Studying to hunt treasure

geotracker

Greenie
Apr 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys! I'm attending school in the fall to study GIS. I plan on living in my van while attending college. I'm gonna buy a detector so that I can comb the beach and mountains there. Do any of you recommend classes that may help me like learning the soils and such? I know it can be self taught but my school is free because of my service. I decided I want to study something I would enjoy and can use as a hobby with all of the current job ops available for the degree. GIS I just want your rants and raves and opinions. Looking to be apart of this community more in the future.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, NY. :occasion14:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet. I think a geology class/classes would be a great help, nature still has hidden treasures for those that know what they are looking for.

TSCOM

Oct 13, 2014
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've taken a few geology classes and it's mostly about plates and rock not soil. Maybe physical geography or agriculture classes would better.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Treasure hunting" is an extremely broad subject and it is likely to cost you far more then it will ever return. Having said this, the good news is that the educational resources are even broader then the entire scope of the hobby. I think first and foremost you need to isolate a few areas of personal interest to pursue and then start focusing your efforts there.

OP
OP
geotracker

geotracker

Greenie
Apr 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks folks! Yeh Geographic Information Systems. It will have a lot to do with soils but mapping is what I want to focus on. You can do anything from working for forestry to Archeologists. It offers a lot of options. I think first I'll start with a detector on the beaches here in Cali... Just combing an marking and mapping here I've searched... Idk seems like a cool hobby for now. From what I understand there's a bit of Gold out west too.... Lots of options.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think that studying Archeology and Anthropology would go hand-in-hand with treasure hunting. Hey what do I know - I'm a life-long machinist with a BS in Marketing. :icon_scratch:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No matter what field you go into it never hurts to have math. That shows you can think.

Also, later on, when you do the math you'll see that a field that opens to a career with benefits and steady income probably pays better than treasure hunting. ;-)

Most of the big name treasure finders had a fortune to invest or a career to give their investors confidence before they struck it big.

And maybe a law degree would help so you can keep what you find. Look at what happened to the man who discovered the U.S.S. South America and a fortune in gold (Ship of Gold is a great read about the original find, by the way).

Treasure hunter who found 'Ship of Gold' now sought by US Marshals | Fox News

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
oceanography. it goes over wave action an a few other things. ...history classes too...

Hey guys! I'm attending school in the fall to study GIS. I plan on living in my van while attending college. I'm gonna buy a detector so that I can comb the beach and mountains there. Do any of you recommend classes that may help me like learning the soils and such? I know it can be self taught but my school is free because of my service. I decided I want to study something I would enjoy and can use as a hobby with all of the current job ops available for the degree. GIS I just want your rants and raves and opinions. Looking to be apart of this community more in the future.

OP
OP
geotracker

geotracker

Greenie
Apr 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after the Navy i was a commercial diver in the Gulf of Mexico for a little over a year. I then travelled to australia as a missionary... haha I know i can use my diving experience for underwater treasure hunting but i know that takes a lot more work. I t will have to be something that grows with time and yes history is important. Im looking at getting a nexus detector... but what about water detectors any opinions?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions