Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes I'm ready I have geothermal

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda makes me wish I'd have gone ahead and put that wood stove in! From what I've been hearing from my farmer buddies, This winter may be as bad or worse than the last:dontknow: Better keep stacking Frank!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a stacking! I actually like it when trees fall on my driveway (a kilometer long). Those falls mean I don't have to go looking for dead trees :) Got another one yesterday, the winds down in SW Virginia were howling.

I'm also needing some of them toys Frank has!

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're ready down here!
3 or 4 Duraflame logs gets us thru harsh seasons.
I bet yours don't do colors also.
It's having to running the a/c, to enjoy, we dislike.
Lol, Ray

I do wish all a safe winter

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
We've been getting ready as well. Cut and split about 6 chords total. The old timers say it's going to be a bad winter but who knows. They say that nearly every year. We should know by March if it's true or not. Oh well the weather is changing here in sw Colorado and we're burning the fireplace nearly every day now. Frankn I like your pretty blue splitter. Mine is yellow go figure. 001.JPG

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Working away. Ready for this year except moving it a bit closer. Have to still cut up next year's.

HPIM1430.jpg

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well I have about 10 dead locus up on the hill. That's just two by the splitter. I think the vines kill the trees. Frank five star.png
zwood.jpg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just one year prior. She's a 1956 Ford 640.

More a blunt instrument than a parade float puller - but everything works. Converted to 12V neg. ground and the rear rims are replacements. When I bought her she had been sitting and the wheels were filled with calcium chloride for ballast and were corroded badly.

HPIM1906.jpg

This time of year she has a special duty.

DSCN0662.jpg

I even made a "Mini Me" lawn tractor - rebuilt and repainted an old Agway mower. Originally all blue.

HPIM2530.jpg

Winters are long hereabouts.

Since replaced with a Husqvarna 24 Hp that's a delight. 3 Hp less than the Ford and 1/1,000th of the torque. Every so often my mind wanders off and that Ford reminds me it deserves respect. Have a finger it ate but a nice surgeon was able to put it back (Note - never try to clean a mouse nest out of the engine while it is running!). Have had a couple other stupid near-misses where the front wheels have been at eye level when I was carrying too much wood in the carry-all and the grade was too steep. Happily the carry-all works like the old wheelie casters on drag cars. She has the power to flip herself over on her back without missing a beat. Yikes! One reason I like this model is that the PTO can be disengaged when not needed. Live PTOs REALLY worry me.

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

More a blunt instrument than a parade float puller - but everything works. Converted to 12V neg. ground and the rear rims are replacements. When I bought her she had been sitting and the wheels were filled with calcium chloride for ballast and were corroded badly.

View attachment 1074978

View attachment 1074980

I even made a "Mini Me" lawn tractor - rebuilt and repainted an old Agway mower. Originally all blue.

View attachment 1074985

Since replaced with a Husqvarna 24 Hp that's a delight. 3 Hp less than the Ford and 1/1,000th of the torque. Every so often my mind wanders off and that Ford reminds me it deserves respect. Have a finger it ate but a nice surgeon was able to put it back (Note - never try to clean a mouse nest out of the engine while it is running!). Have had a couple other stupid near-misses where the front wheels have been at eye level when I was carrying too much wood in the carry-all and the grade was too steep. Happily the carry-all works like the old wheelie casters on drag cars. She has the power to flip herself over on her back without missing a beat. Yikes! One reason I like this model is that the PTO can be disengaged when not needed. Live PTOs REALLY worry me.

Nice tractor, and nice to see someone take the time to keep a good old tractor going.

When we bought our place I bellied up and got myself a utility tractor. Didn't have the spare time to buy old and fix up, so I had to buy new (Korean). I know what you mean about respect though. My Branson has had the front wheels off the ground a few times. They call that the "pucker factor". I don't know what I would do without my liitle red tractor.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1074978

View attachment 1074980

View attachment 1074985

Nice looking ford! Mower is killer too! I'll def show this to one of my farmer buddies. I'll tell him you use it to pull deer and John Deere out of the field :laughing7:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know what type wood is available for you'll but I have a book that tells the BTU's (British thermal units) for a cord in millions of BTU's..
I was surprised that of those listed about 60 species, pinon pine was the highest at 33.5/cord. Next is Osage orange at 32.9/cord.
Then hickory at 29.21 dogwood at 27 then oak at 26.39. Chestnut's the lowest on this list at 12.9/cord. Locust at 27.3/cord.
The wood I buy is mostly cedar (that wasn't on the list) pinon and juniper. Pine is available but burns smokey and sparks.
The pinon also burns smokey but is very hot.
They rate wood as only 55% efficient. The lowest of the common fuels.
This information was from Handyman in Your pocket, Young & Glover Sequoia Publishing.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MMMM.. Pinion Nuts..... Pinyon? Where does that tasty Mesquite come in Hvacker?

Uhm Frankn... you seem a little light. lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

Well, that was only 2 locust trees, all split now. I have at least 10 dead locust with the bark falling off that are next. I have an eye operation tomorrow and have to take it easy for a week, then the 10 come down. I am setting up the heater now. It is a surplus Marine tent heater lol. It will actually heat my slab for nice even heat floor to ceiling. Then there's the 5 wooded acres in the back. Most firewood around here is locust or red oak. If it gets really cold and the power goes out, I can heat with wood and use my MH generator to run the circulation pump for the slab heat. Got to think ahead, right now, I am a little behind as you noted, lol Frank five star.png

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Locust trees there have spikes? Hate those!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey I didn't know this was a " show your tractor thread"

2014-09-23 001 003.JPG

58 ford 1821 industrial, just bought it this year and am trying to finish my plumbing line before winter.

lots of fun digging

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Backhoe comes in mighty handy when you need it, but takes up a lot of room when you don't.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other

The list doesn't include Mesquite. Two woods available here, Juniper and Cedar, aren't on it either.
Some here make jelly from Mesquite beans. Not really beans but kinda look like them. I have a nice Pinon tree in my yard that has never given me a single nut. I don't know if they need to be stressed or if there are girl and boy Pinons. The tree looks super healthy so not sure why.

I see your sig line has Hoffer's quote. That is a very important book. Anyone wondering why some people get involved in mass movements need to read Hoffer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread