Attention ! any/all metal detectorists who were hunting circa 1965-1975 !...

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have already posted my story in another thread but will add it here. Back in the late 50s, early 60s a friend and I would go to cleared lots in my hometown and pick up civil war bullets. We would take them down to the creek and see who could skip them the most times. We left the buttons and other stuff because it didn't skip good. My hometown was either a Confederate or Union camp for the duration of the war. I got my first detector when I got out of the Navy in 1973 but I detected with one of my brothers machines before then whenever I was home on leave. I never concentrated on coins but had a heck of a time finding civil war and earlier relics.
My younger brother paid all his bills for a year selling bullets at 50 cents each in the mid 70s.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
My girlfriend and I got into detecting back in 1968 with a kit built detectors we made in a high school electronics class. She was the best hunting partner I have ever had. Sadly she was killed by a drunk driver in 1973. I still miss her more than anything.

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind, silver was in general circulation back in those days. So finding silver was the same as finding clad today and you just spent it. Machines were heavy and cumbersome to handle with little to no discrimination. Today's basic machines could run loops around what we had then !

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Garrett BFO is much lighter than my Safari or any Minelab Explorer series detector. It does have a big aluminum box but it actually is well balanced and was comfortable to hunt with for many hours a day. If you think these machines were cumbersome and heavy you never used one. Silver was no longer issued after 1964 and EVERYBODY took it out of circulation since everybody knew it would soon be worth more than a clad coin. I don't know anybody who spent a silver coin after 1965, although I know some did it wasn't the norm. As for discrimination, yes, there was none. Is this a handicap? NO. The only absolutely POSITIVE ID anybody will ever get on a target is when it is out of the ground and in their hands. As I have maintained for years, and a proven fact, "he who digs the most holes finds the most good stuff". So you had to dig a lot, big deal. We cleaned ALL the junk and good stuff from the ground. Nowadays there are still many very experienced and astute hunters who have the most sophisticated modern machines yet they still hunt "wide open" no discrimination and dig most signals. They are the ones who get the most goodies.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started in 1975 at age 12
even then most of the schools and parks were hit a few times by older guys