Any tips for hunting old farmstead?

farmerboy856

Mar 14, 2007
wi
Detector(s) used
whites v3i ,mxt pro, idx pro garretts pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got permission to hunt an old farm that was destroyed in the late 50s by tornado. never been touched since! Or hunted! found it by accident with some friends a while back. i have tried hunting these places before but never had much luck. always found way to mush iorn and never any thing worth keeping. don't want to sound like a whiner, i have been having fun hunting for about 12 years now and found many nice coins and neat items! Just never had much luck with old farms and homesteads. i use a whites dfx and my girlfriend uses a whites mxt. the old barn still has the stalls all in it and the old milking machine is still hooked up in the milk house! there are no standing buildings or even any wood from the old buildings left just the cement and stone foundations. any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated! like best settings to use on the detectors how to guess where old clotheline would have been and so on! been doing this for a while but i still have a lot to learn! oh yeah i am new on here and would like to thank my partner for introducing me treasure net! thanks Chestercopperpot!

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Welcome Farmerboy. I was raised on a midwest farm also and suggestions that might help would be search where the people might have gathered when they had coins in their pockets. Around shade trees. Where children played. Where cars were parked. I think in your state most tornadoes traveled in a East to Westerly direction so it seems the debris would have ended up that direction from the house. If you have permission to recover aluminum and copper you could make afew bucks there also. Be sure to post with pics if you can and have a great adventure.

OP
OP
farmerboy856

farmerboy856

Mar 14, 2007
wi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you both for the excellant advice i will be posting pics of the site for sure as it is really kind of neat! makes the imagination run wild thinking what it must have looked like in the day! and hopefully i will be posting pics with some nice finds also! thanks again farmerboy856

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
As for a possible tip on clotheslines, it shouldn't be very far from the house. You might look for slight depressions in the ground where the poles used to be. Also since the summer winds usually blew from south to north, the line probably ran east to west to catch most of the breeze as well as to let the sun shine on the clothes. Just an educated assumption. ;)

OP
OP
farmerboy856

farmerboy856

Mar 14, 2007
wi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey thank you very much for the great tips i will be trying those out for sure! i don't know for sure when i will get out it is SNOWING right now an two weeks ago it was 80! i guess thats wi for yah! as soon as i can get some pics and as soon as i figure out how to post pics i will post some for everybody to see. i t would proably make it much easier to give pointers if you all had an idea of what the site looked like! thats all for now! HH!!

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
We got hit down in Baraboo, too. About 3-4" I hate snow.

Make sure to post any good finds, I've been thinking about trying to find old tornado paths and MD along them. Those things MUST suck up a lotta coins.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Figure out where the front of the house was. Concentrate more on between the front of the house and the road. There should be less iorn/trash in this area and more coins. I have found this to be true in the old farmhouses I have hunted.

For DFX:
Crank that Preamp up to 4, DC up to 40, AC up to 80, Jewelry and Beach program. Dig almost everything- especially deeper targets.

Bob

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Musing about Goldfishes hunting tornado debris trail. It is unbelievable the amount, size and weight of things that are thrown great distances by one. Our farm and many neighbors experienced one in North Mn in early 70s. Saw where a large barn was taken including every board, nail, and equipment and scattered over 40 acres with the nearest piece 1/4 mile from foundation. Your site, Farmerboy should be extra fun as any dimes, quarters, halfs and yes dollar coins will be silver. Late 50's also should also give you the opportunity to talk with people in the area with a first hand memory of that storm. Get outta the way snow, farmerboy got some diggin' to do!

OP
OP
farmerboy856

farmerboy856

Mar 14, 2007
wi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mirage, excellent tips for the dfx and areas to hunt everybody on here has been very helpful! if only i would have had you guys when i started!! i will be sure to try that and let you know how it turns out!
And Swede thank you too! actually the owner remembers going to auction right before the storm hit and he told me a lot about how the place used to lay! couldn't remember where the clothesline was! Can't wait for the snow to go and try this new place out!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also poke around on line see if you can find photos of the lay out of the buildings
dont want to waste to much time digging iron were the barn was....... ;)

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
EDDEKALB said:
also poke around on line see if you can find photos of the lay out of the buildings
dont want to waste to much time digging iron were the barn was....... ;)

Agree on the photos, old maps might be of some use, the county records may have useful info too.

Find where the chicken house was...this is where the wife would hide money.
My great grandparents always buried their savings in the chicken house and the barn. The livestock
would alert them to any possible thieves. The barn hiding spot was always at the base of the ladder going
up to the hay loft. If you can determine the layout of the barn, you might hit that specific area. Otherwise, as EDDEKALB said it is a waste of time.

OP
OP
farmerboy856

farmerboy856

Mar 14, 2007
wi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey those are some really good places to check i will make sure and check those place out to! i really appreciate all the tips and advice from everyone! it helps a lot! thanks again farmerboy856. and don't worry chester when i get out there in the afternoon after you are gone things should go pretty good as you should most of the nails and pull tabs gone leaving goodies behind for me! lol! let me know when you get a day that we can go hunting toether again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread