I need help on getting a metal detector!

Aug 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I am currently new to the site and looking to get a metal detector. I don't want to break the bank on buying one in case i find out later on that metal detecting might not be the new hobby for me. I want to get a good metal detector that can be reliable and is quality so I can get good readings and don't out on anything if it happens to come by. I know, i know, all good metal detectors are pretty expensive, but if there is any chance that you can find a decent one for a beginner?

Thanks!

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not what I ended up with, but I kinda wish I would have got a used Bounty Hunter Tracker IV of CL or ebay. They are pretty basic, but not a bad unit.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hello,

I am currently new to the site and looking to get a metal detector. I don't want to break the bank on buying one in case i find out later on that metal detecting might not be the new hobby for me. I want to get a good metal detector that can be reliable and is quality so I can get good readings and don't out on anything if it happens to come by. I know, i know, all good metal detectors are pretty expensive, but if there is any chance that you can find a decent one for a beginner?

Thanks!

It helps to know about how much you want to spend and what kind of detecting you plan to do.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure of your budget, but I suggest a dectector with a digital display and multiple sounds.
You will also need a quality pinpointer.
Good luck
Peace

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher F2 is a great starter machine. Simple yet effective. Can get them used for under $200.

F2.jpg

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Fisher F2 is a great starter machine. Simple yet effective. Can get them used for under $200.

View attachment 1072537

I got mine new for $210, they are pretty affordable, yet good. They go pretty deep, I have a few 1700's colonial buttons that were found with it. I now use a Teknetics T2 SE.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
just don't buy a coinmaster...total junk, bought one for the wifey..sits in the closet now.
I'd take Sandman's advice..he really knows his stuff. getting her the detector he suggested, along with a xterra 705 with a wonderful orange thing attached..( secretly for me to play with )...thanks Longhair!

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread