How do you find a seated liberty quarter?

RelicPrime113

Aug 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys,

Long time no see! Ever since ive found the seated liberty dime with my Teknetics delta 4000, I have been curious to know what a seated liberty quarter would come up as on the id as well as its tone and number value. Not quite sure how to figure it out but the dime did come up as a dime with a high tone. Unfortunately I don't remember the number reading. I've also been trying to figure out for Indian head penny's too and heard they come up as 5 cents on the delta 4000. is this true? :dontknow:

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have no clue as to your machine, but Indian heads do signal lower than a "normal" penny would. So yeah. Closer to the nickel range. I wouldn't worry so much about specific numbers.

-Swartzie

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can try laying a silver quarter down on the ground outside and flashing your metal detector over it to see what the ID and tone would be. I have a DFX and a silver dime or quarter makes a very sweet audible tone, I can tell without even looking at the ID. I have been in a slump and have not found silver since last spring, but my ears are waiting for what a call that sweet sound.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Many objects that have been in the ground for years and years, along with whatever else is in the soil, will keep a target from reporting accurately.
A silver quarter is a silver quarter. Seateds are the same exact size and content as a silver washington.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Folks; My curiosity question is : Why are Standing Liberty Quarters so dang hard to find in the first place ?? I have only found ONE in ELEVEN YEARS of searching and I'm out there almost daily literally. When they are placed on the Clubs Finds Table they almost always take first place in the 1900 to Present Category because we have 60 guys out there all over New England and they are almost never found or displayed and I'm in Boston to boot. What say you guys ?? PEACE:RONB

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
best way I know how to find seated quarters is to swing your coil over them & dig :thumbsup:

good Huntin '

for the record, by sound , this one could have been a dime.
it was very deep & very tiny signal

Picture 051.jpg Picture 056.jpg

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BARKER , I hope we're not derailing the OP's thread here - consider the fact that they were a short run series (1916-1930 ) At least you found one !

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Argentium; That was not my intent hence if so thren my apologies. I'll start a new thread ok. Sorry about that. PEACE:RONB

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all good ! I too have this one on my bucket list . ( one very hot coin when they're in EF. or AU condition )

OP
OP
RelicPrime113

RelicPrime113

Aug 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input! I know its not an easy question and I guess it varies on different metal detectors. Thankfully my parents had a seated liberty quarter and a Indian head penny in their coin collection. It was nice to actually hold them up close and personal for the first time. I ran them underneath the coil and the quarter came up as 25 to 50 cents on the id. As for the Indian head, it came up as zinc. Guess this solves the answer lol and hope it helps others to find one.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've only found two seateds in four years, dime and quarter. Quarter was along side an old ballfield, and was scorched by fire years ago. I also dug Barbers, IH's and dozens of other old coins there, most were shallow. Virgin site? Doubt it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions