Why are Standing Liberty Quarters so hard to find ???

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Folks; My curiosity question is : Why are Standing Liberty Quarters so dang hard to find in the first place ?? I have only found ONE in ELEVEN YEARS of searching and I'm out there almost daily literally. When they are placed on the Clubs Finds Table they almost always take first place in the 1900 to Present Category because we have 60 guys out there all over New England and they are almost never found or displayed and I'm in Boston to boot. What say you guys ?? PEACE:RONB :dontknow:

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only produced from 1916 to 1930, 14 years, is the main reason in my opinion, just not that many produced and as stated above, were hung onto pretty tight. Plus people in the post war years had started saving OLD silver long before 1964 and most of those savings got melted when the Hunt brothers tried to corner the market on silver.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not many Produced, and they wore quickly, Im sure many were melted was they were culled

Same with Franklin Halves...not as many getting dug as Walkers

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My standing liberty Quarter Totals are very Low also.

I've found more Waking liberty Halfs

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with what others have said. Silver quarters are also very easy to cherry pick with any detector. 40+ years of metal detecting, and there is a good chance at some point somebody went over the area you are hunting and plucked out the easy silver long ago.

I have only found 1 SLQ. It is well worn and dateless and was sandwiched next to a dateless buffalo nickel, and over 6" deep.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I've been lucky. In a little less than two years of steady detecting I've found 2 SLQs, but they were both undated and one Franklin half. Buffalo nickels and V nickels elude me. I dig every nickel signal and have only found two Buffalo's and one V nick.

I have only found 8 Barber coins during this time, 6 dimes and 2 quarters. I would like my numbers to be higher, and I have only found one seated dime.

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live 45 mins north of boston and have found 5 standing libs in two yrs . One of the libs is 1917 VG condition and I w as offered 80 dollars for it . The thing is though they ring up weird on my white's M6 they jump with every swipe from 1c-10c to 50c and has really no consistency

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I've been lucky. In a little less than two years of steady detecting I've found 2 SLQs, but they were both undated and one Franklin half. Buffalo nickels and V nickels elude me. I dig every nickel signal and have only found two Buffalo's and one V nick.

I have only found 8 Barber coins during this time, 6 dimes and 2 quarters. I would like my numbers to be higher, and I have only found one seated dime.

whats crazy is I found 4 barber quarters before I ever found my first barber dime..and like Jeff said..I've found way more walkers then I have SlQ

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found Barbers and and GW's but no SLQ....

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
When I think about all the SLQ's that passed thru my hands I just want to cry. I was a paperboy back in the early 1960's in the Washington DC area. In order for someone to subscribe to the paper, it cost them $1.60 per month. When I went to collect the bills, I almost always got a one dollar bill (many were silver certificates) , two quarters and a dime from nearly every customer. (I know, it's weird to think how often people paid in exact change in those days.) Anyway, I received so many SLQ's as part of the bill payments that I thought they were a "normal" part of everybody's change. (And SLQ's were ~30 years old by this time.) My family was not into coin collecting, so I let them go back into circulation as a payment for various things. If I had only saved one roll of SLQ's per month! :(

Last edited:

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
HI Folks; My curiosity question is : Why are Standing Liberty Quarters so dang hard to find in the first place ?? I have only found ONE in ELEVEN YEARS of searching and I'm out there almost daily literally. When they are placed on the Clubs Finds Table they almost always take first place in the 1900 to Present Category because we have 60 guys out there all over New England and they are almost never found or displayed and I'm in Boston to boot. What say you guys ?? PEACE:RONB :dontknow:

Even in the "OLD" days +50 years SLQs were not that common. After a day detecting you might come back with a pocket full of silver but only one or two SLQs. As stated already there just wasn't that many made.:tongue3::tongue3:

George

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first and only SLQ last year, here in western Canada. Of course I dinged the eagle with my shovel. I didn't know whether to laugh, cry, or bang my head on a tree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread