Teknetics T2 Metal Detector

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Yes it is. It has been highly rated over at the Geotech forum. I have never owned one but just read the reviews on the Geotech forum. There is a lot of information there about the T2 and F75. If you are a considering high end Fisher you might consider the new F75 -more expensive but if you are going high end- go all the way.

Geotech forum posts
http://members5.boardhost.com/MetalDetecting/index.html
http://members5.boardhost.com/MetalDetecting/msg/1175833413.html

Ground tests(Foreign) of various detectors
http://www.thunting.com/geotech/forums/showthread.php?t=12906

George

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
This is a great detector. Like any detector it has good and bad points but it is overall a great detector. The F75 is basically an upgrade to it. If you need any more info I;d be glad to help.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
TonyinCT said:
This is a great detector. Like any detector it has good and bad points but it is overall a great detector. The F75 is basically an upgrade to it. If you need any more info I;d be glad to help.

Just like Tony said. I would recommend getting the F75 just based on some of the improvements in design.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
It is a good machine, the learning curve takes a little time but well worth the time.
It has features that allow it to be a coinshooter and relic hunter. Pinpointing will easily
get down to at or less than 2". Around other detectors it gets a little unstable. There is a
software version upgrade for the older models (from ver 5 to ver 6). It is very sensitive
for the soils around here, it'll hit on small nails (brad size) and not register on the fe scale.
various tones - the 3b on my ver 5 machine id's those screwcaps very accurately

Pros - lightweight & well balanced, AA batteries, easy LCD screen to see, DD coil, fastgrab ground balance
easy on screen menu to navigate, diff tones that are distinct
Cons - no settings memory after you shut it off, intereference with certain electrical appliances (sensitivity)
battery consumption in all metal is high (use rechargbles)

Overall, if you want a versatile machine for coins and relics this one fits the bill. (my opinion) With rechargable batteries it is no slouch. Out of the box you have to spend time working with the machine and learn those little quirks, after less than 4 hours I had a good understanding of what it was telling me.

As Tony said the F75 is an upgrade and I am waiting to see some user field results. If the F75 can beat the T2 I very well may have a T2 for sale.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i believe the "newer"one's now have an improved software package
so might be a better bet to sit tight see if they throw a "improvement" package for the
F75
maybe go for a newer T2 serial numbers after the upgrading

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
By Eagle77:
Cons - no settings memory after you shut it off, intereference with certain electrical appliances (sensitivity) battery consumption in all metal is high (use rechargbles)

One thing upgraded I know is the ability to hold settings on the F75. The sensitivity will be an issue with just about any detector. My Explorer hates electric fences and getting too close to power lines.
Don't know anything about the battery consumption

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
cryptodave said:
By Eagle77:
Cons - no settings memory after you shut it off, intereference with certain electrical appliances (sensitivity) battery consumption in all metal is high (use rechargbles)

One thing upgraded I know is the ability to hold settings on the F75. The sensitivity will be an issue with just about any detector. My Explorer hates electric fences and getting too close to power lines.
Don't know anything about the battery consumption

Power lines aren't a problem for me. Grain elevators running their drying fans; even 300 yards away will totally make MD'ing worthless. Electric fences cause a little havoc so I keep 20 yards away and no problems.

I keep wishing (yeah I know, wish in one hand....) that they will do another software upgrade for the T2 after they get the bugs outta the F75. Doubtful, but one can wish ;D

OP
OP
M

Metal_Head_Girl

Greenie
Apr 12, 2007
Thanks for the info all. Now a friend of mine is thinking about getting a BH Time Ranger.Is this machine any good ? How does she know if the model she is getting is the newest most up to date one ? Does the new take 9 volts or c batteries ??
I can't seem to search on this site ,says i have to be a member ....... >:(

oh and what is the Radio Shack twin for the Time Ranger ??

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
TonyinCT said:
The Time Ranger is not a bad detector but I feel there are better ones for the money. ::)

I agree with Tony. I absolutely support BH, but for the price of a TR you can spend $50 more and can get something like the Minelab Xterra 50 or Minelab Musketeer, or if you don'twant to spend more you can get a Garrett GTAx 550.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i love mine, light , well balanced, can swing it all day, deep seeking, easy on batteries, Ive had less electrical interference than on my QXT pro, quite stable, kind of noisy but thats because they are so sensitive, haven't tryed it in heavy iron yet, can be swept fast or slow, and if you live near me, do not get one, there junk (T-2).

OP
OP
M

Metal_Head_Girl

Greenie
Apr 12, 2007
cryptodave said:
TonyinCT said:
The Time Ranger is not a bad detector but I feel there are better ones for the money. ::)

I agree with Tony. I absolutely support BH, but for the price of a TR you can spend $50 more and can get something like the Minelab Xterra 50 or Minelab Musketeer, or if you don'twant to spend more you can get a Garrett GTAx 550.

Yes but do those have the features that the Time Ranger has ? Like Sniff and blanker ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread