whats the point

fusion

Greenie
Apr 10, 2007
could somebody tell me whats the point in trying to find the old, when we realy can,t understand the new.is it a mad desire to look back rather then forward. maybe they found something that we lost. whatever it may be , i will carry on searching hoping to find gold, gold , and more gold, but i guess i am going to have to live with the bottel tops :-\

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
fusion said:
could somebody tell me whats the point in trying to find the old, when we realy can,t understand the new.is it a mad desire to look back rather then forward. maybe they found something that we lost. whatever it may be , i will carry on searching hoping to find gold, gold , and more gold, but i guess i am going to have to live with the bottel tops :-\

I'm not real sure what direction your going in there... but...

I don't look for gold, I look for relics. I have my reasons and don't care what another thinks of those reasons. I like to look back through the pieces I dig but have no wish to GO back and experience any of it.

The point is personal to each of us.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for me an example would be i found a half dime a few weeks back from 1853
my oldest coin to date it was dug in a cornfeild
its been sitting in that spot waiting for me to find it for 154 years!!!!!!
its corroded/tarnished to hell BUT as far as astetic looks its shite
it has no real intrinsic value but to me its priceless
as a matter of fact today i began to polish it up (with silver polish)
and to my surprise it cleaned up so well
it looks as if it was dropped the day it was minted
i have YET to find a newer coin (barber merc rosie) with this much detail(sill intact after 153 years)
i will post a picture when i finish the observe the detail is unreal
its about the unexpected ;)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I search for old coins because they interest me, not for any other value. There is a challenge associated with the finding of them and I enjoy the hunt. Clad is actually more value to me because I spend that. The mysteries of digging whatzits and jewelry is fun, but I don't cash in on it. I have a box of gold and silver (and lots of cheap "tat" baubles) that I have dug that will eventually be buried for some future "treasure hunter" to post here (hopefully after I'm long gone).

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your trying to say that you wonder what's the point to hunting if all your finding is "bottle caps" for instance. Your stilling thinking because the detector finds money, it has to find more valuable things to keep you interested. Your not finding any thing old yet and haven't learned it's about the hunt and not the finding.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
The real point is found at the bottom of everyone of my posts. What alot of people miss when searching for "treasure" but finding old artifacts is that connection you can get with the last human to have touched it ! It's almost like what Jesus was talking about when He said the eyes are the windows to the soul. I pick it up and clench the item in my hands, close my eyes and try to envision what happened. Was it dropped, thrown, stolen, or just plain lost. By who, when, why, how etc...
Connection with the past certainly dosen't mean a deep seated desire to relive it nor does it Ignore the future, but rather better prepares us for it.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I look for Gold. The places I find that are the most productive are demo's and playgrounds (anywhere the soil have been scraped or disturbed), sometimes other places.

If you want to find Gold, get a machine that's designed to find it. With a gold machine you can identify iron and pass it up and consintrate on Gold. There's a lot of Gold out there, but you have to work for it. If it was easy, I would have it all. The first thing you need is a Gold machine that will give you an edge.

HH

Bodyguard

Mar 11, 2007
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
BH Sharpshooter II
Sandman... I almost agree with you. I think it really is the finding that gives me the thrill. Not "getting" but finding. In another post I mentioned the lyrics of a song "It isn't the gold that I'm wanting, so much as just finding the gold."
I'm still very new to this, still learning my machine, but I gotten quite a few thrills when I found an old spoon, and a beat up card.
Maybe I just happen to consider "hunting" walking around with the machine, and "finding" when the machine goes beep beep. I don't care what I'm finding at this point; Still trying to learn the machine. But I am having blast.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
The last time I posted my treasure I had this much, it took three years to get it. I think the picture shows about 60 gold finds, I have at least 10 more since then. Most detectors won't even detect gold as small as the chains and earrings in my treasure stash.

Gold rings that are big enough can be detected by most any detectors. Compared to Silver, Gold is considered to be a lower conductor of electric. Silver is considered to be one of the highest conductors of electric. That's a huge difference between a machine designed to find Gold, and one not.
HH

Attachments

• My Treasure.JPG
    My Treasure.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 244
  • My Treasure.JPG
    My Treasure.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 238

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WNYHobo said:
It's almost like what Jesus was talking about when He said the eyes are the windows to the soul.

Good quote, but it's not from the Bible. The poet William Blake (1757-1827) gets the credit, though the Egyptian's Eye of Horus and various Eastern religions hold the same, or similar, views in the eyes (n'yuk, n'yuk).

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I refer to the sport as Ground Fishing. To me it is just like fishing. You can't see under the water and you really don't know what you are going to catch. Good fish to eat? Big fish? You get more bites than fish. If you have to throw all the fish back, you still had fun. Right? So for me, it is the not knowing what the "beep" is that makes it fun. Is it a gold ring or a bottle cap? Doesn't matter. I found it and then I find out what it is. I don't care who you are or how long you have been doing this, when you get a real sweet signal on a Caribbean beach, pirate gold goes through your head. And it is possible that that is what it is. Maybe a whole chest full. When you get that amazing signal in the backyard of a 19th century house, your mind considers that it might be the savings account buried in the Mason jar. It is an adrenaline rush you can't get anywhere else. And THAT'S THE POINT.

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe
Well that's my first time to see that picture ANT, and holy cow. Nice treasure chest.
Hey fusion, for me it's coins. I'd like to find old ones because they interest me. I have a curiosity about all my finds. I try to imagine the story behind each find. It usually begins with "How in the crap did THIS get HERE?"
Like has been said in other replies, everyone has their own reason. You may not have found yours yet....but you will.

Ima Swinger

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Charlie P. (NY) said:
WNYHobo said:
It's almost like what Jesus was talking about when He said the eyes are the windows to the soul.

Good quote, but it's not from the Bible. The poet William Blake (1757-1827) gets the credit, though the Egyptian's Eye of Horus and various Eastern religions hold the same, or similar, views in the eyes (n'yuk, n'yuk).
Your right Charlie, I was paraphrasing what my understandings are of Jesus's statements' in Matthew 6:22, Luke 11:34 meant. But since this isn't the religion board and not wanting a debate I thought I'd simplify the statement. Was that wrong ? Don't worry I've tightened the spike strap on my leg and will commence with the self flogging straight way. ;D ;D ;D

T

treasurejack

fusion said:

Research, research, and more research...it might equal more more then bottle caps?

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[size=14[font=papyrus]Great picture Ant ---> THAT's the reason I hunt! You never know what the next hole will bring....

Night Stalker[/font]pt][/size]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread