does it really matter which detector you use if....

danec71

Oct 14, 2014
washington
Detector(s) used
At gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it really matter what detector you use if you dig everything anyway.right now I have a minelab sd 2200.it has a discrimination although probay not the best.its mainly for gold hunting, I get that.what im wondering is if this will work fine for me if im going to dig everything anyway.should I maybe think about trading this thing for something that is a good all around machine.I need this thing for gold hunting but if there is something that would work good for everything I might be willing to give this detector up.I cant really afford to go out and buy another detector right now so any suggestions would be great.thanks

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging everything might sound good in theory but wait until you try it.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging everything in low trash areas works good, it won't drive you nuts, now hi trash areas will drive you crazy, but on the other hand sometimes a trashy signal can be a piece of gold jewelry. Keep working with your current detector and see what kind of results you get.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Digging everything in low trash areas works good, it won't drive you nuts, now hi trash areas will drive you crazy, but on the other hand sometimes a trashy signal can be a piece of gold jewelry. Keep working with your current detector and see what kind of results you get.

Here here... Ug

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only dig everything on one site I detect. It had mass activity from 1839-1930s. None since. Other than that, I gotta have discrimination. My back can't take it. ;)
Good luck
Peace

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does it really matter what detector you use if you dig everything anyway.right now I have a minelab sd 2200.it has a discrimination although probay not the best.its mainly for gold hunting, I get that.what im wondering is if this will work fine for me if im going to dig everything anyway.should I maybe think about trading this thing for something that is a good all around machine.I need this thing for gold hunting but if there is something that would work good for everything I might be willing to give this detector up.I cant really afford to go out and buy another detector right now so any suggestions would be great.thanks

If you are going to use the SD for gold nugget hunting, or as a relic hunter in Civil War farm field locations, then great choice. If you want to hunt for jewelry and coins in parks and woods, then bad choice. In another month, this question will seem as dumb to you, as it does to us. Just get out there and metal detect.

OP
OP
D

danec71

Oct 14, 2014
washington
Detector(s) used
At gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought there wasnt a such thing as a dumb question.I reread my question and I could probably rephrase alittle.the sd 2200 is a specialized machine for prospecting.I know different metaldetectors operate at different frequencies and with or without discrimination.the point I was trying to get across is wether or not this detector will even work very good as an all around machine or shouldi sell or trade for something that will be good for both nugget hunting and relic hunting and coins.yes I will probably dig everything just so I dont miss something but I dont want to miss a nice silver coin down 6 inches because the minelab doesnt like silver.I dont know.if someone has a suggestion for something better to be swinging than this minelab I could probably sell it and buy something else.if the minelab has a great operating frequency for everything than im good and I will deal with the bad discrimination for now and have fun just finding stuff.thanks.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought there wasnt a such thing as a dumb question.I reread my question and I could probably rephrase alittle.the sd 2200 is a specialized machine for prospecting.I know different metaldetectors operate at different frequencies and with or without discrimination.the point I was trying to get across is wether or not this detector will even work very good as an all around machine or shouldi sell or trade for something that will be good for both nugget hunting and relic hunting and coins.yes I will probably dig everything just so I dont miss something but I dont want to miss a nice silver coin down 6 inches because the minelab doesnt like silver.I dont know.if someone has a suggestion for something better to be swinging than this minelab I could probably sell it and buy something else.if the minelab has a great operating frequency for everything than im good and I will deal with the bad discrimination for now and have fun just finding stuff.thanks.

Sell it. Good for what its designed for, terrible as an all-around unit.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
, I gotta have discrimination. My back can't take it. ;)
Yup, I am good for an hour or two, then the lower back is shot. Then I start to lean on the machines sounds/and or numbers and I get much pickier. But then, it also depends on the site.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are coin shooting or going for jewelry, then discrimination and target ID are important. In those places digging everything is impractical. Especially jewelry. You are looking to cover ground, not get bogged down in the trash. Knowing where you hunt and why you are finding what you are finding is very important and has nothing to do with the detector.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started detecting in 1975 at age 12
I started with what was known as a TR machine - my first 2 machines had no discrimination -
I dug everything - and when I got older and other detectorists started buying machines with
discrim. - I found stuff they missed - mostly behind guys that ran to high
to me todays TH'ers are spoiled - and many miss stuff using discrim still
Im mostly a water hunter and I have a machine that has discrim. but I hunt 99% of the time in all metal
and I hit spots all the time guys say are clean and find deep old stuff they missed cause you lose depth when you discrim. and also small gold
and other items they dicrim by running to high
this is what I tell people - if you are hitting a spot that is near to home and you'll be hitting often - whether a beach a field a park etc
try and take it all out - that way you'll have piece of mind you got all you could
if your on vacation or going to a spot hours away and your time is limited - then go for the goods

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started detecting in 1975 at age 12
I started with what was known as a TR machine - my first 2 machines had no discrimination -
I dug everything - and when I got older and other detectorists started buying machines with
discrim. - I found stuff they missed - mostly behind guys that ran to high
to me todays TH'ers are spoiled - and many miss stuff using discrim still
Im mostly a water hunter and I have a machine that has discrim. but I hunt 99% of the time in all metal
and I hit spots all the time guys say are clean and find deep old stuff they missed cause you lose depth when you discrim. and also small gold
and other items they dicrim by running to high
this is what I tell people - if you are hitting a spot that is near to home and you'll be hitting often - whether a beach a field a park etc
try and take it all out - that way you'll have piece of mind you got all you could
if your on vacation or going to a spot hours away and your time is limited - then go for the goods

I appreciate your experience and opinion Casper, but I do not totally agree with it. Some folks love the hobby as much as you but may have physical limitations to a greater or lesser extent, limited time etc. Or they may simply not care if they miss a few gold rings when they choose not to dig all those pull tab signals. Of course you are correct that we miss nice finds by cherry picking with discrimination, but it is a choice, or necessity, for some folk. I do not feel "spoiled" because a detector gives me enough information to make a reasonable choice whether to dig or not.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hrm, it might be helpful to point out that there is a big difference in the use of a PI machine for general metal detecting as relates to a VLF machine.

dance71 : PI, Pulse Induction, detectors are no good for discrimination. They do not make good all around detectors because they will make you dig it all. If your fine with that then don't worry; You will find that silver coin at 6 inches~ plus every scrap of metal besides and chase those itty bitties for an hour only to find junk. There really is no such thing as discrimination with this type of detector though some can somewhat distinguish iron and you can tune out small targets to a degree with others. As Terry kinda pointed out~ beaches and fields (for relics) are about the only good areas outside of the gold fields for this type of detector.
High value low trash environments are where these detectors excel for depth and sensitivity.

VLF detectors are closer to the mark for what your asking~ however they are not all around detectors either. You have your gold, beach and land/water detectors. For what you seem to be looking for a good land/water detector would be best. You can use these for gold prospecting however don't expect the performance you get with a PI~ this is due to the different operating principle of a VLF and how it views and deals with mineralization as well as other things.
VLF's offer a lot of information that PI's just can not do. You want to dig everything~ ok I get that however you will most likely find out you don't have all day to dig everything, or you'll get frustrated/tired/ect..., and you'll start using the advantages of discrimination and VDI read outs to pick your way thru the trashy area you hope is a honey hole full of goodies.

There are no dumb questions :) If your looking to get outta the gold fields you can trade out your 2200 and have more than enough for any mid to high end VLF in the market. Read around a bit and do some research on what kind of features you want. If you still want to dig everything then pick up a unit that has excellent All Metal mode with some sort of VDI and get to digging. Expect a learning curve~ a PI is very easy to use but a VLF takes hours to understand and tweek till you max your digs on the good stuff.
Luck to ya and keep swinging.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I'm hunting the beaches I hunt in all metal and switch to discrimination when target is found, I then dig everything that doesn't null... Seen too many gold rings that sounded like a pull tabs or can slaw when first scanned. I don't want to walk away from a $10,000 diamond ring because I was too lazy to dig that "pull tab".

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a newbie. This is my first year hunting. There are many others here who have many more years of metal detecting than I. I can only impart what little experience I have gained and what works for me. I first of all got into this as a hobby not a vocation. I got into it to have fun not work. When it starts to become work for me, is the time I will sell the detector. I have no illusions of becoming rich from this hobby. I live in a town of 30,000 people so the volume of finds decrease compared to someone who lives in Boston or someone who lives by the beach that sees 30,000 people there in a day. I accept that I will probably never find a large cent or a civil war buckle. My state is not that old. Most of the silver coins were found years ago by guys that have been detecting for 20 years. So I accept that in my area coin shooting and jewelry are going to be my best bet. When I am not detecting (which is almost daily), I am reading and watching videos of detecting. Because it is fun. Every piece of trash I have dug is experience, and every good find a gift.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does it matter which car you drive if you stay on the road?

Of coarse it matters. Certain detectors have designs and features that suit certain conditions better. If you find one that fits you and your detecting needs you'll be happier than trying to make an unsuitable one work for you. Even if you dig everything you will find that your soil and surroundings have qualities that favor a certain detector over another.

Some prefer very automated detectors, some prefer to do their own adjustments for better control, and some like both options to be more adaptable to changing conditions.

OP
OP
D

danec71

Oct 14, 2014
washington
Detector(s) used
At gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright I think we are done here.ddancer pretty much had what I was lookinng for.thanks for all the replies.im not an expert on detectors so im sorry that I seemed to have annoyed a couple of you guys.

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i NEVER use my disc. only because i want to find that silver next to the piece of iron. ive dug IHs all across the spectrum of signals.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries. Cant speak for everyone here but we kinda hang out to help out ;) *and annoy each other, HAHH!* Welcome to Tnet.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Most hunters with a good detector dig everything ONCE, then when they ID that same # as the junk find, they skip over it.

Now at the beach, it is so easy to scoop that most probably scoop everything.

Now when I am hunting a small old yard, I actually do dig every target because I once found a gold ring under a nail when I checked the hole.
Frank five star.png
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread