Anyone ever really dig a cellar hole?

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Im sure theres some here that have.I for one havent, but I have been considering it.I have hunted around many cellar holes and I when gaze into that stone lined depression filled with rocks, desbris, and hippie trash....I gotta wonder....whats in the bottom?...What if I removed every bit of post demolition material until what remained was the original dirt floor?What might I find?..a few things left in the cellar by the former resident?Maybe things that had fallen through cracks in the floor boards above?Maybe things that had fallen to the cellar if the house had burned?
I would love to hear any stories of actual cellar hole digs.Im sure it has the potential to be pretty cool...like an archealogical dig....or....maybe Im just nuts??.....Joe

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
I've dug out one in my younger days and the pile of junk that accumulates around the hole can get verrry high. Then I had hundreds of pieces of small rusty tin and an old non-discriminating whites BFO. I recovered an poolhall token. Like a good boy I reburied the trash and covered the hole by dark. Would I dig another one? Sure, why not, It would have been the ideal place for a large cache of valuables and probably screen for porceline and marbles too. If you pass one up you'll have dreams about what you missed.

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Jopher: Sounds like a great idea! Who knows what you may find! Just be careful, & wear heavy Shoes or Boots, & Gloves. Lots of Rusty Nails & sharp broken things around. Keep us informed with lots of Pics! 8)

HH Joe

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
When my brother was still in school, one of his teachers took the class to a cellar hole and they pulled everything out, documenting all the material as they went. He said they ended up pulling out about 4' of junk before they reached what they determined was the original floor. They separated the nails,brick,glass, and metals. They even managed to find a large cent.

Your discoveries and time involved in the excavation would depend on some key factors.

The age of the building(construction techniques & materials)
Is it a family dwelling? If yes then; Who lived there(wealthier or poorer)
A place of business? What kind of business? Did they use currency, or barter?

I would be interested if I knew that it was a garrison, a tavern, or a store. If I knew the cellar was from a prominent family (landowner or business owner), I would go for a family dwelling.

Dodad

Dec 8, 2006
Gore, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites Prizm IV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I never dug one but I took my wife metal detecting one time and she got a strong beep so she started to dig and I went my own way. About an hour and a half later I returned to see about a four by four by six foot hole with sand flying out of it. When I walked up I found my wife in a hole she could'nt get out of by herself only to finally find a metal five gallon bucket full of tar. It took us both about an hour to fill the hole back in. Needless to say I now set my wifes detector for her and tell her if she hasn't found it after twelve inches or so just bury it and move on. I have to give her cudos for determination. She found the can. This is a true story swear to God. I could'nt even see her head in that hole. I could'nt believe her tanasity. She kept saying its got to be treasure! Wish I had of taken a picture. I would have posted it here because no one ever believes me when I tell this story.

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Thanks to all for the replies and stories.
I have a few sites in mind.One of these days this spring Ill dive in and give it a go and Ill be sure to keep a photo journal.Who knows....it may change my HOLE angle on treasure hunting.More input please....joe

cuddles17981

Oct 3, 2005
Schuylkill County,PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garrett 250, Bounty Hunter
Dodad said:
I never dug one but I took my wife metal detecting one time and she got a strong beep so she started to dig and I went my own way. About an hour and a half later I returned to see about a four by four by six foot hole with sand flying out of it. When I walked up I found my wife in a hole she could'nt get out of by herself only to finally find a metal five gallon bucket full of tar. It took us both about an hour to fill the hole back in. Needless to say I now set my wifes detector for her and tell her if she hasn't found it after twelve inches or so just bury it and move on. I have to give her cudos for determination. She found the can. This is a true story swear to God. I could'nt even see her head in that hole. I could'nt believe her tanasity. She kept saying its got to be treasure! Wish I had of taken a picture. I would have posted it here because no one ever believes me when I tell this story.
I believe it,sounds like something I would do..,Heck I have the pioneer 202,digging is what I do..lol.. Yep,I would route around in a cellar hole...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread