How to hide things from a state of the art metal detector

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
One problem here.As long as the person who hid whatever it is theyre hiding is alive,and somebody knows that they have something hidden.It can be taken from you,them.As the bad guys in the movies say "we have ways of making you talk" :laughing7:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..You could always get a few Fake tombstones for Animals and have your own little pet cemetery,

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing that may work first your Cache,

then a Layer of Rusted Tin Cans a foot above

and then Thousands of Thumb Tacks or lead BB's a foot above that.

Or as already said , thick Concrete to make recovery Very loud & time consuming

as a Last resort, 1000 Slaves to dig a hole with Layers of wood every so often
and Magical Miners to dig Tunnels to the Oceans to create Boobie Traps
long before everyone dies & forgets what they are doing & why :tongue3:
Now you went and done it...got me thinking about the Money Pit again...I want to know why it was dug. :icon_scratch:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you hiding...cmon, you got to tell us.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you could always throw some of your trash finds several inches from what your trying to hide, and try to make them think its just a trash hit.

This one gets my vote. Dig a big pit. place your goods at the bottom. Throw a whole mess of old trash from an old bottle dump on top. Done.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lots of iron and aluminum scrap to mask the signal and broken glass to discourage digging.i would burn my garbage for a week our two being sure to throw in modern nails,screws, and aluminum cans and other metals. might as well break up and burn the glass also.dont know the size of what your burying but digging until the top of your container is down 2 feet is good enough.put stach in hole cover with small amount of clean dirt. next start filling hole with burned stuff mixed with dirt.pack it doem as you go ,adding enough cement to make this mix hard might be a good idea.as you reach the top of the hole start spreading the burned material over a wider and wider area until you have covered a spot MUCH larger than the origanl hole.finish up by replacing the grass/leaves/rocks so that it appears undisturbed ,and then take a jar of 1000 copper BB's and scatter them about the area.good luck

Hey now this makes me think that a cache buried under a fire pit wouldn't even get a second glance. :thumbsup:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't recommend burying coins, and expensive items in the dirt, the dirt can destroy them, you never want to forget where you buried them, also a state of the art detector can find a quarter at only 10" max, but if you have lots of metal (and I mean not a few quarters, I mean over a pound or two) you might have to dig 2', or more for maximum security (plus if you want to build a stucture it would be to much work) I recommend hiding whatever you have in the most unobvious/unexpected place in your house, such as hide silver coins in a little container placed in a potted plant, or put a larger object in a mattress (yes I know that is very cliche).

Last edited:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
as a Last resort, 1000 Slaves to dig a hole with Layers of wood every so often
and Magical Miners to dig Tunnels to the Oceans to create Boobie Traps
long before everyone dies & forgets what they are doing & why :tongue3:

Lol, also remember to place the Arch of The Covenant carefully at the bottom of the hole, along with coconut husks to make to archaeologists in the future think that they discovered some major mystery.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OK, what you want to do is make it 'SO' time consuming that they will get frustrated and give up.
You want to make them put in the time!
I could find it in a house with my Vibratector, If it didn't have plaster on metal lathe walls. That stuff is murder on detecting. What you want to do inside is hide it in a place that has metal like a fake hot water heater, or a secret compartment in the stove.

Now outside is easy. Just bury it 1 or 2 feet down in the center of your lawn. Now get one of those lime spreaders and load it up with iron filings and broadcast the whole lawn. No one can discriminate out that much iron plus it will mask it. Frank five star.png
111-1 profileblk.jpg

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope that is has not been discussed at length in the past, if so I apologize, and would
appreciate being directed to that thread.

I am coming here with a slightly different angle.... I want to learn how to best hide things from thieves
that may have a state of the art metal detector. Things such as silver coins, and firearms. In the ground and
perhaps even hidden in a structure.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Wrap the booty in kryptonite, not even Superman with a CTX3030 could find that crap. lmao

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, what you want to do is make it 'SO' time consuming that they will get frustrated and give up.
You want to make them put in the time!
I could find it in a house with my Vibratector, If it didn't have plaster on metal lathe walls. That stuff is murder on detecting. What you want to do inside is hide it in a place that has metal like a fake hot water heater, or a secret compartment in the stove.

Now outside is easy. Just bury it 1 or 2 feet down in the center of your lawn. Now get one of those lime spreaders and load it up with iron filings and broadcast the whole lawn. No one can discriminate out that much iron plus it will mask it. Frank View attachment 1067753
View attachment 1067754

Just don't turn of the stove with live ammo from your firearms! LOL

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have a septic tank that's a good spot. Just remember to remove it when the guy comes to pump the tank.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
If you really want to hide something from a metal detector,the answer is in plain sight.Instead of going down.you go up.:wink:

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiding stuff is easy if you are a Hoarder, I watch the TV show and when they cleaned out the Hoarders houses, they found a tax check once, and another time they even found a ladys bottom part of her false teeth. I would not want to be a hoarder though. We were out in the mountains once and this hillbilly had this trailer that looked rough on the outside and he took us in and he was almost done re-doing the interior and it looked great with hard wood floors and the walls had this stained oak trim and he showed us how they were secret hiding compartments, the oak trim would fold down and he had rifles and big stash places in the walls that would never know about, I still don't know why he showed me and my brother.

grantler

Jan 11, 2004
near munich
Detector(s) used
Goldpic,XP ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It`s funny ,we have a book about that matter .-)) Ok it is in german .But if anyone is interestet I can provide the Link .
They charge about 25 US $ They have Ebook also
grantler

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bury your goodies in a PVC pipe right next to and slightly under a water line. Someone mentioned under the foundation. You can use a post hole digger to dig in from the edge next to where your water main enters the house. An old trick only the oldest of the oldsters will remember is take a liberal amount of roofing nails and 1/2" pieces of solder or small strips of lead. spread them around the area till them under. One real interesting cache I saw was the guy had actually run a section of iron pipe off from his water pipe at a 90 then just layed sections end to end. If you swung a detector over it, it looks like a branch line. Was pretty clever and would've never know if the guy hadn't shown us. His only problem was remembering which section was the loaded section when he got on in years.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At my house, I can never find anything I'm looking for! Lol!
I think I have that book, How to hide anything.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Just don't turn of the stove with live ammo from your firearms! LOL
Actually I don't think a stove gets hot enough to set off ammo, and if it did, the cases just split open the projectiles don't blast out. Frank five star.png
hand print-2_edited-7.jpg

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I don't think a stove gets hot enough to set off ammo, and if it did, the cases just split open the projectiles don't blast out. Frank View attachment 1069142
View attachment 1069143
Tend to agree with you Frankn! Earlier this year we cleaned out a garage attic for a friend in Arizona and found numerous cases of ammo & reloading supplies. This stuff was put up there 21 plus years ago when her husband passed away. Not that scary you say? figure what the temps were up there when it was 113 outside. None of it looked worse for wear but most everything rubber or plastic up there looked like it had been close to a fire.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions