Help with pinpointing site to dig

jenniemd

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I am relatively new to metal detecting. I have a Garrett AT Pro machine. I seem to be digging very large holes to find a penny for example...takes me awhile to find it. I do have a vulcan pinpointer which helps once I am in the vicinity, which most times I am not...so I dig and dig until I am in the vacinity and the pinpointer tells me it is there...Frustrating to say the least!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try sweeping north to south, then east to west. Target will be in center of both sweep lines.
The AT is a good machine. With a bit of practice, you'll do just fine.
Good luck
Peace

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Vulcan 360 can be a pain since it detects 360 degrees. what I do is start probing at the top of hole and slowly work my way down. when the pointer is sounding off really fast you are over the target. if the target is close to the surface (<> 3") I just point the pointer straight down and then move it back and forth until it is sounding off real fast. dig where it is pointing.
Takes a little practice but I now dig a hole less than 3 inches for most shallow coins.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I am at a loss as to why you are having trouble.. My Garretts Propointers work 360 degrees and both your PPr and the Garretts have proximinity. I say that yoou just need to get used to it. I love my Garretts with 360 degree side detection.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The problem is your detector has a DD coil. They are not good pinpointers. I use an old XLT and it pinpoints dead center. I can push a probe down in the center of my open coil and touch the target. Concentric coils are much better pinpointers. Just my experience.
This might help. Come in to the target with the side of your coil. Stop when you first hear it. mark the spot. Now come into the marked spot from 90 degrees over. Stop when you first hear the target. Mark the spot. These two spots will be the same or close. Your target is beneath the mark or between the marks. Frank five star.png
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mostly use the 5x8 DD and can pin point to a very small area by doing this.. When I recieve a good signal I wiggle the coil left and right quickly as I pull back and when the noise stops its right at the tip of the coil. Hope it helps, Good luck!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just need practice. When I first stared I laid a quarter or dime on the ground and would just swing over it to get the pin point center of my coil. I didnt have a pin point option on Bounty Hunter 202. Or you could just get a smaller coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions