Teknetics T2 Metal Detector

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
The Time Ranger can be bought new for $379....and thats the newest model and it comes with many accessorys if you purchase it from Kellyco. Many places are getting over $400 fior this detector but if you tell kellyco to prcie match, they will do it .

I was reading a forum the other day and theres a guy who is very well known in the metal detctiing hobby. He goes by the name " pineapple" and supposedly one of his favortie detectors is the Time Ranger...and this guy has a huge cache of finds...

it is a bit complex at first , eczspecially if one is a newbie but Ive had mine for 4 days now and finanly understand all the jargin and functions. It also has manual and automatic ground balanicing features.....

for the $$$ it seems to offer alot and it has a 5 year warranty...not to shabby

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
it seems many people dont like Bounty Hunterr but that may be because bounty hunter also offers many low grade entry level detectors and these may have given some people a bad expirience in the past. The time ranger is this comapnys most advanced adn accurate model so comparing the Tiem ranger to the lower end bounty hunter units may not be a fair comparison..

OP
OP
M

Metal_Head_Girl

Greenie
Apr 12, 2007
rumme said:
it seems many people dont like Bounty Hunterr but that may be because bounty hunter also offers many low grade entry level detectors and these may have given some people a bad expirience in the past. The time ranger is this comapnys most advanced adn accurate model so comparing the Tiem ranger to the lower end bounty hunter units may not be a fair comparison..

I know rumme.But people should remember that maybe close to 80 percent started off with a BH and they should thank them for getting them started into such a great hobby .My first was a tracker IV ! ;D

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
My thinking is if your green at detecting, alot of the functions of the TR is going to be lost, and you will more than likely get frustrated and give up.
I think the TR is a great machine, but I also think that I'm a seasoned detectorist and I'm scared of the monster.
I mean, look at the monster! :D
Its got more readouts and buttons than my car! I've got an Explorer and I am happy with it... Its at the verge of too much to learn to understand for me.
Again, I fully support BH, and I would recommend getting a lower model to start with before the TR, unless you want to invest the time into learning it. Again, don't get frustrated with it, it will take time and lots of it to get comfortable and proficent with it.

Attachments

• 378c73479a2911d4_2.jpg
    378c73479a2911d4_2.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 240

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Metal_Head_Girl said:
thompy said:
, and if you live near me, do not get one, there junk

LOL which one the Time Ranger Metal or the Teknetics T2 ? ;D

I would tell you to go with the T2 or the F75 over the TR, but again, thats my opinion. Its not a diss on BH, because they are all owned by First Texas anyway.

OP
OP
M

Metal_Head_Girl

Greenie
Apr 12, 2007
cryptodave said:
Metal_Head_Girl said:
thompy said:
, and if you live near me, do not get one, there junk

LOL which one the Time Ranger Metal or the Teknetics T2 ? ;D

I would tell you to go with the T2 or the F75 over the TR, but again, thats my opinion. Its not a diss on BH, because they are all owned by First Texas anyway.

Its not for me i am getting the t2 ! Its my friend who is interested if you read the post above.She has a lower income.

OP
OP
M

Metal_Head_Girl

Greenie
Apr 12, 2007
Theres a question....why do people think you are a newbie (Greenie) to MDing just because you are new to this site ?? I am NOT a newbie............ :o :D

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
cryptodave said:
My thinking is if your green at detecting, alot of the functions of the TR is going to be lost, and you will more than likely get frustrated and give up.
I think the TR is a great machine, but I also think that I'm a seasoned detectorist and I'm scared of the monster.
I mean, look at the monster! :D
Its got more readouts and buttons than my car! I've got an Explorer and I am happy with it... Its at the verge of too much to learn to understand for me.
Again, I fully support BH, and I would recommend getting a lower model to start with before the TR, unless you want to invest the time into learning it. Again, don't get frustrated with it, it will take time and lots of it to get comfortable and proficent with it.

you make a great point...and this is what scared me at 1st about the TIME RANGER......

but I am a total newbie and after reading the manual several times in the last 4 days...I think I got all the terminology down and the functions....if I learned this qucikly...just about anyone can becuase I despise instruction manuals... ;D ;D...

now the key is to get some decent weather so I can spend some time working with it out in the field...and learning all the beeps and sounds and what they all mean...

as of right now...it just sounds like a broken R2D2 robot from star wars :}

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
pinpointing seems to be VERY accurate...and the detector actually offers 2 levels of pinpointing by hitting 1 button 2 times in a row. Every test Ive done with it, has proved that the pinpointer is accuarte and pinpoints the object directly in the center area of the inner , smaller coil. I seriously doubt I will be using the extra V4 handheld pinpointer that came with my unit as an xtra accessory.

It also seems to register deep targets....today in my backyard I was getting readings at 10" for normal clad coins

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Metal_Head_Girl said:
cryptodave said:
TonyinCT said:
The Time Ranger is not a bad detector but I feel there are better ones for the money. ::)

I agree with Tony. I absolutely support BH, but for the price of a TR you can spend $50 more and can get something like the Minelab Xterra 50 or Minelab Musketeer, or if you don'twant to spend more you can get a Garrett GTAx 550.

Yes but do those have the features that the Time Ranger has ? Like Sniff and blanker ?

The X-terra 50 has a reject (or accept) feature that will do he same as Sniff (rejecting all but a narrow notch) or blanker (accepting all but a narrow notch), or multiple such notches - so it is better in that respect. Though, I can't think of a single instance when I wanted to find only items in a narrow notch??

The Musketeer has as many noises as the Time Ranger has display features, so you will learn to hear as much information without trying to read that cluttered faceplate. "Looks like foil" becomes "sounds like foil".

There is also the trap of believing that blanking/notching/rejecting pulltabs or aluminum bottlecaps will still accept gold rings that have a similar conductivity. Detectors don't know one metal from another (except iron vs. non-iron). They simply know how conductive it is in relation to the surrounding soil. When you reject specific trash items you reject a certain percentage of good targets along with them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread