If you assume your late model vehicle has a spare tire, Think again!

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've worked in body shops off and on over the years. It's one of the jobs I liked, but didn't really care for the dust and fumes! The last one I worked in was a few years back for a friend. The vehicles are getting harder and harder to straighten after a wreck, It's like jello! Then there's the laws too. So, it's all around crazy! That is funny though, a can of fix a flat and an air pump? lol
Nitric, I've been in this trade for 26 years, and my wife has been in it almost 30. The last 13 years we've been shop owners. The BS involved in fixing these newer cars is unreal. Not to mention the crappy non O.E. parts that most of the Ins. companies make us use on your brand new vehicle. Anyways, this is why we are selling out! Our last day is Oct. 31! Good luck to the new owners!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, My old Isuzu pickup and my Xplore MH both have crank down spares, but I do carry a professional plug kit, tools and air pump. I do get quite a bit back in the boonies chasing caches.
I too have worked in body shops. Worked with running lead, fiberglass and filler. Back in the old days, cars were built to survive, now they are built to crumble. Frank five star.png

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our F150 came with a spare and jack if it hadn't - no sale!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've never had a spare for my old pickup. Headed out to Florida several times and drove from California to maine with no spare. I just have never worried about it.

sent from a potato with gravy!!...

mnixon

Apr 2, 2010
Austin TX
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum, AT pro
In this age of I can call for help from anywhere , who needs a spare ... $400 for a tow, $ 200 for a tire from somebody ya don't trust ......spare tire = priceless

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this age of I can call for help from anywhere , who needs a spare ... $400 for a tow, $ 200 for a tire from somebody ya don't trust ......spare tire = priceless
Yep, That is correct. Up until 5 years ago we also had a tow service.We were on city,county and state law enforcement rotation. They set the min.rate at $175. and storage at $25 a day, and a million dollar on hook Ins. policy along with your regular policy. Diesel fuel,upkeep, and paying a full time driver who was on duty 24/7 was killing us so we sold our wrecker and rollback.Nowadays, a simple tow can cost $250 on up. I guess if you had AAA or some kind of roadside assistance, it would be a different story.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Someday I'll teach you guys on how to change a spare without a jack,also what to do if you dont have a spare and you get a flat out in the middle of no where:wink:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I have a full size tire on the back tailgate..

I was going to say, yeah, I just looked out the window and my full-sized spare is still bolted to the back of my Wrangler. It's been over a decade since I've had to change a flat, but I think I remember how to do it.

As for cars being destroyed in collisions, this is part of the design. When a car meets another object at speed, that energy has to go somewhere. Modern vehicles are designed to dissipate that energy by destroying themselves in order to spare the passengers from the worst of it. Earlier cars held up better, but the passengers certainly didn't. It's a tradeoff that I'm comfortable with.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I was going to say, yeah, I just looked out the window and my full-sized spare is still bolted to the back of my Wrangler. It's been over a decade since I've had to change a flat, but I think I remember how to do it.

As for cars being destroyed in collisions, this is part of the design. When a car meets another object at speed, that energy has to go somewhere. Modern vehicles are designed to dissipate that energy by destroying themselves in order to spare the passengers from the worst of it. Earlier cars held up better, but the passengers certainly didn't. It's a tradeoff that I'm comfortable with.
Yup, my spare on the back of my wrangler is still there as well. I just replaced the factory rims and tires with sweet rims and bigger tires...all five. I'm going to use the spare in the rotation as well.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Yup, my spare on the back of my wrangler is still there as well. I just replaced the factory rims and tires with sweet rims and bigger tires...all five. I'm going to use the spare in the rotation as well.

This is my first Jeep. As a condition for purchasing it, I made a promise to myself that aside from basic security (locking lugs and a lock for the hood, because I live in the ghetto), I'm going to refrain from any upgrades until I'm out of warranty. I want to make sure that I know what I need, and not just what I want. Thus, wheels will not replaced until I know that the current ones are inadequate, and tires will not be replaced until the current ones wear out. I've looked around and it's just too damned easy to blow a lot of money on really cool stuff with these things. As someone that enjoys blowing a lot of money on really cool stuff, I'm forcing myself to take a very conservative approach to this.

But man...I really, really, really want to get some spacers and a lift on this thing and put some monster tires on this thing. But I won't, at least for a few more years anyway. By then, I should know if I actually need them or not. For the "evergreen" state, there are remarkably few places to run an offroad vehicle. The state seems to think very poorly of them.

JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket, amirite? :)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got a RAV4 - Toyota puts a full size spare where you can see it and the bozo behind you has a 'po boy airbag in case his fails.

My wife's Nissan Juke has a full-size spare. Takes up 3/4 of the "trunk". ;-)

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
This is my first Jeep. As a condition for purchasing it, I made a promise to myself that aside from basic security (locking lugs and a lock for the hood, because I live in the ghetto), I'm going to refrain from any upgrades until I'm out of warranty. I want to make sure that I know what I need, and not just what I want. Thus, wheels will not replaced until I know that the current ones are inadequate, and tires will not be replaced until the current ones wear out. I've looked around and it's just too damned easy to blow a lot of money on really cool stuff with these things. As someone that enjoys blowing a lot of money on really cool stuff, I'm forcing myself to take a very conservative approach to this.

But man...I really, really, really want to get some spacers and a lift on this thing and put some monster tires on this thing. But I won't, at least for a few more years anyway. By then, I should know if I actually need them or not. For the "evergreen" state, there are remarkably few places to run an offroad vehicle. The state seems to think very poorly of them.

JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket, amirite? :)
Yup, you can spend lots of cash on these. Mines a 2010 and has 26,000 on her now I bought it new and I keep it in the garage every winter. Still looks new. I did a 1.75 spacer lift and 285's looks great and barely hurt the power. uploadfromtaptalk1414145642235.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread