Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. We are new to MDing and have a question regarding hunting private property. If someone gives you permission to hunt their land do you:

1. give them dibs on anything you find
2. show them but not offer them anything
3. split valuable items with them 50/50
4. make a verbal agreement beforehand on splitting spoils

I realize it may depend on how well you know them and some people may not care about what you find.

TIA for your help.
HH

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
4, 3 & 1, in that order.

It depends on how the initial approach goes. I tell them up front I'm a coin hunter and that any jewelry I'll give them first dibs on.

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
I carry a few wheat's that I have dug on previous outings. I first show them these and see how they react. If they decide they want them, I know not to show them any good finds. I offer to look for anything they tell me they have lost. Depending on the person, I sometimes give them some of my finds.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
I have given some of my finds to people, but I have yet to have a landowner actuall ask for or really want any of my digs. I got a barber half a couple of days ago, and the owner of the property congratulated me. He wants to see it if I have it with me, but has no interest in taking it.

beavis

Mar 11, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I hunted a property where the owner wanted everything of possible value. I did it anyway for the fun. I've had owners want nothing. Some just want to see what was there. The owner pretty much sets the standard at the start.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread