beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This evening I found a cross that came out of the hole with a nice silver shine to it. I located a stamp on the back that says .925 and before that what appear to be two letters. However, even under magnification neither my wife or I could clearly tell what the letters are with any certainty. Our best guess is yp or tp. So I am wondering if the cross is plated with sterling silver? I know this is the place for accurate answers. Thanks in advance for your knowledge and willingness to share.

Here are a couple photos with the second one showing the mark on the back side.

001.JPG
002.JPG

Last edited:

DigginDownUnder

May 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure, but I have found a few silver plated items that had the letters EP (electro plate I believe)

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think its plated, I have a ring that has TP-925 Mex on it..I think its a makers mark. I know my ring is for sure silver

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
This evening I found a cross that came out of the hole with a nice silver shine to it. I located a stamp on the back that says .925 and before that what appear to be two letters. However, even under magnification neither my wife or I could clearly tell what the letters are with any certainty. Our best guess is yp or tp. So I am wondering if the cross is plated with sterling silver? I know this is the place for accurate answers. Thanks in advance for your knowledge and willingness to share.

Not exactly sure what you are asking here...

I think what you are trying to determine is whether or not the cross you found is plated or solid sterling silver?

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not exactly sure what you are asking here...

I think what you are trying to determine is whether or not the cross you found is plated or solid sterling silver?

Yes, Ben, that is exactly what I am trying to determine. I am for the most part a coin hunter and am out of my element with jewelry as I find there are so many various ways they can be marked. I'm hoping now that I've been able to add a couple photos someone might recognize the mark on the back and be able to point me in the right direction. Either toss it in the junk jewelry box or add it to the stuff I'm collecting for a display case.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Add it to the stuff you're collecting for display.

It's marked 925.
If it were plate, you'd see the base metal below the silver plate on the corners from wear.

Sweet cross! HH ALL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread