Detectors and Gold.

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I broke down and picked up a .1 gram gold sample to work with using the detectors for gold.

This last weekend, Me and an another detectorist had the chance to try it out. My MXT would barely make a sound, even when right on top of the gold. My old Gold bug (old model) did sound off just a bit, but it was a sound I probably not recognize as a hit, even when I was right on top of the gold. I was a bit surprised at that.

The other guy had two detectors one was the GB II it did sound off loud and clear onthe gold, but you had to be right on the gold. The other detector, I didn't even recognize would not even beep while over the gold. Is this normal for these machines to not really see the gold? or were we doing something incorrect? I tried all sorts of adjustments, but nothing on my GB or MXT made any changes. :dontknow:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my limited experience, your results are normal on such small, (.1 gram) gold. High end P.I. machines will locate small gold. Even high end "hobby" detectors have a hard time locating multiple gram gold chains?
Good luck
Peace

OP
OP
D

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
So I really am looking for "Nuggets" not pickers, like you see in the videos and adverts? No wonder I never found anything.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.1 grammers are pretty difficult to hit even for the most experienced detectorists using high end machines. The trick is you have to go real slow and pay attention. PI's do a pretty good job and Gold bugs with small coils in moderate mineralization can be killer~ but you have to go slow and overlap you sweeps efficiently because those little buggers tend to only hit the sweet spot.
What coil are you trying to use? Settings?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread