The Fatal Attraction of Lead

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For millennia lead has held a deep attraction for painters, builders, chemists and winemakers - but historically it's also done untold harm, especially to children. And while it's been banned in petrol, your car still contains several kilograms of it. So have we finally learned how to use lead safely?

Detectorists also find lots of the stuff over here in the UK ... this is a fascinating article from the BBC NEWS Magazine:

BBC News - The fatal attraction of lead

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was a kid I carried the lead pellets my air gun fired in my mouth. I wonder if 65 years later that's why I'm so dumb when it comes to figuring out this computer.

mavroskylos

Oct 15, 2014
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Bounty Hunter,Quick draw 2,
Garrette Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid I carried the lead pellets my air gun fired in my mouth. I wonder if 65 years later that's why I'm so dumb when it comes to figuring out this computer.

Me too, I wonder if I would have grown up to be a genius if I hadn't done that.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

..and how many times did you bite down on the lead sinker to crimp it on the fishing line....I did ..uh..EVERYTIME..lol

bayou bandit

Feb 9, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax,Whites 3900/D Pro series, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and cen- tec pinpointer (doing it on the cheap)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did the same thing and I still bite down on lead sinkers when bream fishing, maybe I could qualify for disability so I can have more detecting time.:laughing7:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Hay look at the good things lead has done. Meat on the table, the pleasure of knocking down a soda can at 100 yards, with every shot. Holding that bait down till the fish or crabs came to feast.
Hay, there is two sides to every story. Maybe biting that split shot made me say this, lol!
five star.png Frank
111-1 profileblk.jpg

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Years ago plumbers made pipe joint compound from white lead and linseed oil. People never knew the problem was in their pipes. The word plumber was derived from Latin word plumbo (sp) meaning lead as early roman pipes were made from it. That's all I know about plumbing except hot is on the left, payday's on Friday and don't bite your nails.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I did the same thing and I still bite down on lead sinkers when bream fishing, maybe I could qualify for disability so I can have more detecting time.:laughing7:

Yay, an excuse for handicap parking!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the lead pencils kids used to chew on. It's a wonder we survived! Stubborn I guess.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Years ago plumbers made pipe joint compound from white lead and linseed oil. People never knew the problem was in their pipes. The word plumber was derived from Latin word plumbo (sp) meaning lead as early roman pipes were made from it. That's all I know about plumbing except hot is on the left, payday's on Friday and don't bite your nails.

Hay, you left out the most important rule, sh it runs down hill. lol
Don't worry about the pencils, they contain graphite, not lead. This was a common misconception.
Frank five star.png

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo

Close. The Latin term for it was plumbum. That's where the "Pb" for lead on the periodic table came from, in case anyone was curious about it.

As for the chewing on lead sinkers and such, elemental lead has a hard time crossing the blood-brain barrier, and lead poisoning is much more of an issue for children than for adults. I'm not about to go and eat lead, and I wash my hands after handling lead, but I reload, I cast my own bullets, I'm exposed to lead occupationally, yadda yadda yadda, and my lead levels are checked annually as part of my job. If it's not a problem for me, it's probably not a problem for most other people either. I don't have a source to cite, but I live with this stuff and I'm no longer concerned about it. YMMV.

Hell, they used to can food in lead-soldered tins. Sailors ate that crap for months or years on end. Lead poisoning was the least of their concerns.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Romans used lead as a sweetener. Lead oxide mixed with vinegar makes lead acetate - a sweet tasting substance and not good at all for the body. That and honey were about the only sweeteners they had at the time.

I have consumed the occasional lead pellet in the grouse and rabbits I hunt and eat and it hasnt hurt me none. I'm pickle wrench in the dropsie flardpungle.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..and how many times did you bite down on the lead sinker to crimp it on the fishing line....I did ..uh..EVERYTIME..lol
I still do...when I get older I will know better...Im only 50.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Close. The Latin term for it was plumbum. That's where the "Pb" for lead on the periodic table came from, in case anyone was curious about it.

As for the chewing on lead sinkers and such, elemental lead has a hard time crossing the blood-brain barrier, and lead poisoning is much more of an issue for children than for adults. I'm not about to go and eat lead, and I wash my hands after handling lead, but I reload, I cast my own bullets, I'm exposed to lead occupationally, yadda yadda yadda, and my lead levels are checked annually as part of my job. If it's not a problem for me, it's probably not a problem for most other people either. I don't have a source to cite, but I live with this stuff and I'm no longer concerned about it. YMMV.

Hell, they used to can food in lead-soldered tins. Sailors ate that crap for months or years on end. Lead poisoning was the least of their concerns.
So, your avatar pic is not what happened to you from all that lead exposure? :laughing7:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

Shucks, I thought I had a reason for being so forgetful and computer illiterate. You have managed to blow all that away, and now I'm back to just being a dummy.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shucks, I thought I had a reason for being so forgetful and computer illiterate. You have managed to blow all that away, and now I'm back to just being a dummy.
Im with you...I need to blame it on something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread