good Luck & Happy Hunting !

JEFF

OP
OP
R

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
Okay...its coming slowly...

I just went out back and went into preset program 1 and manually accepted all metals. Then one I found a object beeping , I tapped the all metals/smart trac keypad once which hones in on where the item is located without having to move the coil and then you can hit the smart track keypad a 2nd time to really hone in on what you found so that your digs should be within 1 -2" of where the itne is actually located horizontally speaking { not vertically...the depth readout tells that function }...

VW.HILLBILLY...do you accept all metals including the 4 setting for iron and the 1 setting for foil ?

OP
OP
R

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
I admit that im not a " manual" type guy. Ecspecially when it comes to learning a bunch of new terms Ive never heard of. The manual for this Time Rnager looks to be pretty accurate but theres so many features, its kind of overwhelming at first.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Foil and gold fall within the same frequency range, not common iron.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'v read mine so many times I Feel like I'm talking
to myself when I read it.

OP
OP
R

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
Ant said:
Foil and gold fall within the same frequency range, not common iron.

thanks...so in your opinion, one could totally omit iron and be fairly confident that they wont miss gold becuase gold usually doesnt show up as iron..but it does show up as foil ?

On this Time Ranger, there are 4 levels of iron rejection...and you can reject all iron and accept foil ...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks...so in your opinion, one could totally omit iron and be fairly confident that they wont miss gold becuase gold usually doesnt show up as iron..but it does show up as foil ?

Around 90% of the gold rings will read near pull tab. White gold and small yellow rings will read in the foil area depending on what they are alloyed with. I've even found some rings that marked as Iron, but for some reason I dug them to find I was right. Check out the iron setting and see if it goes off on a bobby pin. If it does, turn up disc. enough to get a double bling and go hunt. A double bling could also be a coin on edge.

If all else fails, read my post on wrapping detectors around trees.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
When we correspond on line not all things are clear. My metal detector may work different than yours. If you're looking for gold and the machine you use can detect small pieces of gold you will need to dig foil, lead, copper or any alloy for that matter. If your machine can't detect small gold, which is what they have most of out there, don't worry about it. The metal detector I use is a detected gold machine. That means that it's designed to find gold nuggets, but doubles as a great gold jewelry and relic machine.

My machine can identify small bits of iron, larger pieces of common iron are hard to identify. The way I identify nails/bobby pins or similar shaped items that are not gold on my machine is by listening to the threshold tone. They will interrupt the threshold tone on my machine with two beeps when the coil passes over them long way.

Each machine has different tricks. I've read good reviews on the machine you have. The best thing to do is read the manual, the Reviews and the likes.

This is how I set up the GB-2 for hunting:
[*]Both toggle switches in the middle position (Normal)
[*]Sensitivity all the way up unless the machine won't balance but never below 8
[*]At this point the volume and threshold on the machine should be off
[*]I start with the volume all the way up on the earphones
[*]Now I turn the volume all the way up on the GB-2
[*]Then I turn the threshold on the machine up until I can barely hear a smooth tone (the tone should be as soft/low as you can get it but smooth)
[*]Now I turn down the headphones to a comfortable position (don't turn down the machine).
[*]Now I’m ready to balance the machine and start hunting
[*]After I start hunting and hear a solid target I check it out with the Iron Discrimination. If I get a positive response in ID mode I dig the target. Simple
After 3 years I have over 70 (over 4 ounces) gold finds and my silver coin count is going up by the week. It takes a long time to learn the sounds, but it pays off to keep with it. The GB-2 works better on scrapes, demolitions, parks, campsites and the like.
The only machine I’ve ever hunter with is the GB-2. I quit counting clad after the first 14 months it took to find enough to pay for my machine. I’ve sort of wavered away from parks and schools, but when I need a gold fix I hit the playgrounds.
This can help you too. Thanks goes to Mr. Jim McCollouh of whom I quoted this from:
Operating frequency DOES influence several detecting factors, notably "bias" toward target conductivity, sensitivity to soil mineralization, and sensitivity to target SIZE. SIMPLY put, the higher the operating frequency (higher: 50kHz is higher than 20 kHz) then the following characteristics apply: greater sensitivity to low conductivity targets, greater sensitivity to smaller targets, but, sadly, also FAR greater sensitivty to soil mineralization. The lower the operating frequency, the greater sensitivity to higher conductivity targets, reduced sensitivity to smaller tagrets, and enhanced penetration in soil mineralization. THUS: a detector operating at 5 kHz would penetrate mineralized soil WELL for silver coins, but would not be very sensitive to small targets, or those of lower conductivity, such as gold. A detector operating at 50 kHz would be great for small targets, gold targets, but might loose depth in highly mineralized ground. Hope this helps; HH jim

OP
OP
R

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
well Ive read thru the manual many times now and am confident I have down all the terminology and neccessary features.

the Time Ranger accurately read a nickle, penny, dime ,quarter and silver dollar....

my gold chain seemed to give it a lil problem in that it would register it as foil..and then iron...back and forth...I guess if I take out all iron, there is the possibility that some gold will be missed...but thats a chance Ill have to take becasue im definitely planning on discriminating out iron ..

the pinpoint feature on this Time Ranger is VERY ACCURATE....

it centers the object directly under the center coil...I doubt if I will need the smaller handheld pinpointer that came with this detector as a extra accessory...

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Manual! Get out their, turn that thing on and GO - worry about that manual some other time!

Happy Hunting / Night Stalker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread